NC's signings - good, bad or indifferent

CumbrianRam

This is the same team that passed Southampton of the park for a long period of their game and has recorded some very easy wins thus far this season.

Granted our football has not been the best at times but our injury list has much to do with that.

You never have anything good to say about the club. I thouroughly despise your attitude.

Are you mistaking for the Barnsley game where we dominatd the second half? The only half of the season where we actually

dominated the other team..

Southampton were all over us and could and probably should have won 1-3 or 1-4..

If you think we dominated periods of that Soton game, what did you call the days when we went to places like Sheff Wed under Jim Smith and won 2-5?

I do get worried about our fans at times, and I'm not picking on you mcsilks mate, just talking in general.. But our definition of dominating or playing well has really sunk in recent years.. So that it's even acceptable to lose 0-2 or 1-3 and to say our play wasn't too bad or that we're improving..

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Permanent

Chris Porter - Indifferent

Lee Croft - Indifferent

Dean Moxey - Good

Jake Buxton - Good

Ben Pringle - Indifferent

Shuan Barker - Good

Saul Deeney - Good

Medi Abalimba - Indifferent

Lee Hendrie - Good

Russel Anderson - Good

John Brayford - Good

James Bailey - Good

Gareth Roberts - Good

Conor Doyle - Indifferent

Ben Davies - Good

Michael Boulding - Indifferent

Craig Bryson - Good

Jason Shackell - Good

Chris Maquire - Indifferent

Nathan Tyson - Good

Adam Legzdins - Good

Chris Riggott - Indifferent

Loan turned into permanent

Dave Martin - Bad

Tomasz Cywka - Good

Frank Fielding - Good

Jamie Ward - Good

Theo Robinson - Good

Tom Naylor - ?

All in all, Nigel has done very well indeed in the transfer market with such a derisory budget to play with.

This thread just highlights that.

Nathan Tyson good? we have only had 24 minutes of football from him!!

Permanent

Chris Porter - bad

Lee Croft - bad

Dean Moxey - indifferent

Jake Buxton - bad

Ben Pringle - bad

Shuan Barker - indifferent

Saul Deeney - bad

Medi Abalimba - bad

Lee Hendrie - bad

Russel Anderson - bad

John Brayford - good

James Bailey - indifferent

Gareth Roberts - indifferent

Conor Doyle - indifferent

Ben Davies - indifferent

Michael Boulding - bad

Craig Bryson - indifferent

Jason Shackell - good

Chris Maquire - indifferent

Nathan Tyson - indifferent

Adam Legzdins - indifferent

Chris Riggott - bad

Loan

John Eustace - indifferent

Barry Bannan - indifferent

Jake Livermore - bad

Paul Dickov - good

James Vaughan - indifferent

Fredrik Stoor - indifferent

DJ Campbell - good

Lee Johnson - indifferent

Nicky Hunt - indifferent

Javan Vidal - bad

Michael Tonge - indifferent

Gilles Sunu - bad

Alberto Bueno - good

Shefki Kuqi - good

Luke Moore - good

Ryan Noble - bad

Daniel Sanchez Ayala - indifferent

Matt Duke - bad

Brad Jones - indifferent

Kevin Kilbane - indifferent

Tamas Priskin - good (so far)

Tom Naylor - indifferent

Dave Martin - bad

Tomasz Cywka - indifferent

Frank Fielding - indifferent

Jamie Ward - indifferent

Theo Robinson - indifferent

Shackell and Brayford are far and away Clough's two best signings in my opinion in terms of value for money, consistency of performances, importance to the team, whether they've met or surpassed expectations and resale value. There are others such as Bailey, Barker and Tyson who perhaps warrant being in that bracket but only if they could keep fit and perform well on a consistent basis. Then there are the likes of Ben Davies, Ward, Bryson, Fielding and Robinson who still have a lot to prove with it being their first full season at the club and just need a touch more consistency and reliability to get into that top bracket.

Are you mistaking for the Barnsley game where we dominatd the second half? The only half of the season where we actually

dominated the other team..

Southampton were all over us and could and probably should have won 1-3 or 1-4..

Southampton were all over us in the first half. In the second half, we were excellent at times and there was a 20 minute period when we could have scored 3 goals. Our passing and movement was a pleasure to watch.

Bris and NoternRam clearly watch a different Derby at times if you can not accept that we played well at times against Southampton. You must be absolutely deluded. Yes, they were the beter side overall but I felt we got a deserved draw against one of the best sides in the division. All you can say is we were awful, played hoofball and got played off the park. Your comments are laughable and utterly unsupportive. Don't call yourself a supporter.

