Donny doing a dirty

Stimacked

Looks like Doncaster are trying to bend every rule in the book to get out of trouble at the foot of the table.

Will this be yet another nail in the coffin of football. Mercenaries on the way to Yorkshire!!

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2051618/What-agent-Willie-McKay-doing-Doncaster-Rovers.html]http://www.dailymail...ter-Rovers.html

Take one struggling Championship club, a crippling wage bill of £8million a year, then bring them a host of new stars to get them promoted to the Barclays Premier League. All for 100 quid.

Doncaster Rovers are attempting to change the landscape of British football, turning the Keepmoat Stadium into the most prolific bring-and-buy sale in history.

International stars will come and go quickly, sold on to the highest bidder as Doncaster provide the shop window for some of Europe’s disaffected or disillusioned players.

Rovers fans will cheer on new heroes from Lyon, Saint-Etienne, Lorient and Marseille, barely getting used to their names before they are moved on for big money.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0B9A2211000005DC-382_468x313

Theatre of dreams: The Keepmoat Stadium will play host to a smorgasbord of international talent this season

Doncaster are cutting through the core values and customs of English football, convinced that the old-fashioned principles will soon be a thing of the past.

Pascal Chimbonda, Herita Ilunga and Chris Kirkland have already been on the Keepmoat conveyor belt, but that’s just the start.

Fabien Robert, brother of former Newcastle winger Laurent, Saint-Etienne left back Sylvain Monsoreau, France Under 20 defender Lamine Kone and Argentina midfielder Sebastian Dubarbier will soon be on show.

El-Hadji Diouf, a free agent after leaving Blackburn, and former Real Madrid and Lyon midf ielder Mahamadou Diarra are also in talks with a team second from bottom of the Championship. So how is it all coming about?

Well, Doncaster have a watertight contract for the next two years with the most notorious — and arguably most successful — agent in British football.

Willie McKay is the middle man acting on behalf of Doncaster, charging them just £100 a week for his services, having lodged his plan with the FA on September 27.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-00BB05FF00000259-346_468x308

Calling the shots: Willie McKay (pictured in 2007 at AS Monaco's ground) is conducting a unique football experiment

The FA’s financial regulation officer Andrew Penn wrote back to McKay in a letter dated October 6 accepting his proposals and rubber-stamping the Donny Dream.

That contract with Doncaster and the FA means that nobody can come in or out of the Keepmoat Stadium for the next two years unless McKay says so, although he says manager Dean Saunders has the power of veto.

McKay makes no bones about his business model, taking advantage of unlimited international loans and working the European transfer market to maximum effect.

He intends to make money — serious money — out of Doncaster and in return give them the best group of players their 10,000 loyal supporters have ever seen. They just won’t be there for long.

There will be agreements with clubs all over Europe, borrowing their troubled players and giving them the platform to perform at the highest level again.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0E75C53300000578-804_468x328

From Real to Rovers in less than a year: Mahamadou Diarra (left) is in the latter stages of talks with Donny about a move

Donny will pay a maximum of £2,000 a week towards a player’s existing salary, relying on the parent club to pay the difference in their contract during their loan.

McKay said: ‘Take Herita Ilunga as an example. He’s on £26,000 a week at West Ham, not getting a game and they can’t get him a move. I called the joint-chairman David Sullivan and offered £1,000 a week to take Ilunga on loan. David laughed and said, “Make me a sensible offer”, so I said, “OK, £500”.

‘Anyway, eventually we agree the deal on £2,000 a week and West Ham make up the rest of his wages. We take him at Doncaster, who are no threat to West Ham, and give him a shop window to perform by playing every week.

‘If he plays well and I get him a move, say to Turkey for £5m, then I’ll reach an agreement with David Sullivan about the fee West Ham will receive, plus my commission, less his full £26,000-a-week salary for the period he was at Doncaster.’

As well as benefiting from the player’s performances, Rovers will receive a cut of the transfer fee.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0E60431A00000578-484_468x286

Having his say: Doncaster manager Dean Saunders has the power of veto

McKay’s unique experiment will not sit comfortably with football fans across the country, but the Glaswegian businessman has never been the sort for sentiment.

In his career as a football agent he has been involved in 485 deals, ranging from Ronaldinho’s move from Paris Saint-Germain to Barcelona to acting for Queens Park Rangers during negotiations to sign Joey Barton on a free transfer.

