BBC Cutbacks

Day

The BBC is planning to close its BBC HD and replace it with a high definition version of BBC Two.

The channel, which first launched in 2006, has been broadcasting HD content including programmes such as Planet Earth, Top Gear, Formula One and Wimbledon. It's one of the casualties of a swathe of cutbacks which will see fewer staff, a flatter structure and a shift of jobs to Salford in a bid to make savings of £700 million by 2017.

[url=http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-10/06/bbc-hd-to-close]http://www.wired.co....bbc-hd-to-close

Also Bloomers has been tweeting today:

"Up early for morning meeting at work about BBC cuts. Lots of speculation about the future of local radio. We'll know more in an hour."

"If you want to know how the BBC cuts will impact on Radio Derby, the boss of the BBC East Mids region will be on my prog after 5."

"In answer to a few q's - the BBC are cutting 15% of their sports budget. That will have a knock-on effect on local radio."

"There is a possibility that some local radio commentaries will be shared with other stations. Details after 5 on my programme."

I would like to make a suggestion to the BBC regarding cutbacks........

http://www.fansfc.com/UploadedImages/Players/robbie savage_633582983945937500

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listened to RD

More repeats on BBC2 during the day

Less money for entertainment but Strictly won't be affected grrr

Less Sport on BBC

BBC.co.uk slashed by 25%

Local Radio programmes may be shared in afternoons and after 7pm (Derby/Leicester/Nottingham)

Radio Derby to lose 7 out of 35 staff

Local football commentary should be unaffected although they are looking at shared commentaries

In 2014 BBC World Service is going to be paid for out of licence fee

MW signal going across the country except Radio Derby

Expecting staff walk outs due to pay cuts

If they got rid of a few off Top Gear, and made it a car programme like it used to be, (and not do expensive jaunts around the world) it would pay for about 150 people to keep their jobs at the BBC.

There are a few more programmes that could save a fortune in wages that would keep hundreds in a job.

Also, why do we need 2 presenters to read the news, 1 to do the sport, 1 for entertainment, 1 for the weather etc.

There is another £100.000 + a year saved.

A lot of programmes like Doctor Who and Luther are pretty popular in the USA. So why don't they make an agreement that American TV channels pay for the production of these big budget shows that they love, so they can still be kept on BBC One due to the virtue of the BBC inventing them. Then jobs can be saved...

Some of the outside broadcasts of reporters on the news is ridiculous. Why does some poor soul have to stand in the pouring rain outside Downing St. to tell us what the PM might be thinking about a news item? The same with sending several people abroad when a story unfolds.

And don't get me started on graphics! When they tell me jobs are being axed,I don't need a picture of an axe falling!

Sorry - grumpy old woman mode! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Some of the outside broadcasts of reporters on the news is ridiculous. Why does some poor soul have to stand in the pouring rain outside Downing St. to tell us what the PM might be thinking about a news item? The same with sending several people abroad when a story unfolds.

And don't get me started on graphics! When they tell me jobs are being axed,I don't need a picture of an axe falling!

Sorry - grumpy old woman mode! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

To be fair there are correspondents in every corner of the world who are just called up to report when something big happens.

And BBC News is the only high quality, objective source of news on the planet. It's important and it's not what's to be cut. It's the money they piss away on things such as Strictly Come Dancing and Top Gear that need to be cut.

As fun as Top Gear is, a lot of their expeditions are unnecessary and done before. Unless it's a travel programme, they shouldn't be going to all those places.

It might save a few bob if they cut the Breakfast programme down a bit as it tends to be a bit repetitive. It lasts for 3 and a quarter hours! If they cut it down to say, an hour and half, just read the news once instead of over and over, they'd save money on presenters wages for a start.

And Eggheads needs the bullet as well, or a least C J de fookin Mooey does!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

How about we stop complaining about the license fee?

It's well worth paying it. If this country lost the BBC, I'd leave. Or loot a shop, or protest - something to that effect.

People complain that the license fee is too high, and the BBC gets starved for money, it can't afford certain stuff anymore and then it goes to Sky - and people spend even more money on their Sky subscription fee!

Literally know a guy who hates the license fee, complained F1 is going to Sky and is now going to get the full Sky package as a result.

Our fee is about 220 euros. Considering that BBC has always made quality series, news and has pretty good sports coverage I think the fee is very reasonable. Our series are crap and almost all the sports that people are interested in is shown by channels you have to buy.

Just listened to RD

More repeats on BBC2 during the day

Less money for entertainment but Strictly won't be affected grrr

Less Sport on BBC

BBC.co.uk slashed by 25%

Local Radio programmes may be shared in afternoons and after 7pm (Derby/Leicester/Nottingham)

Radio Derby to lose 7 out of 35 staff

Local football commentary should be unaffected although they are looking at shared commentaries

In 2014 BBC World Service is going to be paid for out of licence fee

MW signal going across the country except Radio Derby

Expecting staff walk outs due to pay cuts

I can remember reading before the election that one of the conditions of Rupert Murdoch switching the Sun's allegiance from Labour to Tory was on the understanding that the complete take over of Sky would be allowed plus the BBC to be cut back, especially the on-line content as he wanted to charge for his papers and SKY's on line stuff.

Obviously the phone hacking put paid to the SKY takeover but he charges for some of his on line content.

Cutting the beebs internet stuff may entice a few more to pay for his Sun,Times and Sky on line.

Archived