I didn't go to the Southampton game, but I read a report in the Daily Star on the Monday after the game and then, using salt, pepper and mustard pots I laid out passages of play from the game.

I couldn't believe we were so negative. Time after time we had the chance to get the ball on the deck and play through the Saints midfield, but every time Clough told the Wholegrain Mustard to hoof the ball to the end of the pitch. What is Clough playing at!

I'm now off to buy some of them football dice a mate of mine used to have at school (althought it might have been cricket) and I'm going to use them to watch the West Ham game. Clough out!

Indeed the list of problems with his general management are longer than that list of players.

His transfer record is ok and probably the strongest area of his tenure here, although not as good as some on here make out. He has signed some good players at low prices Brayford and Bailey are good examples, but on the flip side, one look at that list shows how wasteful he can be as well.

What really makes me laugh though is when people say we will really see what NC can do when Leacock, Byebyewater, Pearson and Green are off the wagebill.

People seem to be suffering from selective amnesia, NC extended the contracts of Green, Pearson and Byewater. Leacock is the only player that he has not had any real input with. So these "restrictions" in the wage bill that he has to contend with are down to his own mismanagement.

I'm absolutely sure there'll be others kicking around to take their place on the naughty bench, like Maguire who must be wondering why he should bother, and did you see Ward's face when he came off to be replaced by someone who doesn't know whether he's coming or going?

I really feel that we've got a reasonable side for this division, and they've shown when they put their mind to it that they can work well for each other. They did seem like a squad of genuine triers at the start of the season, but when the train started going off the rails then Clough was clueless as to how to get it back on track, in fact his attempts at motivation seem to compound it and make matters even worse. It's as though the player's natural exuberence took us up there but the lack of leadership and motivation has meant that it was never going to last.

Looking back at last season as well with the hindsight of this season it appears to me that the players genuinely wanted to play good football, football which took us up the league but it was Clough's stubbornness in eventually forcing us to play negative that eventually eroded the player's spirit and we ended the season in chaos.

It's as if we're doing well in spite of Clough not because of him, and when he does manage to impose his will on the team it's to a detrimental effect.

I'd agree that it's not so much his signings, which are about 50/50, but his general lack of management skills tactical know how and communication skills that are his problem.

Permanent

Chris Porter - Very unlucky with the hip injury.

Lee Croft - Hasn't shown the ability that won him player of the year award at Norwich

Dean Moxey - Very versatile, better than what we currently have.

Jake Buxton - Isn't good enough. Waste of money.

Ben Pringle - See above.

Shuan Barker - Injury prone and a bit over-rated, in my opinion.

Saul Deeney - Signed as back-up but hasn't impressed in the couple of times he's played.

Medi Abalimba - I can't fathom why he bought him in the first place, really. Bizarre.

Lee Hendrie - Should have been a cash only deal for Stewart.

Russel Anderson - Average. Had a great game against Leeds last season.

John Brayford - Great signing with bags of potential.

James Bailey - See above.

Gareth Roberts - League One at his best.

Conor Doyle - Why did we sign him again?

Ben Davies - He's done okay, but he isn't cut out for this level.

Michael Boulding - Wasn't much point in signing him in the first place.

Craig Bryson - Good player. Aside from the WHU game, he has been a consistent performer.

Jason Shackell - There are performances in him than he has shown so far.

Chris Maguire - He has a lot potential. But he doesn't seemed to have settled well.

Nathan Tyson - NC signed him as our main striker. He has 4 goals in 2 years. 'Nuff said.

Adam Legzdins - Very impressed with his performances in the absence of Fielding.

Chris Riggott - He hasn't played yet, looking forward to seeing him back.

Loan

John Eustace - Had just come back from injury, the bad performances were understandable. Shouldn't have signed him.

Barry Bannan - Capable player, did okay for us.

Jake Livermore - He had nothing to offer us.

Paul Dickov - Did surprisingly well for us. Very impressed.

James Vaughan - Not a fan of his.

Fredrik Stoor - Did what he had to do with minimal fuss. Capable player.

DJ Campbell - good

Lee Johnson - Not good, not bad, average player.

Nicky Hunt - He did alright, I expected better.

Javan Vidal -

Michael Tonge - Didn't live up to the hype.

Gilles Sunu -

Alberto Bueno - Too lightweight for the Championship. His thinking was out of our league.

Shefki Kuqi - Should have kept him.

Luke Moore - Did well, but Kuqi suited us better.

Ryan Noble - Too inexperienced.

Daniel Sanchez Ayala - Did well.

Matt Duke - Not bad.

Brad Jones - The lass said, the better.

