NC's signings - good, bad or indifferent

CumbrianRam

Ok there is a lot of debate over the quality of NC's signings in his almost 3 years at DCFC, so I will set up this thread to gage people's views on them.

Permanent

Chris Porter

Lee Croft

Dean Moxey

Jake Buxton

Ben Pringle

Shuan Barker

Saul Deeney

Medi Abalimba

Lee Hendrie

Russel Anderson

John Brayford

James Bailey

Gareth Roberts

Conor Doyle

Ben Davies

Michael Boulding

Craig Bryson

Jason Shackell

Chris Maquire

Nathan Tyson

Adam Legzdins

Chris Riggott

Loan

John Eustace

Barry Bannan

Jake Livermore

Paul Dickov

James Vaughan

Fredrik Stoor

DJ Campbell

Lee Johnson

Nicky Hunt

Javan Vidal

Michael Tonge

Gilles Sunu

Alberto Bueno

Shefki Kuqi

Luke Moore

Ryan Noble

Daniel Sanchez Ayala

Matt Duke

Brad Jones

Kevin Kilbane

Tamas Priskin

Loan turned into permanent

Dave Martin

Tomasz Cywka

Frank Fielding

Jamie Ward

Theo Robinson

Tom Naylor

Seems an awful lot of players mind!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Permanent

Chris Porter - Indifferent

Lee Croft - Indifferent

Dean Moxey - Good

Jake Buxton - Good

Ben Pringle - Indifferent

Shuan Barker - Good

Saul Deeney - Good

Medi Abalimba - Indifferent

Lee Hendrie - Good

Russel Anderson - Good

John Brayford - Good

James Bailey - Good

Gareth Roberts - Good

Conor Doyle - Indifferent

Ben Davies - Good

Michael Boulding - Indifferent

Craig Bryson - Good

Jason Shackell - Good

Chris Maquire - Indifferent

Nathan Tyson - Good

Adam Legzdins - Good

Chris Riggott - Indifferent

Dave Martin - Bad

Tomasz Cywka - Good

Frank Fielding - Good

Jamie Ward - Good

Theo Robinson - Good

Tom Naylor - ?

All in all, Nigel has done very well indeed in the transfer market with such a derisory budget to play with.

This thread just highlights that.

Im still not convinced giving him a good budget would help.

Without a doubt he has the worst contacts/scouting network of any manager we have had that I can think of.

Certainly since the influx of foreign players have hit our country.

Lets not forget bueno only came because of Metgods contacts.

All in all, Nigel has done very well indeed in the transfer market with such a derisory budget to play with.

This thread just highlights that.

I, not suprisingly, disagree.. Very well, in comparison to who? George Burley makes mince meat of this lot..

Ive seen better players signed for less and worse players signed for more.. I think NC as done an OK job in the transfer market, George Burley did alot better and Paul Jewell alot worse

I'd give Clough a 6/10 for his signings

Players like Bayford, Bailey and Fielding were decent given the money

Ward, Robinson, Buxton, Cywka and just about Shackell were good/average for the money

Players like Barker, Porter, Bryson, B.Davies, Maguire, Tyson, Martin, Croft, Roberts (about $3mill + for that lot) and it could have been spent on far far better players.. I'm not just writing off players ability here, as Maguire does have ability, but the way NC has used them..

Every manager makes mistakes, George Burley made a few howlers with the likes of Konjic, Tome, Junior etc.. But managers live by the good ones, it just depends how good are the good ones.. NCs best signings aren't even standout NPC sides, and his bad ones are terrible..

I simply will not believe this ridiculous concept that NC has worked wonders in the transfer market or that no-one could do any better.. I cannot believe it, as I have seen managers given far worse circumstances and come out alot better

The $1mill dollar question I'd like to now is, if given $6mill to spend what type of player woul Clough go for.. Would he look to pick up a player like Commons, Taraabt, Scott Sinclair, Le Fondre, Bueno etc.. or would he go for a few more $1mill singings like Eustace, Barker, Howard etc.. Basically grafters with little quality

I, not suprisingly, disagree.. Very well, in comparison to who? George Burley makes mince meat of this lot..

Ive seen better players signed for less and worse players signed for more.. I think NC as done an OK job in the transfer market, George Burley did alot better and Paul Jewell alot worse

I don't believe we can compare managers operating in the current transfer market to those that had to operate in the days of George Burley. You got a whole lot more for your money in those days and football wasn't as money driven as it is nowadays.

Bargains are very, very hard to find and any British youngsters are overpriced. Any that show a little talent are snapped up by the bigger clubs.

