Derby County v Doncaster Rovers

GboroRam

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rams win 2-0. If we do win, are there any records broken?

They will bridge a 106-year gap if they can beat Doncaster Rovers at Pride Park Stadium tomorrow and make it four out of four.

Back in 1905, Derby's fourth successive win came away against Newcastle United and the only goal of the game was scored by George Richards, who was an inside forward or left half.

As per usual we Rams fans can start getting a bit carried away.

Hopefully Clough and co will have the players fully focussed.

Doncaster have beaten us on their last 3 visits to Pride Park in the league.

They badly miss Billy Sharpe. They were leading at Brighton for 83 mins on the opening day, Since Sharpe went down injured, they have lacked a cutting edge.

Still, they dominated posession against West Ham and Forest and sounds like they were still able to create the most chances in bth matches.

O'Driscoll was happy with Doncaster's performance in their last two home games...

"I thought we were outstanding in the second half against West Ham and I thought we carried that on for 90 minutes against Forest, which is some feat in the Championship," he said.

"All we can do now is keep trying to create chances. The players have a great deal of belief in what they do."

They will control much of the posession on Saturday, as they usually do when they play us.

Giles Barnes has started their last two matches. Played the full 90 against Forest. He will be dangerous! We all know he would love to score against us.

Any hint of complacency and we will get punished. A half hearted effort in the first half against Shrewsbury on our last time out at Pride Park and we were 3-0 down at half time. Despite our battling performances in our last two away games. Playing at home we are on a hiding to nothing. Because Doncaster have lost all 3 league games, and we have won all our 3. There will be an expectancy for us to win the match.

If the players don't battle in the same way as they did to come back and win against Brum and to hold on to our leads against Watford and Blackpool we will struggle to get a good result on Saturday.

The players ought to be on a high and we have a new option in the defensive midfield area with Hendrick and Bailey seems to have shaken off

the injury he got. Hopefully with those two in their and Bryson, we ought to be able to keep hold of the ball a bit more and play a bit.

And I thought our doomy gloomy tendencies were legendary.

Anyway, I’ve ignored the rest of your sensible post because I need at least one burst of completely uninterrupted happiness and optimism per season to keep me going - and this might be it.

Hopefully Clough and co will have the players fully focussed.

Doncaster have beaten us on their last 3 visits to Pride Park in the league.

They badly miss Billy Sharpe. They were leading at Brighton for 83 mins on the opening day, Since Sharpe went down injured, they have lacked a cutting edge.

Still, they dominated posession against West Ham and Forest and sounds like they were still able to create the most chances in bth matches.

O'Driscoll was happy with Doncaster's performance in their last two home games...

"I thought we were outstanding in the second half against West Ham and I thought we carried that on for 90 minutes against Forest, which is some feat in the Championship," he said.

"All we can do now is keep trying to create chances. The players have a great deal of belief in what they do."

They will control much of the posession on Saturday, as they usually do when they play us.

Giles Barnes has started their last two matches. Played the full 90 against Forest. He will be dangerous! We all know he would love to score against us.

Any hint of complacency and we will get punished. A half hearted effort in the first half against Shrewsbury on our last time out at Pride Park and we were 3-0 down at half time. Despite our battling performances in our last two away games. Playing at home we are on a hiding to nothing. Because Doncaster have lost all 3 league games, and we have won all our 3. There will be an expectancy for us to win the match.

If the players don't battle in the same way as they did to come back and win against Brum and to hold on to our leads against Watford and Blackpool we will struggle to get a good result on Saturday.

The players ought to be on a high and we have a new option in the defensive midfield area with Hendrick and Bailey seems to have shaken off

the injury he got. Hopefully with those two in their and Bryson, we ought to be able to keep hold of the ball a bit more and play a bit.

Top post. In Clough's time at Derby, we've often failed to perform against the teams we think we should beat but have played well against the top teams, especially at home. This is epitomised by the dire league cup matches, Crawley last season etc, whereas we've performed well against the likes of QPR, Newcastle.

Shrewsbury aside though, we've seen a new mindset this season, built on a organised defence and an energetic and committed midfield. We've already shown we can live with some of the 'top' teams-if we can turn it on vs the 'lesser' teams, we could be in for a great season.

Derby 1 Doncaster 0

Ben Davies

I think the problem is that we invariably go to away grounds with the mentality that the opposition are going to be better than us (not necessarily how it should be - Old Trafford maybe but not 90% of grounds in the Championship). So we prepare to weather the storm and hope to nick a goal on the break or from a set piece etc.

At PP, the onus is on us to make the running and we tend to find ourselves bereft of ideas - particularly against 'lesser' opposition who employ the same tactics as we do away from home.

For that reason I think it will be tight tomorrow...we'll probably not carve out that many chances and will have to be weary of Donny giving us a taste of our medicine...

Having said that, we have an awesome opportunity to make it 5 without defeat going in to the break - we could be almost a third of the way to safety!

There is plenty of cause for optimisim for a change. With our captain still out and half the team struggling for fitness - We're joint top and have the best defensive record in the league at present??

Archived