Modern Warfare 3

Day

Sainsburys are selling it for £28.99 - IF you spend more than £30 on shopping.

I got mine from Asda £38.97 - Tesco might be a few pennies cheaper.

I'm wondering whether to take ours back - it keeps sayng it can't read the disk - we take it out and rub it on a soft clean cloth - and it works for a while - then starts it again - I'm ok to take it back and swap it, aren't I? Obv something wrong with the disc.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got on Thursday, Started playing it tonight, finished the Campaign on Hardened already (I had a 5hr marathon sesh). It's pretty good but totally rediculous at the same time. Not going online until i've completed it on Veteran and done the majority of Spec Ops missions. It's a good game, but it's pretty much exactly the same as COD 4 - fair enough it's a good formula but i'd like at least one moment where I see something new, but the same old, follow this guy, rush to the the next checkpoint, get past the AI Spawn point and rush through each level in about 15 minutes got boring in MW2. There's some cool missions and locations though, but the set-pieces that COD's single player is famed for aren't as mind blowing as the Nuke was for example in COD 4 or. the EMP in MW2.

8/10 for me.

I think that's a problem with a lot of FPS, including CoD and BF. Both SP campaigns push the invisible line angle. CoD and BF this year were almost indistinguishable from each other.

MP - tends to go from one extreme to the other with me, either love it or hate it dependent on how the last game's gone. A lot of irritations have been removed like the Nuke, Commando, etc, but a lot remain - IW seem to have an aversion to including a 'local' search parameter for matchmaking - I've had enough of Pedro dialling in off of the back of his donkey in Mexico City. Although Commando's gone, you got it replaced by 'Juiced'. Amazingly, I've found this one to be even MORE irritating than Commando! Spawn points are horrible. Check a corner, kill a camper, move on, die. Check killcam, yep, respawned right behind me.

Also a new frustration - host lag compensation - apparently it's built in that if you host, you'll get an element of lag to compensate for the advantage of hosting. We had it last night - ended up hosting and then got continually butt-fooked by the other team.

Apart from that last one, it's all minor stuff that should be fixed through patching - nerf juiced, redo the spawn points etc.

Apparently, someone who's pulled the PC version's code apart has found references to the loading screens for Strike, Crash, Overgrown and Crossfire from CoD4, and Highrise from MW2. Looks like some classic maps will form the basis of the ongoing DLC. I'd imagine that some folks probably aren't going to be overly happy at the prospect of having to pay for Crash, Overgrown and Strike for potentially a third time in three iterations of the MW series.

Finished the SP earlier - spectacular. As above, utterly ridiculous, but still a decent end to the Price/Soap/Makarov story. The bit around the Eiffel Tower was superb.

I must say, over the course of this last week, and in recent weeks having played BF3 - I think I'm not far off getting bored with FPSs. Now that the MW series is over, I suspect that this may be my final CoD game before I let it go and move on.

Still, until then I'll be ploughing on with the MP. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Commando is still there, Extreme Conditioning and melee perk they just run through your bullets still. Lost count how many times that happened yesterday.

And the Type 95 seriously needs a nerf, I'm not one to complain about weapons but that things like a mini sniper.

MrRam took it back to Asda - they weren't going to exchange it at first because some smartass customer was saying how crap x boxes were - that it's a fault of the x-box etc etc - but the lady behind the counter said she would swap it as a 'goodwill gesture'. Tried it this morning - works perfectly.

7/10 for me.

Improved alot since MW2 and Black Ops, but it doesn't seem like THAT much work went into it. There are still issues, but it's alot of fun when you don't get any online trouble. For some reason the servers kept kicking us out of Survival mode, only takes 5 seconds to re-do it though.

Some of the maps seem recycled, I keep running into rooms and thinking "I've been here before in MW2" but it's a mixed bag at the moment. Some maps don't seem to be working well for me, but i'm loving Fallen, always seem to do well there, great set-up.

Nice to see less bugs though. Not outstanding, but enjoying it.

It's Call of Duty they are not going to make drastic changes each year, new maps, different weapons and kill streaks that's your lot.