Kevin Kilbane - Passed it.

Tamas Priskin - Hopefully he can build on that goal.

Tom Naylor - We'll see.

Dave Martin - Bloody awful. Played 11 games, scored 1 goal and has been loaned out for the rest of his contract. Ridiculous.

Tomasz Cywka - Has the potential to be a good player.

Frank Fielding - Good signing, bags of potential.

Jamie Ward - Very enthusiastic and has shown his ability.

Theo Robinson - Has improved a lot.

Southampton were all over us in the first half. In the second half, we were excellent at times and there was a 20 minute period when we could have scored 3 goals. Our passing and movement was a pleasure to watch.

Bris and NoternRam clearly watch a different Derby at times if you can not accept that we played well at times against Southampton. You must be absolutely deluded. Yes, they were the beter side overall but I felt we got a deserved draw against one of the best sides in the division. All you can say is we were awful, played hoofball and got played off the park. Your comments are laughable and utterly unsupportive. Don't call yourself a supporter.

Feck me when did you start supporting Derby? Why have you accepted such averageness, you call yourself a DCFC fan, then I'm ashamed to call myself one..

We played cack against Southampton, defend for 90 minutes.. Good? Your joking surely

Saying it was good just insults the likes of Eranio, Baiano, Asanovic, Poom, Stimac who were geniunely quality and played quality football.. We played good when we went away and stuck 3 or 4 past the opposition, cutting them to pieces.. On their worst day they'd still destroy this lot.. Watching them and George Burley football and this is just horrific. How can you honstly think this is good?

I support this team more than any other, but I'm not deluded into thinking we're something we're clearly not..

I support this team more than any other, but I'm not deluded into thinking we're something we're clearly not..

I believe you are contradicting yourself as you clearly are deluded into thinking that we should be good when we have had an incredibly injury stricken side and have been forced to play players that shouldn't really have a look in.

How can we be expected to perform under such circumstances.

Our managers hands are tied. He hasn't been given the budget to bring quality into the club.

Despite that, all you do is continue to speak ill of the club, it's manager and it's players. I struggle to find a good word that you have to say about the club.

So, no. I don't believe you support the club. You follow them but you sure as hell don't support them.

I believe you are contradicting yourself as you clearly are deluded into thinking that we should be good when we have had an incredibly injury stricken side and have been forced to play players that shouldn't really have a look in.

Our managers hands are tied. He hasn't been given the budget to bring quality into the club.

Despite that, all you do is continue to speak ill of the club, it's manager and it's players. I struggle to find a good word that you have to say about the club.

So, no. I don't believe you support the club. You follow them but you sure as hell don't support them.

Just because one finds the positives in everything DCFC related doesn't mean he's the definition of a supporter.. You can support your club and have doubts about certain things..

I don't rate the management, his players, his style and his vision and I think the board he is working for aren't great shakes either.. In a perfect world both would be out.. My opinions DCFC related maybe polar opposites to yours, but that doesn't make me any less of a supporter.

People get petty when their opinions are way out and facts prove them wrong, this is when the debate in hand then gets diverted onto the poster who stated it.. The amount of times people have decided to throw insults my way just because they can't face the facts that present them is countless.. It's childish and doesn't back up your side of the debate one bit..

I really hope for your sake mate we can play football how we did under GB and JS, watching tripe that Derby throw up nowadays really does make you appreciate how fantastic we have played and how we're light years away from reaching those heights again.

Anyway this debate is going way offtrack that I can't even remember the original post that we were meant to be debating.

When you look at the dead wood we've got in the squad it's no surprise is it?

Stephen Bywater, Saul Deeney, Chris Riggott, Dean Leacock, Jake Buxton, Russel Anderson, Miles Addison, Thomas Cywka, Dave Martin, Stephen Pearson, Lee Croft, Conor Doyle, Chris Maguire, Nathan Tyson. (Steve Davis?)

14 first team squad players who between them have hardly made any contribution over the last season. There are a few in there with unavoidable injuries, but is it a surprise that the likes of Anderson, Riggot and Tyson have permanent injuries?

Half of them are on the naughty step, Bywater, Leacock, Pearson, Cywka, Martin, Croft, Maguire. A couple of them who are just rubbish, Deaney, Buxton, Pearson, Doyle.

It's no coincidence that we can't field a decent bench when you look at all that dead wood, then when we get the usual week to week injuries, Barker, Bailey, Green, Brayford, Robinson, it becomes an injury crisis because of all the permanent crocks we sign.

When we got rid of the likes of Teale and McEverley we thought we could push on, but the dead wood in the squad seems to be worse than ever.

Archived