Why don't we look at this a different way to discuss whether Clough has done a good job in the transfer market. If he were to try and sell the players that he has brought in, how much are they likely to be worth and would he be in profit? I would suggest that he would be massively in profit.

Im still not convinced giving him a good budget would help.

Without a doubt he has the worst contacts/scouting network of any manager we have had that I can think of.

Certainly since the influx of foreign players have hit our country.

Lets not forget bueno only came because of Metgods contacts.

I can't understand the criticism of his scouting network, we have some real gems for a pittance. Finding real young talent from places like Kilmarnock, whilst always keeping an eye on local talent. Picking up unheard of players from Crewe and turning them into established Championship players. His network reflects his budget, if he had £1gazillion, then he'd probably have a few more scouts in a few more places.

Overall he's done well for the money spent. I look forward to next summer, when Pearson, Leacock & Bywater are off the budget, and Green is either off the budget, or takes a small cut. Then their is scope to truly judge Nigel. After next summer it will be completely his side, he will have patiently built his own squad, and he will live/die based on next season. This season was always about improvement, and I have confidence that a fit squad can compete towards a mid-table finish. His appointment was for the long term, you can't change a squad in a season on a small budget. And you cannot legislate for our bad luck with injuries.

Permanent

Chris Porter - Poor - injured too much, but probably not Nigel's fault (unless it really is the training regime that is the cause)

Lee Croft - Indifferent - eecently promoted from poor, possibly about to get relegated again

Dean Moxey - Indifferent - was occaisionaly good but usually average, we probably made an overall loss given the agents fees etc

Jake Buxton - Indifferent - cheap, average but too many injuries to be good

Ben Pringle - Indifferent - cheap, poor but no loss made

Shuan Barker - Good - I also believe that we still have not seen the best of him

Saul Deeney - Poor - cheap back up who is never available when needed

Medi Abalimba - Poor - never played for the first team and cost money in wages

Lee Hendrie - Poor - a worthwhile gamble that failed

Russel Anderson Poor - made of chocolate

John Brayford - Good - bogof bargain

James Bailey - Good - see above

Gareth Roberts - Good - cheap and OK

Conor Doyle - Indifferent - cheap and still developing but needs to improve quickly

Ben Davies - Good - I reckon then Priskin will start to make Ben look even more productive

Michael Boulding - Indifferent - cost nothing

Craig Bryson - Good - cheap enough and reasonable at this level

Jason Shackell - Good - solid centre-half

Chris Maquire - Indifferent - avaerage so far

Nathan Tyson - Poor - an unproductive drain on resources

Adam Legzdins - Good - been good cover, even an arguement that he deserves a chance as no. 1 given FF's average form

Chris Riggott - Poor - assuming that he is paid when he doesn't play

Loan

John Eustace - Poor

Barry Bannan - Indifferent

Jake Livermore - Poor

Paul Dickov - Good

James Vaughan - Poor

Fredrik Stoor - Good

DJ Campbell - Good

Lee Johnson - Good

Nicky Hunt - Indifferent

Javan Vidal - Poor

Michael Tonge - Good

Gilles Sunu - Poor

Alberto Bueno - Good

Shefki Kuqi - Good

Luke Moore - Indifferent

Ryan Noble - Poor

Daniel Sanchez Ayala - Good

Matt Duke - Poor - cost money for no product

Brad Jones - Poor

Kevin Kilbane - Indifferent

Tamas Priskin - Good...so far

Tom Naylor - ?, moved from bottom list as he's not signed yet

Dave Martin - Poor - the invisible man

Tomasz Cywka - Indifferent, out of favour but cheap

Frank Fielding - Good, but needs to return to form soon

Jamie Ward - Good, a willing and skillful player

Theo Robinson - Good - suprisingly enough

Overall I think that Nigel has done pretty well in the transfer market. All managers have failures and at least Nigel's have been cheap.

Overall he's done well for the money spent. I look forward to next summer, when Pearson, Leacock & Bywater are off the budget, and Green is either off the budget, or takes a small cut. Then their is scope to truly judge Nigel. After next summer it will be completely his side, he will have patiently built his own squad, and he will live/die based on next season. This season was always about improvement, and I have confidence that a fit squad can compete towards a mid-table finish. His appointment was for the long term, you can't change a squad in a season on a small budget. And you cannot legislate for our bad luck with injuries.

Excellent. Saved me from having to type anything further!

Many of us dont think his problem are in the transfer market, its the rest of his management.