McKay will swing back into action in the January transfer window, but for now most of his time is taken up with Doncaster.

He is friends with two of the club’s major shareholders, John Ryan and Dick Watson, promising them a team fit for the Premier League now he is in full control of transfers.

McKay added: ‘These guys approached me. They have a wage bill of £8m a year and want it reduced to £4m. My valuation of Donny was nothing. They have no fanbase and everyone in Doncaster supports Leeds, Sheffield United or Sheffield Wednesday, who can all get 30,000 in their stadiums.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0E75638200000578-655_233x423

In the shop window: Pascal Chimbonda

‘Donny have players on £7,000 a week and a core support of 10,000 people — nobody can sustain that.

‘We are going to work with Lyon, Auxerre, Bordeaux, Saint-Etienne, Nice and Lorient by taking their unhappy players.

‘In every squad there are two or three good players who aren’t getting a game for whatever reason. We will take them to Doncaster, put them in the shop window and sell them on with sell-on fees. Mahamadou Diarra has a c.v. with Monaco, Real Madrid

and Lyon on it. I’ve told him if he comes to Doncaster he will be with us for six months before he’s playing in the Premier League.

‘He was on €4.7m net at Real Madrid, but he’ll be playing for £2,000 a week if he comes to us.’

McKay lives 20 minutes from the club and his 14-year-old twins are promising players at the academy, given a chance to make the grade with Rovers.

He has a healthy relationship with new boss Saunders, who started with two wins but saw his team lose 3-0 at home to Leeds last Friday.

McKay added: ‘Dean has a right of veto, but is he seriously going to turn down Mahamadou Diarra, a guy who’s got 150 games on his c.v. for Lyon and 120 for Real Madrid?

‘I’m doing this to prove it can be done and I’ve been honest enough to admit I’m only here for the money. I don’t need the £100 and I probably won’t even invoice for it.’

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will sadly seal their fate. What a shame.

Their previous manager did so many years of good work developing a League 2 side to becoming an established Championship side only for owners to ruin it all.

These players will not play for the club. They may turn out for Doncaster but they will not put in the effort. Are they that naive?

I particularly like:

McKay added: ‘These guys approached me. They have a wage bill of £8m a year and want it reduced to £4m. My valuation of Donny was nothing. They have no fanbase and everyone in Doncaster supports Leeds, Sheffield United or Sheffield Wednesday, who can all get 30,000 in their stadiums.

How to win friends and influence people.

Personally I find it amusing, it's a little like that academy of Glenn Hoddle's, only it's an active football team.

This Willie McKay?

A question mark hung over the City of London Police investigation into alleged corruption in football after the agent Willie McKay was yesterday cleared of allegations of conspiracy to defraud.

McKay, who had strongly denied any wrongdoing since he was arrested in November 2007, was emotional as he reflected on the news that he has been exonerated after enduring what he described as "two years of hell".

Six other high-profile football figures remain on bail, although the fact that McKay has been cleared will be interpreted by many as a sign that City of London Police are struggling to produce evidence of wrongdoing. The inquiry, which started in April 2007, had been expected to come to an end last year but the latest indications are that it will rumble on for at least another two months before a final decision is made as to whether to bring charges.

McKay's financial records will no longer come under the microscope after City of London Police confirmed that the 49-year-old would face no further questions. "It has been two years of hell," McKay said. "I had 30 police officers raiding my home at six o'clock in the morning [on the day he was arrested]. It was baseless right from the start. I always said that there was not a stain on my character. Finally I have been totally vindicated and cleared."

This is the second time McKay has been cleared of any wrongdoing in relation to alleged financial corruption in football. In 2007, the Quest inquiry led by Lord Stevens, which examined all Premier League transfer deals between January 2004 and January 2006, initially named McKay for not cooperating and refused to clear four of his deals, but later in 2007 clarified that it was satisfied there was no evidence of "irregular payments" involving the agent.

The latest development involving McKay came 24 hours after Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham Hotspur manager, was re-arrested by HM Revenue and Customs after facing further questioning. The Spurs manager, who has strongly denied allegations of false accounting and conspiracy to defraud, remains on bail.

A spokesman for Tottenham said: "It was a mere formality in respect of next stage information relating to a tax issue."

