Derby County v Portsmouth

froggg

It's hard today, for me anyway, to pick yesterdays MOTM. Although Shackell put a shift and half in, so did other players. They worked as a team and continue to build on what Nigel wants to achieve.

Great match lads - although I think it's fair to say the feet came off the gas pedal during the 2nd half and they will be looking to improve - a great performance overall. Well done lads.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

[url=http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=216932]http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/master/snapbackCumbrianRam, on 28 October 2011 - 11:48 PM, said:

All out attack will lead to a 3-1 Rams win, Maguire to start and end the scoring.All out attack?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Made me laugh!

Sideshowbob on the money as usual 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

We could have had a couple early in the second half and were unlucky not too. When Bennet and Doyle came on it was evident we weren't pushing for 4 but maybe Nige wanted to give them a bit of confidence as the game was already in the bag.

Big game on Wed, never seem to do too well against the foreigners- not relishing the prospect of facing them without Obrien and Brayford to be honest, might get a bit of a kicking.

Apart from the last 5 minutes at lessta, we've never looked like getting a kicking this season. Even during poor spells when we can't get the passing going there seems to be a resilience and doggedness about us.

We defend (mostly) higher up the pitch and always look to pass it around.

We're far from the finished article but not many teams will get an easy time against us.

Even without OB and Brays, we looked solid against Norris, Kitson, Ben Haim etc

Maguire not impressed with Lawrence...............

Derby goal hero Chris Maguire has accused Portsmouth’s Liam Lawrence of deliberately KOing his dream start in the Championship.

Maguire took just 14 minutes to put three months of frustration behind him with the second of three first-half strikes for the rampant Rams.

But the £400,000 summer signing from Aberdeen was forced off after a Lawrence elbow gave him a bloody nose and left the Derby bench incensed.

And Maguire refused to accept the Pompey skipper’s post-match apology.

Dazed Maguire said: “It was a full whack with the elbow. To be fair, he’s come in and apologised. But if it’s an accident you don’t come in and say sorry to people.

“At the time you don’t think much of it. But after he’s ­apologised, you think it’s a bit deliberate.

“It was possibly a guilty conscience. I tried to go on the outside of him and he hit me with the elbow.

“I don’t know what happened after that as I was on the ground!

“The gaffer saw how bad it was and decided to take me off when my nose would not stop bleeding.

“I was getting headaches in the changing room ­afterwards but I should be OK for Wednesday against Cardiff.”

Maguire has had to wait his turn thanks to the exploits of Nigel Clough’s fearless young side this season.

And they gave another example of why they could be the ­Championship’s dark horses with a dominant first-half display.

Poor Pompey were cut to pieces as man of the match Craig Bryson opened the scoring three minutes in and Jamie Ward scored a fine goal 19 minutes after Maguire’s effort.

Maguire has had his work cut out impressing hard taskmaster Clough.

The player added: “I can’t ­understand why I’ve not had my chance before.

“I come in every day and work hard and have done well for the reserves.

“I’ve had a word with the manager and he’s been brilliant.

“It’s been bad luck for me but hopefully I have showed everyone what I can do.”

Managerless Portsmouth were watched by Sean O’Driscoll, the bookies favourite to replace the departed Steve Cotterill, as Jason Pearce’s header 11 minutes from the end salvaged some pride.

Midfielder Hayden Mullins said: “The situation is not affecting us. Our job is to play football and we need to respond to whoever’s in charge.”

Disappointed caretaker manager Guy Whittingham said: “They are a good bunch of players, they are honest players but sometimes you need to take the lead and tell them what needs to be done and as a collective we didn’t do that.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Derby-County-3-1-Portsmouth-match-report-Chris-Maguire-Craig-Bryson-and-Jamie-Ward-grab-the-goals-for-the-Rams-article824487.html#ixzz1cM2m7NUe

Did anyone else think it was s penalty in the second half, when their CB tackled Bennett in the right hand side of the area?

It looked a clear penalty to me, but the players didn't protest too much.

Right in front of me - definite penalty.

The fact that Bennet didn't really have the ball under control at the time is irrelevant - just means it should have been a yellow card not a red for the defender.

Bennet had pushed the ball a bit wide when the tackle came in and the defender was nowhere near the ball either.

I wonder if Bennet would have been allowed to take it if it had been given?

I thought everyone played really well on Saturday, but for me it was Ben Davies, McGuire and Bryson that stood out - they were everywhere, and Henfrick had his best game for a while.

Archived