Artificial pitches a step closer to a return in English football

CumbrianRam

English football is a step closer to reintroducing artificial pitches after the Football League announced plans to seek opinion on their possible return.

The public consultation will run until the end of April 2012 and canvas the views of clubs, fans and officials.

The Football League's chief operating officer, Andy Williamson, said there was a "clear appetite" to reconsider the use of artificial surfaces.

BBC Sport broke the news last year that artificial pitches could return.

Support is strongest in League One and League Two, where clubs are attracted by the potential financial benefits to be gained from the installation of an artificial surface.

Williamson added: "It is fair to say the Football League currently has an open mind on the issue.

"However, it is a decision that will clearly have implications for all those with an interest in professional football. It is important that everybody gets the opportunity to have their say."

The League has released a 32-page consultation document and fans can take part in a survey on its website.

It is also set to seek the opinion of bodies such as the Football Association, the Premier League, The Professional Footballers' Association and the League Managers Association.

The FA has yet to comment on the news but Premier League rule I.29 states "no league match shall be played on an artificial surface".

Accrington Stanley chief executive Rob Heys has been a long-term advocate of a return to artificial turf and told BBC Sport the public consultation was "a good step".

"I am very pleased," said Heys. "The Football League might be one of the oldest leagues in the world but it is very forward thinking.

"It is another big step that it is being considered. The Football League has put a lot of time into the document and will also do so in gathering the results.

"There is a lot of positive feeling, not so much that everyone wants one [an artificial pitch] but there has been a definite drop in opposition to them."

Several clubs are considering installing artificial pitches

The Football League clubs agreed to the public consultation at a quarterly meeting of all 72 League members, which took place at Derby's Pride Park on Thursday.

The aim is to gather as much information as possible before the League's summer conference, which is scheduled to take place between 29 May and 1 June.

Artificial surfaces were banned by the Football Association in 1988 and the last remaining one in the top four divisions - at Preston North End's Deepdale - was ripped up in 1994.

However, it is understood that advances in technology, combined with the possible financial and community benefits, has led to a rethink on the subject.

The Football League gave a presentation on the possibility of a return to artificial surfaces at a meeting in November, and there was a subsequent discussion among the clubs at divisional level.

Speaking shortly after that meeting Wycombe vice-chairman Brian Kane told BBC Sport: "I thought a move towards a return to artificial surfaces would never happen but I sense that has changed now."

And Stanley's Heys is in no doubt about the benefits lower down the Football League.

"There is an income to be gained from hiring the pitch out and money to be saved in maintenance costs and the fact that you can train on it," he explained.

THE FIRST AGE OF ARTIFICIAL SURFACES IN ENGLAND

QPR 1981-1988

Luton 1985-1991

Oldham 1986-1991

Preston 1986-1994

"The community benefit is that you can get people down to the ground seven days a week rather than just 23 times [a season]."

However, there is less support from Championship clubs, who would need to replace an artificial surface if they won promotion to the Premier League.

Former Burnley chief executive Paul Fletcher, an ex-professional with vast experience in stadium development, is firmly against the idea.

"I hope they do not appear anytime soon," he said towards the end of last year.

Since 2004, world football governing body Fifa and Uefa, which runs European football, has sanctioned the use of artificial surfaces in their competitions.

There are currently artificial pitches in use in Italy, France, the Netherlands, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Russia, Switzerland, Belgium and a number of other European countries.

Rugby League side Widnes Vikings also play on an artificial pitch, although the surface was criticised after their recent Super League match against Wakefield.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17064905]http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17064905

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We use an artificial pitch over here....and I have to say, it is amazing...the surface is perfect, it is great for playing passing football on, and once more....we have no games ever ever postponed, we play in -20 with snow all over it...no problems at all.

it has moved on so much more since the carpet that Luton and QPR used to have that is for sure.

I played on Oldham's pitch once and it was awful. The surface was like sandpaper and every bounce was 30 foot in the air.

We won though......

Was it the plastic pitch when we went up there and beat them 4-1 in King Arthur's championship winning season? and they were our main rivals at the time too..

We use an artificial pitch over here....and I have to say, it is amazing...the surface is perfect, it is great for playing passing football on, and once more....we have no games ever ever postponed, we play in -20 with snow all over it...no problems at all.

it has moved on so much more since the carpet that Luton and QPR used to have that is for sure.

Without the harsh weather 99% of the time we can't justify having artificial surfaces in Blighty. They will always be regarded with scepticism over here and for the few games that called off they are not worth it and the side that has an artificial pitch has a massive advantage over a visiting team that is used to grass. It is the lower leagues that miss out mainly with games being called off but they wouldn't be able to afford artificial pitches anyway.

Without the harsh weather 99% of the time we can't justify having artificial surfaces in Blighty. They will always be regarded with scepticism over here and for the few games that called off they are not worth it and the side that has an artificial pitch has a massive advantage over a visiting team that is used to grass. It is the lower leagues that miss out mainly with games being called off but they wouldn't be able to afford artificial pitches anyway.

That is the other thing.....I know that we paid almost 1 million Euro's for ours.....after 20 years of fund raising for it I might add...so I am doubting that the lower league teams could even afford it....

Burton Albion played half a season in three months. It's a little more than just the odd game. It's a real problem.

For me the solution is not artificial pitches.

Burton Albion played half a season in three months. It's a little more than just the odd game. It's a real problem.

For me the solution is not artificial pitches.

That was exceptional though, not a regular occurrence. Like I say it is the smaller/ lower league teams that are affected and they wouldn't be able to afford a plastic pitch.

and once more....we have no games ever ever postponed, we play in -20 with snow all over it...no problems at all.

Wouldn't have helped Derby V Forest go ahead though would it? Unless you plan to lay underground heating over the whole of the east midlands.

The real problem is compensation culture. Hopefully the cretins in office may be starting to do something about this now.

Doesn't look like it will be at PP anytime soon.

Here's a quote from TG in todays DT - and try not to laugh as you're reading it..

"It is not something we are looking at right now for 2 reasons. We do not think there is a strong appetite for artificial pitches in the Championship. That is our observation and as a club that expects to be in the Premier League, we are mindful of the PL's stance on artificial pitches."

• 2 weeks later...

The old AstroTurf-like stuff was utterly terrible. But these days artificial grass has taken great strides. The stuff they use for K-States football field and the pitch at our old Memorial Stadium(which is often used for by our club "soccer" team, another local private college, and by our rugby club) would work quite well for it I think. You hardly notice the difference at any rate, and it's far more consistent and enduring than real grass can be over a long season.

Archived