Millwall v Derby County

CumbrianRam

Board out, who in? I don't want a sugar daddy. I don't want to see a Chelsea, Man City or Leicester situation at Derby. I want a board that cares about the club not treating it as a business to make money from. I want a board that sees where we were last season and where we are now and makes sensible investment to get us into the top 6. Anyone who doesn't want Derby in the Premier League is mad. We are one of the top 20 clubs in English football. A premier league Derby could be self financing no problem.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Therein lies the problem. You don't know who will come in and take over.

You don't want a board that makes a profit yet you don't want a sugar daddy. You don't want a board that donates tens of millions, just a board prepared to punt in single figure millions.

Fans talk about 3 or 4 million quid like it's spare change.

Absolutely agree, we don't want Venkys or SISU or the 3 Amigos either. My point is sensible investment to push on but with, say, resale value like we have now. That's why I'm behind Clough. I only see a bad outcome to our time with this board though.

I am happy with the Board who I think run the club sensibly and in a sustainable way; meaning that DCFC are at no risk of becoming insolvent. A lot of the clamour for them to spend more money is another way of saying either

a) "donate more out of your own pocket"

This assumes that all owners of football clubs should simply donate out of the goodness of their heart in a Jack Walker/Nigel Doughtykind of way. And it's simply not realistic to expect every owner of every football club to wish to do this. In fact, they do donate a few million every year to cover our current losses. We should be grateful for that. The alternative is that they didn't do that and our debt would grow, meaning we'd face big problems in the future. The clamour for 'Board out' seems to imply that there are millionaire businessmen queuing up who'd more than happily write off larger amounts than the current board each season (ignoring the fact FFP will not even allow this in a few years). Now people can go back and say "well they promised this and they promised that". But the fact of the matter is we are where we are. And that's in a much better position than most Championship clubs.

or b ) "I don't expect the owners to spend more themselves but finance more spending by getting the club into more debt" thereby risking the clubs's future"

Well, aside from FFP putting limits on this, it's just not sensible. One the one hand it could all work, we go up, and cover the debt by Premiership TV money. But it isn't a sure thing and, if it fails, the very viability of the club becomes at risk. And if we become insolvent or even a very big credit risk, it could take years and years and years to recover with much of fans income spent on paying large interest payments on debt (which would be a high rate reflecting the increased credit risk) leaving even less available for wages. The clubs that tried this and failed outnumber those who tried and succeeded.

I don't want Nigel Clough to go. I think he's done a very good job in producing a good team on about half the wages he had before (if I had to cut my staff wage bill in half, I'd struggle to keep the performance level the same). But having done so, I'd like him to encourage the team to take a few risks now and again to liven up the entertainment a bit.

apart from all that, are we happy ?

Happy?..Ah, yes I remember that 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Watching Giggs, Valencia and Scholes yesterday did remind me that we are still come way off the Big Time. What a difference it would make if we could get a couple of real quality wide midfield players. If we couldn't score then, it would be reasonable enough to have a go at the strikers. At the moment, they don't get a deal of service. Nobody's fault, just a fact that our midfielders are happier in the middle. I'd laugh my lower half if Doyle did come through though. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't look to have much going for him but I've no idea whether I'm right because I've hardly ever seen him play.

Happy?..Ah, yes I remember that 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Watching Giggs, Valencia and Scholes yesterday did remind me that we are still come way off the Big Time. What a difference it would make if we could get a couple of real quality wide midfield players. If we couldn't score then, it would be reasonable enough to have a go at the strikers. At the moment, they don't get a deal of service. Nobody's fault, just a fact that our midfielders are happier in the middle. I'd laugh my lower half if Doyle did come through though. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't look to have much going for him but I've no idea whether I'm right because I've hardly ever seen him play.

'Hi Nigel, this Tom. Look, I'm getting a lot of flack from back home. The folks say they haven't seen Offensive Quarter Back Conor Doyle for a while. He is the face of Wheatos Golden Syrup loops. Give the guy a couple of run outs this semester will you? Oh, and put Buxton on first - it will make Conor look even more wholesome!'

tbf, i'm not happy about yesterday. Getting a point at Millwall doesn't please me. But if Bryson had of scored i'd be as happy as a pig in shizzle.

With some tough games coming up that are either a) teams we never do well against, b.) Grounds we never get owt from or c) teams in top form..... i think this is valuable points lost.

Bryson should be dropped to the reserves no matter what, eventually to be transfered to Reading on a free. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

I think a playoff team would have needed the 3 points yesterday at a struggling Millwall, we're not a playoff team so have to put it in context. Having said that I'd like to see a lot more ambition away from home, I'd have rather have lost yesterday (and I mean that genuinely) on a counter attack or something if I'd have thought Derby were throwing the kitchen sink at Millwall to get the 3 points. Just seems very uninspiring to expect to see Buxton on within the last 10 minutes or so to shore up a point or consolidate a defeat.

I think a playoff team would have needed the 3 points yesterday at a struggling Millwall, we're not a playoff team so have to put it in context. Having said that I'd like to see a lot more ambition away from home, I'd have rather have lost yesterday (and I mean that genuinely) on a counter attack or something if I'd have thought Derby were throwing the kitchen sink at Millwall to get the 3 points. Just seems very uninspiring to expect to see Buxton on within the last 10 minutes or so to shore up a point or consolidate a defeat.

I despair of Clough's Conference League vision, tactics and playing style - I don't think he is intelligent enough to be able to make telling substitutions or change our playing formation in order to change a game in our favour 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I despair of Clough's Conference League vision, tactics and playing style - I don't think he is intelligent enough to be able to make telling substitutions or change our playing formation in order to change a game in our favour 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

One consistency I do hold on Clough is that his substitutions are far too often reactive rather than proactive or negative rather than positive. As an additional note I've no idea why Conor Doyle was even on the bench yesterday let alone given a cameo appearance for a few seconds- totally bizarre. I don't need to labour Bris Vegas's main point of view but its no coincidence we have a beyond derisory goal scoring record in the last 10-15 minutes of games.

I think thats way too harsh. Wedo tho need more attacking options, looks like Nobel wil go back to Sunderland so we need someone else.

Re 451 away from home I'm watching West Brom p*ss on Wolves playing that formation. 7 attempts on target to 0. The front 6 for West Brom, plus the 2 full backs and even 1 centre half all playing the ball to feet excellently. I hope our players are watching!

Re 451 away from home I'm watching West Brom p*ss on Wolves playing that formation. 7 attempts on target to 0. The front 6 for West Brom, plus the 2 full backs and even 1 centre half all playing the ball to feet excellently. I hope our players are watching!

They could watch all afternoon but they aren't good enough to play that way. Not a criticism, just reality. I think we're about 10 players short of a decent Premiership team and 4 from being a Championship Top 6 team. As for Clough not wanting to "go for it" in the last 15 minutes, I just think he's happy to pick up points to assure safety, something he hasn't been able to enjoy in previous seasons. There aren't too many who would have put up with a defeat yesterday if we had tried to be more attacking in the closing minutes and blown it. If we'd have lost, the usual brigade would have been here within seconds.

A 4-5-1 can be a pretty attacking formation. It just depends upon how you set your team up.

Archived