HMRC have taken on a more significant role with Operation Apprentice through time, and Redknapp finds himself in the same position as Peter Storrie, Portsmouth's executive chairman, and Karren Brady, the Birmingham City managing director, both of whom have been re-arrested by HMRC and denied the same allegations as Redknapp.

Same as this guy I suspect

22 July 2006

It's fair to say that Willie McKay symbolises everything that is wrong with agents in football. The agent incurred the wrath of Wigan fans for numerous incidences regarding players.

Willie McKay first angered the Latics faithful when he advised former fans favourite Pascal Chimbonda to hand in a transfer request straight after the final game of the season, and then publicly complained when Wigan rejected offers that he himself thought were 'perfectly reasonable.'

Henri Camara was the next Wigan player that McKay attempted to unsettle,

he publicly talked up a move to Pompey, claiming the player wanted to move to the south coast. His actions continued to make him a one of the most resented men in Wigan.

As if unsettling Chimbonda and Camara wern't enough, the 'agent' then advised Roberts regarding the players new contract. In the end, Roberts left for Blackburn Rovers, and Wigan chairman Dave Whelan publicly stated he would never work with McKay again.

McKay was in the news again this week, as Manchester City made public that he was demanding a £100,000+ fee for renegotiating Joey Bartons contract, a demand that City up till now have rightfully refused.

Dont really see what they're doing wrong, they've employed an agent to go out there and get them players on loan, in principle nothing wrong with that imo, unless i've missed something.

Obviously the geezers a scumbag but if Donny are only paying the players 2k a week it wont financially ruin them, and it's anyones guess how they'll do on the pitch.

Used to like Donny under O'Driscoll, not anymore, i hope they go down.

I'm with EKR on this, my soft spot for Doncaster has been wiped out with this but you can't really argue they're selling there soul as a club but if it works they will get high class players on small money.

I mean, come on Mahamadou Diarra for 2,000 pound a week in the championship and the effort should be there as he is looking to put himself in the shop window, so I can see it working but it all depends if they can drum up enough interest.

as for the REAL doncaster fans, I don't think they will be best pleased that there club is turning itself into a holding pen for players out of form just to sell them on, but then again they will see players of class and stature they have never had before in there history.

Looks like Doncaster are trying to bend every rule in the book to get out of trouble at the foot of the table.

Will this be yet another nail in the coffin of football. Mercenaries on the way to Yorkshire!!

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2051618/What-agent-Willie-McKay-doing-Doncaster-Rovers.html]http://www.dailymail...ter-Rovers.html

Take one struggling Championship club, a crippling wage bill of £8million a year, then bring them a host of new stars to get them promoted to the Barclays Premier League. All for 100 quid.

Doncaster Rovers are attempting to change the landscape of British football, turning the Keepmoat Stadium into the most prolific bring-and-buy sale in history.

International stars will come and go quickly, sold on to the highest bidder as Doncaster provide the shop window for some of Europe’s disaffected or disillusioned players.

Rovers fans will cheer on new heroes from Lyon, Saint-Etienne, Lorient and Marseille, barely getting used to their names before they are moved on for big money.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0B9A2211000005DC-382_468x313

Theatre of dreams: The Keepmoat Stadium will play host to a smorgasbord of international talent this season

Doncaster are cutting through the core values and customs of English football, convinced that the old-fashioned principles will soon be a thing of the past.

Pascal Chimbonda, Herita Ilunga and Chris Kirkland have already been on the Keepmoat conveyor belt, but that’s just the start.

Fabien Robert, brother of former Newcastle winger Laurent, Saint-Etienne left back Sylvain Monsoreau, France Under 20 defender Lamine Kone and Argentina midfielder Sebastian Dubarbier will soon be on show.

El-Hadji Diouf, a free agent after leaving Blackburn, and former Real Madrid and Lyon midf ielder Mahamadou Diarra are also in talks with a team second from bottom of the Championship. So how is it all coming about?

Well, Doncaster have a watertight contract for the next two years with the most notorious — and arguably most successful — agent in British football.

Willie McKay is the middle man acting on behalf of Doncaster, charging them just £100 a week for his services, having lodged his plan with the FA on September 27.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-00BB05FF00000259-346_468x308

Calling the shots: Willie McKay (pictured in 2007 at AS Monaco's ground) is conducting a unique football experiment

The FA’s financial regulation officer Andrew Penn wrote back to McKay in a letter dated October 6 accepting his proposals and rubber-stamping the Donny Dream.

