public sector workers strike

Dangerous

You are trying to be clever. Everybody will be working longer the pension age is going up to 67 for all, the vast majority will not get a worse pension result they are just having to pay more in themselves, which is fair still the taxpayer will fund the majority.

I have been accused of not knowing what I am talking about but my Mrs is a teacher and a damned good one and I know what she gets and what she does. She knows she is on a god thing but unlike a lot of others in that profession she did other things before becoming a teacher so she appreciates it. Her school stayed open yesterday.

No I am not trying to be clever, I am clever and am simply making a decent argument, something which you fail to grasp. The vast majority will get a worse pension, the pension age is going up by a singular year, and people accept that. What people don't accept is when the teachers pensions is self sustainable yet it's being changed. People also don't accept an impoverished pension and they shouldn't accept it. What people also don't like is contracts being changed, pay frozen and then going up by 1% which could result in a real terms decrease of almost 15% yet paying more and receiving less.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you talk rot, what about people who care passionately what they are doing and are not totally self centered? generally people don't go into nursing or teaching for the pay packet, it's because they love it and want to help others. Actually some could lose tends of thousands of pounds through this "good" deal, we don't have good pensions in Britain unlike in Germany.

They are not losing anything they are putting more in themselves and the taxpayer less. If they did not modernise these pensions the money would have to come from somewhere else and more Public Sector jobs would be at risk, with people who get much inferior package than teachers. A friend works in a SureStart centre and they will be nervous for several years. These are the people the Unions should be working for saving as many jobs as they can.

They are not losing anything they are putting more in themselves and the taxpayer less. If they did not modernise these pensions the money would have to come from somewhere else and more Public Sector jobs would be at risk, with people who get much inferior package than teachers. A friend works in a SureStart centre and they will be nervous for several years. These are the people the Unions should be working for saving as many jobs as they can.

some are losing money ianm, the teachers pension pot at the moment is self sustainable so no need to modernise there, same with the nhs pension scheme as well. Anyway we are going round and round in circles so am withdrawing as it is pointless fighting ignorance.

No I am not trying to be clever, I am clever and am simply making a decent argument, something which you fail to grasp. The vast majority will get a worse pension, the pension age is going up by a singular year, and people accept that. What people don't accept is when the teachers pensions is self sustainable yet it's being changed. People also don't accept an impoverished pension and they shouldn't accept it. What people also don't like is contracts being changed, pay frozen and then going up by 1% which could result in a real terms decrease of almost 15% yet paying more and receiving less.

No you don't sound very clever to me you are spouting left-wing union dogma and I worked for years in the Post Office and I have heard it all before, it didn't do the Post Office staff any favours and it won't work with these pensions either.

The pensions are being modified because the state can't afford to keep paying such huge pension contributions any longer, it would have been the same under Labour it was a Labour guy who made the recommendations. The vast majority will not get a worse pension they will just pay a higher contribution themselves, these Pensions will not be impoverished only 12% of Private Sector pensions will offer the same guarantees.

With the pay rises they had years of excellent settlements especially when Tony Blair was in charge, when times are tough you have to ride it out and try and protect your job. If pay rises were on the table more jobs would go. Still Public Sector pay is going up as they are finding ways of getting more on higher pay bands. Reports state Mr Osbourne is having a god look at this.

Brilliance of the highest order there YR 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

some are losing money ianm, the teachers pension pot at the moment is self sustainable so no need to modernise there, same with the nhs pension scheme as well. Anyway we are going round and round in circles so am withdrawing as it is pointless fighting ignorance.

Of course they are sustainable because the Taxpayer is putting most of the money in, a lot of which is from people who will only benefit from the basic State Pension.

I think it is you who is ignorant of how difficult it is for small business in these times, you proved that with the student remarks about private pensions.

This has been doing my head in all night, can someone just pull ladyrams finger. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Hahahahahaha 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> go on, I dare ya but beware the wrath of Darth, he's one bad dood. I take no responsibility for his actions. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

No you don't sound very clever to me you are spouting left-wing union dogma and I worked for years in the Post Office and I have heard it all before, it didn't do the Post Office staff any favours and it won't work with these pensions either.

The pensions are being modified because the state can't afford to keep paying such huge pension contributions any longer, it would have been the same under Labour it was a Labour guy who made the recommendations. The vast majority will not get a worse pension they will just pay a higher contribution themselves, these Pensions will not be impoverished only 12% of Private Sector pensions will offer the same guarantees.

With the pay rises they had years of excellent settlements especially when Tony Blair was in charge, when times are tough you have to ride it out and try and protect your job. If pay rises were on the table more jobs would go. Still Public Sector pay is going up as they are finding ways of getting more on higher pay bands. Reports state Mr Osbourne is having a god look at this.

Actually the changes to the indexing of pensions means they will be worth less when people retire.

Well looks like I missed happy hour.

To sum up though it does seem ianm is trying to prove that famous saying " bullshit baffles brains", don't think it's working. Don't worry Boycie your safe from his attempts

(null)

You were a Union guy and a Teacher, it will be a miracle if you were not to be indoctrinated spouting bullshit.

With respect and I like the way you post and argue, most of what you come out with would confirm this.

Actually the changes to the indexing of pensions means they will be worth less when people retire.

They will still be a lot better than the vast majority of others end up with, a big proportion will get nothing more than state pension.

The Unions should make the best of a tough situation and this and get the best they can out of this but focus their efforts on saving as many jobs as they can. Particularly that Scouse clown Prentis of Unison, who has so many not knowing when the axe will fall.

And you don't.

No I don't it is just I am not frightened to post what people might not want to hear.

On the football side what have I posted that is not correct or likely to be correct. It's just I have followed them for to long for me to join the everything is rosy in the garden.

Ianm, you seem to be falling into the trap of seeing this issue as a Labour-Tory, Left wing-Right wing issue. It really is not.

If you get chance read "23 Things they don't tell you about capitalism", Its by some Cambridge professor, a Korean I believe but I can't remember his name.

Its not anti-capitalism, its about the lies peddled by spin doctors, vested interests and political parties who are reliant on big money backers....

The austerity cuts going on across Europe and the UK are NOT necessary......we are brainwashed into thinking they are by a media that is owned and controlled by the very people pushing the idea.

The transfer of wealth from the lowest earners to the wealthiest in the last 30 years has been phenomenal.....the pressure groups in the USA are using the term, "we are the 99%"....the 1% are shafting all of us and laughing their corporate ****** off as we fight among oursens.

But that is where the goverment saves money in the long run. By indexing pensions less favourably they will be paying less in the future and so the liability is reduced. This makes the scheme more sustainable so why reduce liability and make people pay mor too?

(null)

I don't think their is too much doubt that it is fair that a greater percentage of the pension should be paid by the recipient not the taxpayer. I think most of the people wanting to strike on this only see the reduced bottom line on the wageslip every month, a lot in the councils though are just happy to keep a job, with so many losing theirs. That's why the strikes were lower in certain areas.

I don't pretend to know the intricacies of the indexation but you hear different things from different sides. Surely though this is where the sensible Union Leaders can make some gains for their members and the compromise can be reached.

Archived