Fifa, PES, Forza, Gran Tursimo, Formula 1 etc. you only see they small changes each release but people still buy them in the millions.

Also Infinity Ward which made COD4 and MW2 has a pretty much a new development team now, they haven't had as long as Treyarch had to make Black Ops.

It's Call of Duty they are not going to make drastic changes each year, new maps, different weapons and kill streaks that's your lot.

Fifa, PES, Forza, Gran Tursimo, Formula 1 etc. you only see they small changes each release but people still buy them in the millions.

Also Infinity Ward which made COD4 and MW2 has a pretty much a new development team now, they haven't had as long as Treyarch had to make Black Ops.

the infinity ward team which have left have created a company called respawn, when they come out with a fps game it will knock cod off it's perch. The ones who left were really the brains behind cod 4.

Hard to say, COD isn't just Infinity Ward, Treyarch have done a decent job aswell. WaW and Black Ops were also good games.

without infinity ward cod wouldn't have made the jump into modern warfare, cod 4 wouldn't have existed as we know it (as that was the trampoline title) and it would have had minor successes but nothing like what they have now, I have to say out of my group of friends who love cod not one of them liked black ops much, and with waw i thought it was ok but nothing great, the beta was better than the actual game online.

Also cod won't stay on top forever unless they create something new, they have stuck to the same formula IW created in cod 4, all they have done is tweak it.

Oh, I know that, but there had been a natural progression of the game and it doesn't seem like it has moved on much. It's MW2 without all the crap that made people hate it, which makes it a decent game this time round.

It just seems a litle lazy to me, I don't know. With CoD I expect more than I do with Fifa or Gran Turismo. I suppose the same could be said about Halo though.

It's a good game. Should never win game of the year and better games won't earn as much, but it's nice to see less bullshit and more alrr-round fun experience! After the last two outings, CoD atleast needed to go back to basics.

I'm with YR on this one.

Treyarch did well with BlOps, but CoD3 and W@W were pretty poor IMO.

CoD2 and CoD4 were masterpieces by comparison. MW2 was a bit of a let down but who knows exactly when Activision started their meddling and what form that took.

I'll be eagerly awaiting Respawns new IP. If it's another FPS then things could get very interesting. With the future of CoD largely in Treyarch's hands, I wouldn't want to bet on the winner of that faceoff.

Besides, the genre needs another big player. DICE have had a go but the Battlefield series is a million miles away from being able to compete.

It's a good game. Should never win game of the year

The only one that's deserved GOTY is CoD4. Since then you've had the likes of Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, all of which were better games than their respective CoD titles that year.

For me, it's a toss up, the game of the last generation was undoubtedly Halo, it was paradigm shifting. This time around both CoD4 and Uncharted 2 could make the same claim. Both great games.

The only one that's deserved GOTY is CoD4. Since then you've had the likes of Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, all of which were better games than their respective CoD titles that year.

For me, it's a toss up, the game of the last generation was undoubtedly Halo, it was paradigm shifting. This time around both CoD4 and Uncharted 2 could make the same claim. Both great games.

There have been a few others for me that could take that title, Halo 3 was certainly one hell of a game. Gears of War could be considered too, though that's an outside chance. CoD4 was fantastic, personally though i'd give it to Dragon Age or Oblivion. Fantastic games, I must've racked up more hours on those two than all y other games combined.

I'm with YR on this one.

Treyarch did well with BlOps, but CoD3 and W@W were pretty poor IMO.

CoD2 and CoD4 were masterpieces by comparison. MW2 was a bit of a let down but who knows exactly when Activision started their meddling and what form that took.

I'll be eagerly awaiting Respawns new IP. If it's another FPS then things could get very interesting. With the future of CoD largely in Treyarch's hands, I wouldn't want to bet on the winner of that faceoff.

Besides, the genre needs another big player. DICE have had a go but the Battlefield series is a million miles away from being able to compete.

exactly, if respawn enter the fps market treyarch can say bye to the market monster that is cod because they will be toast. They are lucky there are no serious competitors, battlefield will never compete because it's a different style of fps.

Archived