That contract with Doncaster and the FA means that nobody can come in or out of the Keepmoat Stadium for the next two years unless McKay says so, although he says manager Dean Saunders has the power of veto.

McKay makes no bones about his business model, taking advantage of unlimited international loans and working the European transfer market to maximum effect.

He intends to make money — serious money — out of Doncaster and in return give them the best group of players their 10,000 loyal supporters have ever seen. They just won’t be there for long.

There will be agreements with clubs all over Europe, borrowing their troubled players and giving them the platform to perform at the highest level again.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0E75C53300000578-804_468x328

From Real to Rovers in less than a year: Mahamadou Diarra (left) is in the latter stages of talks with Donny about a move

Donny will pay a maximum of £2,000 a week towards a player’s existing salary, relying on the parent club to pay the difference in their contract during their loan.

McKay said: ‘Take Herita Ilunga as an example. He’s on £26,000 a week at West Ham, not getting a game and they can’t get him a move. I called the joint-chairman David Sullivan and offered £1,000 a week to take Ilunga on loan. David laughed and said, “Make me a sensible offer”, so I said, “OK, £500”.

‘Anyway, eventually we agree the deal on £2,000 a week and West Ham make up the rest of his wages. We take him at Doncaster, who are no threat to West Ham, and give him a shop window to perform by playing every week.

‘If he plays well and I get him a move, say to Turkey for £5m, then I’ll reach an agreement with David Sullivan about the fee West Ham will receive, plus my commission, less his full £26,000-a-week salary for the period he was at Doncaster.’

As well as benefiting from the player’s performances, Rovers will receive a cut of the transfer fee.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0E60431A00000578-484_468x286

Having his say: Doncaster manager Dean Saunders has the power of veto

McKay’s unique experiment will not sit comfortably with football fans across the country, but the Glaswegian businessman has never been the sort for sentiment.

In his career as a football agent he has been involved in 485 deals, ranging from Ronaldinho’s move from Paris Saint-Germain to Barcelona to acting for Queens Park Rangers during negotiations to sign Joey Barton on a free transfer.

McKay will swing back into action in the January transfer window, but for now most of his time is taken up with Doncaster.

He is friends with two of the club’s major shareholders, John Ryan and Dick Watson, promising them a team fit for the Premier League now he is in full control of transfers.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0E75638200000578-655_233x423

In the shop window: Pascal Chimbonda

‘Donny have players on £7,000 a week and a core support of 10,000 people — nobody can sustain that.

‘We are going to work with Lyon, Auxerre, Bordeaux, Saint-Etienne, Nice and Lorient by taking their unhappy players.

‘In every squad there are two or three good players who aren’t getting a game for whatever reason. We will take them to Doncaster, put them in the shop window and sell them on with sell-on fees. Mahamadou Diarra has a c.v. with Monaco, Real Madrid

and Lyon on it. I’ve told him if he comes to Doncaster he will be with us for six months before he’s playing in the Premier League.

‘He was on €4.7m net at Real Madrid, but he’ll be playing for £2,000 a week if he comes to us.’

McKay lives 20 minutes from the club and his 14-year-old twins are promising players at the academy, given a chance to make the grade with Rovers.

He has a healthy relationship with new boss Saunders, who started with two wins but saw his team lose 3-0 at home to Leeds last Friday.

McKay added: ‘Dean has a right of veto, but is he seriously going to turn down Mahamadou Diarra, a guy who’s got 150 games on his c.v. for Lyon and 120 for Real Madrid?

‘I’m doing this to prove it can be done and I’ve been honest enough to admit I’m only here for the money. I don’t need the £100 and I probably won’t even invoice for it.’

Send it my way, me owd china 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Interesting, Dick has always been very inovative in the 25 years that I worked for him until he exited the business, this is a curve ball even for him though. Rest assured that JR is just the front man and the real business issues are sorted by Dick, Terry and David up here in sunny South Yorks.

Fair credit to them for dreaming this one up, if we had the top stars from the Premier League who weren't able to get a regular game turning up at Pride Park for £2k per week, what would our reaction be!

It's a bit harsh on the fan base issue as historically locals did support one of the Sheffield teams or Leeds, this is in transition with most youngsters now seen wearing Rovers kits, so things are changing but will take time.

My daughter played for the Belles, my son is there next week through the holiday at the football coaching session, they put lots of work in to developing younsters, as do Derby.

