stand by your man

paddyram

It's time to show some faith in Clough...

• Any manager would have struggled with our injuries and Clough can't be blamed for them. Just severe bad luck.
  • Take the striking partnership (and backup) out of any side at any level and see how they fare.
  • We have 4 (important) players coming back from long lay-offs - Give the lads a chance! Have you ever played football and been injured at any level? It takes weeks to regain sharpness and match fitness and adequate rest time after games. Three games in 6 days doesn't help.
  • Stop moaning - we're skint. We're over budget, can't shift Leacock, Pearson or Bywater to free up the wages. We've still signed a striker, probably the best one available to us at this moment in time. Most teams are skint - get over it. What do people want? Mega investment like Leicester have... Yeah let's just be **** for 130 years and then some bored billionaires decide to adopt us and now we're not quite as **** - where is the fun in that?
  • We go all out at Palace and we've got a great chance after they've been to Old Trafford.
  • We've got a good thing going. A manager who cares about the club, a potentially long serving one. Young players getting match experience this early = potential millions worth of talent.
  • Negativity won't help anyone.
  • He's just signed a new deal so to sack him and pay him off would take away any funds we'd have left for the new guy. Besides the grass isn't always greener.

I'm not saying Clough should be untouchable but let's wait until we've got a fully fit squad and see where we are mid January.

UpTheRams

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might be true. But I find it boring when people call for investment, who are they calling to? I find it boring when people call for Dave Jones, what is he going to do exactly? People constantly saying, 'oh we should have done this.' Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

So sorry to bore you, but it's true.

I'm not calling for investment at the moment cos we already have 37 players on our books

(plus Bennett and loanees Priskin and Kilbane(?))... half of them are tripe or too young.

Fortunately 20 of them are out of contract next summer. I want to watch what Clough's actions will be.

I hope he will get rid most of them and to sign 3-4 decent players. Very doubtful though.

I'm afraid he will renew contrats of **** players like Roberts, Anderson, Buxton e.t.c.

And will pick some young players from lower leagues. That's it. No matter will he be given transfer budget or not.

He doesn't think that players like Sharp worth a million quid after all.

At least dcfcfans.co.uk seems to have 20 new members today. All the same person? Probably.

It's only natural for fans wanting to come online and vent their frustration having lost 5 games in a row and dropping faster than Jordan's knickers down the table. Comments like this are hardly going to welcome any new member so I would like to politely ask you to keep your trap shut unless you have anything useful to add to the thread.

paddyman welcome to the forum.

At least dcfcfans.co.uk seems to have 20 new members today. All the same person? Probably.

Probably yeah. Funny, I've been a member longer than yourself? I'm also Barbara Clough.

I'm not calling for investment at the moment cos we already have 37 players on our books

(plus Bennett and loanees Priskin and Kilbane(?))... half of them are tripe or too young.

Fortunately 20 of them are out of contract next summer. I want to watch what Clough's actions will be.

I hope he will get rid most of them and to sign 3-4 decent players. Very doubtful though.

I'm afraid he will renew contrats of **** players like Roberts, Anderson, Buxton e.t.c.

And will pick some young players from lower leagues. That's it. No matter will he be given transfer budget or not.

Hopefully he does release those players and hopefully he's learnt from the mistakes he's made, I agree with you. I just don't see any other manager in our price range doing any better at the moment.

I'm afraid he will renew contracts of **** players like Roberts, Anderson, Buxton e.t.c.
In Buxton's case, he's on peanuts, so not a bad last resort in a crisis. I can't see Anderson being offered a new deal. We have the likes of Naylor who must surely be at least as capable as Buxton? Roberts will be offered a new deal IMO, he's still the best (only?) left back we have and unless Nigel buys two left backs in the summer, one proven, one prospect, then we will still need Roberts.

Well I'm still optimistic it will still work out for Cloughie campers, a lot are not, entirely their choice.

I agree with Paddy, let's get the squad back to fitness and see what happens because whichever way you look at it, the injuries (again) have been a major hammer blow.

On a lighter note, welcome to the forum Paddy and ta for posting that link, which I played and sang the whole thing through 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> god, that's sooooo bad.

How do you know what manager would or wouldnt take the job, we are Derby County, many in football still see us as a sleeping giant, we still have the ground, Moor farm, over 20 thousand at most games, we have some good players. Worst clubs than us still have plenty of appicants and get good managers. I would say being in a job would be better than being without one and these men love football, thats why they do the job.

How do you know what manager would or wouldnt take the job, we are Derby County, many in football still see us as a sleeping giant, we still have the ground, Moor farm, over 20 thousand at most games, we have some good players. Worst clubs than us still have plenty of appicants and get good managers. I would say being in a job would be better than being without one and these men love football, thats why they do the job.

I'm not sure you can count our own fans as being "in football"

That must be what you mean there - because very time i listen to someone "in football" talk about Deby and the Derby job - I think the words poisoned chalice will have been used as often as "sleeping giant"

Maybe I'm a bit more of a realist - but i don't see us as giants.

I see us a very well supported club who occasionally flirt with the big boys. Usually not lasting long and then invariably followed by 3-5-10 seasons of lower end of the championship.

I'm ducking now and I have my tin hat on.

We are where we've been for so many of the last two decades that I can't understand this outcry...

Yes, yes and thrice yes

Another pointless thread.

boring

Pointless?

Fact and reality as opposed to nonsensical negativity? E£asy to kick somebody on the floor isn't it?

I suppose it's absolutley lost on you that this is a long-term goal. With players returning from injury and youngsters with a bright future gaining valuable experiance, the future is bright.

So stand by your man, the rewards will be all that greater for the patient realists.

COYR

The overwhelming majority of teams that get promoted have a manager in their first full season.

The majority of teams who get relegated have a manager in their first full season - largley because they have recently sacked the last one and the new manager hasn't been able to turn things around.

Statisticaly, sticking with your manager is most likely to result in comfortable mediocrity. I suspect that GSE are trying to get to a point where the club makes an operating profit - allowing a small anual dividend to the investors with the chance of a fluke promotion and a bumper payoff. If that is the plan, then comfortable mediocrity is probably what they want at the moment - hence 'Nigel is our man.'

Personally, I think that it is a flawed plan and merely erodes the club to such an extent that we will eventually fall through the trapdoor and look alarmingly like an average League 1 side.

Sacking Nigel won't change anything because whilst the club are pursuing a cost-cutting agenda the new manager will merely have to continue in the same vein. We need those in charge of the club to pursue an ambitious strategy - then a new manager would be good option.

Another pointless thread.

Same again... injures, no money, bad luck, clough is a genious blah blah blah....

nothing about crap tactics, feckin hootball, stupid subs, piss poor man management e.t.c.

boring

Thread is never ever pointless if I get to listen Tammy Wynette. Even if the audio is not quality.

Archived