Donny doing a dirty

Stimacked

Wow. Never has anyone been more arrogant and ignorant than that tw@t.

And what's even more impressive, is that he's got what he's got thanks to other peoples hard work and talent. He's an arrogant parasite!?!

Muppets like hime should be on the dole. Pointless middle men. Money grabbing leach. Humiliating Doncaster and making sure they get relegated. If Rovers are happy to become a laughing stock in a bid to stay up, effectively selling their identity then i'll be glad when they go down in April.

These "troubled stars" are no doubt going to be great individuals. But football is a team game. And how is Billy Sharpe going to feel when he's benched so David Trezeguet or whatever can use the club to get a kick infront of cameras?

Relegated!

like he fancies a move to derby 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting used to english football? The Champ is nothing like the prem. For the odd player it could work out but I don't think it will appeal to many- not when they could go to another club in their country where they wouldn't have to get used to a new style of play or even move house in some cases. The majority of players that would consider it are the ones that simply aren't good enough to play at a high level (one season wonders that were a gamble, ageing stars, etc) or players that have burnt a lot of bridges due to their behaviour/ attitude on and off the pitch - if this wasn't the case then they would be able to go on loan somewhere more attractive to look for a transfer.

I would say good luck to Donny in this venture but I feel that it is destined to fail and they are a horrible little club that have no place in the champ. The only saving grace is Deano being at the helm, hopefully he can move on to bigger and better things quickly but if he is having new players added and taken away all the time it will be impossible to assess his management ability and for him to develop in the transfer market also.

Perhaps the term getting used to English football was incorrect..

What I mean to to say, or what I was implying, was the climate, language difference and lifestyle in general. Some foreign players it takes them a good year to finally get going.. Take David Silva for example, he's only just got used to the English ways and now he's starting to flourish..

For other players, a 6 month stint at Donny can help them adjust to the changes, then they'll be more ready for first team action at a PL club.. Instead of someone like Villa gambling on them, they take a while to adjust, and before they know it they're playing reserve team football and ready to be shipped out on loan to some Greek side or something and their career has taken a nose dive..

I'm actually really warming to this idea.. Players from Latin America for instance are always better off going to a French/Greek/Dutch side first before jumping straight in the deep end.. Donny could provide a platform for players to adjust to English football before going back off to other clubs or being sold..

I think you're underestimating the pull of english football.. It's a dream for 90% of the players out there to play in the PL (not because of the quality but for the money).. They'll still be paid their wages by the parent club, and all they have to focus on is putting in a good 3-6 month shift at Donny before striking a jackpot with someone like QPR or Blackburn who will offer them bags of money..

If anything the Championship is just as difficult for foreigners as the PL. The pace isn't far behind, and there is still isn't much time on the ball.

More defensive mistakes happen though, and this could be good for forward players to build confidence by getting easy goals.

Even I barely feel old enough to make a statement like that. Have you known anything other than the premier league/champions league era?

no i have not, however i have never known english football dying to such an extent of this. You don't need to be old say your sad something has fallen from grace to a massive extent like football.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with EKR on this, my soft spot for Doncaster has been wiped out with this but you can't really argue they're selling there soul as a club but if it works they will get high class players on small money.

I mean, come on Mahamadou Diarra for 2,000 pound a week in the championship and the effort should be there as he is looking to put himself in the shop window, so I can see it working but it all depends if they can drum up enough interest.

as for the REAL doncaster fans, I don't think they will be best pleased that there club is turning itself into a holding pen for players out of form just to sell them on, but then again they will see players of class and stature they have never had before in there history.

And how do you think the "normal" Donny players will feel? Team spirit will be non existant with one or two big time charlies around. As McKay has said he is in it to line his own pocket. Nothing more nothing less.

This is a joke that will sink Donny without trace!

• 3 weeks later...
Doncaster Rovers have signed defender Habib Beye on loan from Aston Villa, subject to paperwork.

The 34-year-old will move to the Keepmoat until January and becomes manager Dean Saunders's sixth signing.

The Senegal international right-back has made just seven Premier League appearances for Villa since moving from Newcastle United in the summer of 2009.

He was Newcastle's Player of the Year in 2008, and reached the Uefa Cup final with Marseille in 2004.

Rovers have also awarded a two-and-a-half year contract to left-back prospect James Husband.

The 17-year-old is a product of the club's youth system and there have been reports that Premier League sides have been keeping tabs on his progress.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15823870.stm

• 4 months later...
Doncaster Rovers chairman John Ryan believes the club's experiment with agent Willie McKay has come to an end now that they have been relegated.

Rovers were beaten 4-3 by fellow strugglers Portsmouth on Saturday to seal their exit from the Championship.

McKay had helped Doncaster bring in international players on reduced wages if they were not playing regularly.

"Willie's brought some great players into this club but it just didn't work," Ryan told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"The experiment wouldn't work in the third tier. I don't think he'd want to be involved next season.

"Unfortunately, the way it worked would only be possible in the Championship. We're just too far down now."

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusMcKay helped bring in a number of high-profile players to the Keepmoat Stadium including El-Hadji Diouf, Pascal Chimbonda, Habib Beye and Freddie Piqiuonne.

Despite the relegation, Ryan is remaining positive about the future: "Looking back, we used to aspire to be in League One, there's always one or two big teams at that level.

"We've done well to stay in this division for four years. We don't have the fanbase and we've had some shocking refereeing decisions against us."

Ryan was particularly unhappy with the officiating in his side's defeat by Pompey at the weekend.

Doncaster conceded two contentious penalties and had a man sent off before going back into the lead only to lose in the final minute, with the third goal seemingly handled into the net by Dave Kitson.

"I've been watching football for 50 years and his second half performance was so bad that I don't think it's wrong of me to call it a dereliction of duty," he continued.

"He should never be allowed to referee again, all four of those Portsmouth goals should arguably not have been given."

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17727076]http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17727076

Quite like that statement from the chairman, they gave it a go and it didnt work, fair enough. Expect a lot of there fans are p*ssed off but at the end of the day, they've done brilliantly to get to where they are now. They were always punching above their weight at this level.

The supporters club walked a coffin through the town centre when they went into the conference, I seem to recall.

Know its wiki, but

Just weeks after Rovers were relegated, Richardson was found guilty of attempting to set fire to the Belle Vue, apparently to claim insurance money to pay off the club's debt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%80%9398_Doncaster_Rovers_F.C._season

Archived