From a Terrified Ipswich Supporter

HarryfromBath

We were already up poo creek with a squad not good enough, unfair to put any blame on Jewell for that.

We also let 6 in against Cardiff under Clough with 11 men on the pitch.

Ipswich fans would be crazy talking about getting rid already 4 games into the season and what he did for them last season. Some new players take longer to settle in than others.

But I think any decent manager could have inspired a few more points out, even though our squad was absolutely gash.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I think any decent manager could have inspired a few more points out, even though our squad was absolutely gash.

Mourinho wouldn't of been able to do anything with that squad, not many clubs accept relegation before Santa comes down the chimney but we had.

Crap managers also don't take clubs from League 2 to the Premiership in 4 years, that isn't no fluke.

He's OK when things are going well and he's got zillions to spend, but when things go wrong they go horribly wrong.

He made a few signings that were potentially good, but they were diluted by so much utter rubbish, all them useless wingers!

Makes me mad just thinking about it.

Mourinho wouldn't of been able to do anything with that squad, not many clubs accept relegation before Santa comes down the chimney but we had.

Crap managers also don't take clubs from League 2 to the Premiership in 4 years, that isn't no fluke.

Mike Newell took Luton from League 2 to 9th in the Championship..

Go take a look on wiki to find out how his career panned out since then.. He was linked with a host of clubs after guiding Luton to 9th (including us and Leicester)

Jewell has failed at every big club he's been at.. Bradford he did a good job, but at Wigan had he stayed they would have gone down the year after..

I just don't rate him as a manager.. Completely destroyed us, there isn't another manager out there in world football that could have done any worse than he did.. He wielded like 3 or 4 points in 20 odd games in The PL and had us 18th/19th in The NPC when he left at Xmas..

He got rid of our better players and bought in tripe.. The only good players he did bring in were Hulse, Commons and Green and Clough has got far more out of them than Jewell ever did.

Mike Newell took Luton from League 2 to 9th in the Championship..

Go take a look on wiki to find out how his career panned out since then.. He was linked with a host of clubs after guiding Luton to 9th (including us and Leicester)

Jewell has failed at every big club he's been at.. Bradford he did a good job, but at Wigan had he stayed they would have gone down the year after..

I just don't rate him as a manager.. Completely destroyed us, there isn't another manager out there in world football that could have done any worse than he did.. He wileded like 3 or 4 points in 20 odd games in The PL and had us 18th/19th in The NPC when he left at Xmas..

He got rid of our better players and bought in tripe.. The only good players he did bring in were Hulse, Commons and Green and Clough has got far more out of them than Jewell ever did.

Some managers are one club managers like Curbishley, whenever a top job comes up his name is always up there yet what has he done that Jewell hasn't? I think he deserves a little respect for what he has achieved, he's not the worst manager in football nor is he the best.

So far at Ipswich he's not done a bad job all, if I remember correctly he was getting alot of praise last season. This season hasn't started that well for him it's only 4 games. Football fans are fickle, we expect everything yesterday or your out the door.

i thought he was a terrible manager

He came in when things were going badly and managed to make it even worse. We only picked up 4 points under jewell in the Prem.....4 fkin points!!!

He slagged everyone off, tore the team to shreads, blew all our money on Savage - a player we especially hated at the time - just terrible.

He rebuilt far too rapidly. Made a few good signings, but twice as many cr@p signings. Never seemed to know what it was he was trying to achieve. Eventually fell out with his own signings - notably Savage and Carroll. it was a relief when he went.

Having said that....Phil Brown was worse.

Amazed he's signed Ellington again. Shows he's not learning from his mistakes.

i thought he was a terrible manager

He came in when things were going badly and managed to make it even worse. We only picked up 4 points under jewell in the Prem.....4 fkin points!!!

He slagged everyone off, tore the team to shreads, blew all our money on Savage - a player we especially hated at the time - just terrible.

He rebuilt far too rapidly. Made a few good signings, but twice as many cr@p signings. Never seemed to know what it was he was trying to achieve. Eventually fell out with his own signings - notably Savage and Carroll. it was a relief when he went.

Having said that....Phil Brown was worse.

Amazed he's signed Ellington again. Shows he's not learning from his mistakes.

He signed Hulse and Commons , Steve Davies ,Ellington ,Villa and that bloke from Stockport who never played for us. We already had Barnes. 7 strikers at least . But he never paid any attention to the defence. Lookslike hes got the same problem at Ipswich.

In fairness in defence he signed Connolly, Stewart, Albrechtson, and Stubbs. (Any more?)

Stubbs would've been great, we were unlucky with him, and Albrechtson looked pretty good until his injury. McEveley had done 'ok' in the Prem and Stewart had done well at Watford so was decent backup. Connolly had been a star for Plymouth for ages, and even he was supposed to be second choice to Mears who jumped ship.

He did sign some decent players, it's just his man management and tactics that were a little off. We did have a spell of about 10 games under him where we were doing well remember, it was just too much of a job for him to sort the club out after the Premiership disaster.

Ok not really. He was pants with us and I agree he couldn't seem to set up a defensive unit at the back with (let's face it) some not bad players.

I think the thing that most upset me was his stark and flat acceptance before the end of the January Transfer Window that we would be relegated from the Premiership. Whilst it was a fair evaluation of our situation it wasn't great for morale (the fans or the team) and not what the manager should be saying.

Then, when we were in the Campionship the following season, he couldn't stop spouting about the losing mentality and impact the previous season had on the players. Well **** me but isn't it the job of any manager (football or not) to inspire his team and drive them on to be a success and deliver what is expected of them?

Basically he was raite depressing to everyone around him.

I feel for Ipswich and their fans I really do. A decent club, nice people but a horrible future (and I really hate to say that).

Good luck Harry, good luck.

Stewart had done well at Watford.

um....i seem to remember Watford fans coming onto our forum to laugh at us for signing Stewart and Ellington.

um....i seem to remember Watford fans coming onto our forum to laugh at us for signing Stewart and Ellington.

Ellington they would have because of the amount they splashed on him, but Stewart? He did ok for them. Not the best, but he was second choice when here at first and had done alright at Watford.

i remember them saying Stewart was a duffer too.

tbh i never saw much of him.....but it seems they got it right

the wierd thing about jewell was that the second he left, his coaching staff changed it and everything immediately fell into place.

commons central.

he obviously didnt listen.

Archived