It sounds rather like the Barcelona B team type scenario and remains to be seen if it proves successful or not

Wow. Never has anyone been more arrogant and ignorant than that tw@t.

And what's even more impressive, is that he's got what he's got thanks to other peoples hard work and talent. He's an arrogant parasite!?!

Muppets like hime should be on the dole. Pointless middle men. Money grabbing leach. Humiliating Doncaster and making sure they get relegated. If Rovers are happy to become a laughing stock in a bid to stay up, effectively selling their identity then i'll be glad when they go down in April.

These "troubled stars" are no doubt going to be great individuals. But football is a team game. And how is Billy Sharpe going to feel when he's benched so David Trezeguet or whatever can use the club to get a kick infront of cameras?

Relegated!

Trouble is the route cause which is that players wages are out of control at most clubs and innovative solutions like this will have to happen to susstain the game in the lower leagues regardless of how popular it is. Not all clubs have 25'000 plus attendances and alternative methods of balancing the books must be found.

Truth is that Rovers have lived on a subsidy hand out of just over £3m a season for the last 3 years from 2 or 3 directors. They have no assets other than the players, as they don't own the stadium - although this may be in the process of changing any time soon, so profits can only be generated througn the turnover of playing staff. Yhey can't even sell catering rights as they are owned by the stadium..!!

Every club for themselves will be the new order once the FFPR's begin to bite unfortunately whether we like it or not.

TV revenue cut next year...

New rules on developing and selling on youngsters....

Talk of new TV rights negotiations with a free for all...

Talk of scrapping promotion and relegation....

Times are a changing I'm affraid, and I think most would agree for the worse.

Hmm, shall I sit here in Monaco with the son beating down on my back, work hard and try to get back into the first team. Or should I admit defeat, move to Yorkshire in the middle of the winter, play second division football for a team at the bottom of the table with no fans for no extra money....tough one that.

I think it's a good idea, and a new business model...

Let's face it, Donny don't want to increase their debt levels, and they simply cannot play at this level without a debt.. They need to pay their players upto 7k a week just to survive..

A wagebill of 8mill a year is simply a wagebill designed for lower midtable.. 4mill a year, how can you get the quality in to survive in the NPC on 4mill a year..

It's the only way, loans.. So why not set up a system to have players come in for a window, put on a show, then get sold on with Donny taking a cut.. Also don't be naive enough to think players enjoy sitting around doing nothing, so many out there just want to play, those that are interested in money, well the money is in the PL.. If they play well and build up fitness in the NPC, clubs in the PL will gamble on them..

Take Diarra for example, someone like S'Land will snap him up in the summer and they'll have an excellent player on their hands who has had 6 months of getting used to English football.

I think it's a good idea, and a new business model...

Let's face it, Donny don't want to increase their debt levels, and they simply cannot play at this level without a debt.. They need to pay their players upto 7k a week just to survive..

A wagebill of 8mill a year is simply a wagebill designed for lower midtable.. 4mill a year, how can you get the quality in to survive in the NPC on 4mill a year..

It's the only way, loans.. So why not set up a system to have players come in for a window, put on a show, then get sold on with Donny taking a cut.. Also don't be naive enough to think players enjoy sitting around doing nothing, so many out there just want to play, those that are interested in money, well the money is in the PL.. If they play well and build up fitness in the NPC, clubs in the PL will gamble on them..

Take Diarra for example, someone like S'Land will snap him up in the summer and they'll have an excellent player on their hands who has had 6 months of getting used to English football.

Getting used to english football? The Champ is nothing like the prem. For the odd player it could work out but I don't think it will appeal to many- not when they could go to another club in their country where they wouldn't have to get used to a new style of play or even move house in some cases. The majority of players that would consider it are the ones that simply aren't good enough to play at a high level (one season wonders that were a gamble, ageing stars, etc) or players that have burnt a lot of bridges due to their behaviour/ attitude on and off the pitch - if this wasn't the case then they would be able to go on loan somewhere more attractive to look for a transfer.

I would say good luck to Donny in this venture but I feel that it is destined to fail and they are a horrible little club that have no place in the champ. The only saving grace is Deano being at the helm, hopefully he can move on to bigger and better things quickly but if he is having new players added and taken away all the time it will be impossible to assess his management ability and for him to develop in the transfer market also.

Archived