Indeed the list of problems with his general management are longer than that list of players.

His transfer record is ok and probably the strongest area of his tenure here, although not as good as some on here make out. He has signed some good players at low prices Brayford and Bailey are good examples, but on the flip side, one look at that list shows how wasteful he can be as well.

What really makes me laugh though is when people say we will really see what NC can do when Leacock, Byebyewater, Pearson and Green are off the wagebill.

People seem to be suffering from selective amnesia, NC extended the contracts of Green, Pearson and Byewater. Leacock is the only player that he has not had any real input with. So these "restrictions" in the wage bill that he has to contend with are down to his own mismanagement.

Permanent

Chris Porter - Looked like a poor mans Hulse. Average signing

Lee Croft - Good signing, just needs to convince Nige

Dean Moxey - Good signing, just failed to convince Nige

Jake Buxton - Good signing, far too injury prone mind

Ben Pringle - Good siging cheap and provided cover at a time we needed it.

Shuan Barker - Very good signing, will improve as season goes on.

Saul Deeney - Meh! Alright, cheap cover.

Medi Abalimba - Sh!te signing.

Lee Hendrie - Good deal for the club just didnt work out for the team.

Russel Anderson - Same as Buxton

John Brayford - Very Good signing

James Bailey - Good signing, more to come.

Gareth Roberts - Good free transfer, steady player

Conor Doyle - Good signing, can see a good player there.....somewhere

Ben Davies - Good signing, Dont think he should be played out wide though.

Michael Boulding - Meh! Didnt cost owt did he?

Craig Bryson - Good signing and will get better IMO

Jason Shackell - Good signing settled well

Chris Maquire - Think he could end up being a Dickenson, is that Niges fault? Probably so for now bad signing!

Nathan Tyson - I like him to have a run in the Derby team as think he could do well for us, cant really judge him yet as been injured

Adam Legzdins - Good signing will push FF for a starting place

Chris Riggott - Meh! think he is on a pay as you play so we aint lost anything.......yet!

Loan

John Eustace - Good

Barry Bannan - Good

Jake Livermore - Average for us

Paul Dickov - Very Good

James Vaughan - Meh! wasnt nige's fault he got injured

Fredrik Stoor - Very Good

DJ Campbell - Good

Lee Johnson - Good

Nicky Hunt - Average

Javan Vidal - Not very good

Michael Tonge - Good

Gilles Sunu - Average

Alberto Bueno - Good

Shefki Kuqi - Good

Luke Moore - Average

Ryan Noble - Average

Daniel Sanchez Ayala - Good

Matt Duke - We needed cover he provided it!

Brad Jones - Ok

Kevin Kilbane - Average, provides cover in a number of positions but hink theere were better LB's available

Tamas Priskin - Average played well again Ammers but dont really rate hope he proves me wrong!

Dave Martin - Could of worked out for him just think nige has given p on him, Bad siging

Tomasz Cywka - Good needs to work harder

Frank Fielding - Good, hopefully will get better

Jamie Ward - Good

Theo Robinson - Good, hopefully will get better

Tom Naylor - Seems good not seen yet though

That's pretty dam good ratio from our Nige, dont think ppl can qquestion his transfers but could question him being so stuborn when it comes to certain players and sometimes his bizare team selections and subs, I'm still very happy with him and very happy how the team is progressing under him!!!

I'm still very happy with him and very happy how the team is progressing under him!!!

What team are you talking about?

We have the most talentless team in the league that plays crap hoofball week in week out.

This team isn't any better than three years ago. This squad is cheaper and have no quality though.

What team are you talking about?

We have the most talentless team in the league that plays crap hoofball week in week out.

This team isn't any better than three years ago. This squad is cheaper and have no quality though.

I'm not sure if you don't watch much football other than Derby, but that statement is bold, and is very close to being completely untrue.

What team are you talking about? Derby??? Duurrrrrrr

We have the most talentless team in the league that plays crap hoofball week in week out. Thats just not true

This team isn't any better than three years ago. This squad is cheaper and have no quality though. I guess we disagree.......

This is the same team that passed Southampton of the park for a long period of their game and has recorded some very easy wins thus far this season.

Granted our football has not been the best at times but our injury list has much to do with that.

You never have anything good to say about the club. I thouroughly despise your attitude.

This is the same team that passed Southampton of the park for a long period of their game and has recorded some very easy wins thus far this season.

Granted our football has not been the best at times but our injury list has much to do with that.

You never have anything good to say about the club. I thouroughly despise your attitude.

Just LOL.

Archived