Director of Football / GSE

Matt Carbon

Hi all,

Long time reader and first time poster etc.

A reliable source has told me that earlier in the summer we offered a Director of Football position to John Murtagh (Everton's 'Head of Performance').

Allegedly the deal was done and all set to go ahead when an American from DCFC (presumably Glick) rang to say the terms of reference had changed, i.e. the money they had suggested would be available had been reduced and the club's ambitions had changed with a potential for the Americans to be reducing or removing all of their investment over the course of the next year.

Clearly this perturbed Murtagh who withdrew his application immediately.

I am sure there will be scepticism of a new poster having a 'reliable source' but that's for you to decide I guess!

Reliable source played for EFC previously but I won't disclose who it is (before anyone asks me to).

cheers

Matt Carbon (not THE Matt Carbon).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmm hard to trust a first time poster, but not a totally impossible scenario.

Its plausibilty is enhanced by how quiet things have gone about the director's role and how Mr Glick seems to have gone to ground.

However, I think Nigel may well have walked if he was promised money to spend and then that promise was recinded.

Also, is this the kind of info that a player would know?

And the loan, dont forget the mill stone that is the revolving loan.

If our owners were in it for the long game then you'd think that they'd be actually better paying that off rather than having it as a millstone around our neck every summer. We're never going to have a pot to p1ss in while we can't even use season ticket funds to supplement any transfer kitty.

Hi all,

A reliable source has told me that earlier in the summer we offered a Director of Football position to John Murtagh (Everton's 'Head of Performance').

Allegedly the deal was done and all set to go ahead when an American from DCFC (presumably Glick) rang to say the terms of reference had changed, i.e. the money they had suggested would be available had been reduced and the club's ambitions had changed with a potential for the Americans to be reducing or removing all of their investment over the course of the next year.

I am sure there will be scepticism of a new poster having a 'reliable source' but that's for you to decide I guess!

Reliable source played for EFC previously but I won't disclose who it is (before anyone asks me to).

cheers

If you've been a long time reader then why post it now and not earlier?

Why not post it in the Director of football thread?

Hi all,

cheers

http://www.teetreedesigns.co.uk/Images/ImOut-main

Well my mate Duncan tells me... oh **** I wasn't supposed to say his name ;-)

I have only posted it now because I have only found out in the last week and I haven't posted before due to not really wanting to contribute to the general pro Clough vs anti Clough perennial debate.

I understand if people want to disbelieve but it is posted in the hope that people find it interesting, it isn't definitive in any way but.... is anything on an internet forum definitive?

I personally am very sceptical about the American investors and cant help but think that the US economy may well dictate the level of 'interest' our investors have with their 'british play thing'.

Thing about this messageboard, and maybe all messageboards?, is that once you start out with your first post with "i heard from a reliable source" is that no one can be sure whether your a Derby fan for 60 years or a Forest fan off school looking for mischief.

I'm sure you can understand if some people choose to mock what you say or whatever?

Welcome to the forum. :)

Well my mate Duncan tells me... oh **** I wasn't supposed to say his name ;-)

I have only posted it now because I have only found out in the last week and I haven't posted before due to not really wanting to contribute to the general pro Clough vs anti Clough perennial debate.

I understand if people want to disbelieve but it is posted in the hope that people find it interesting, it isn't definitive in any way but.... is anything on an internet forum definitive?

I personally am very sceptical about the American investors and cant help but think that the US economy may well dictate the level of 'interest' our investors have with their 'british play thing'.

I am skeptical but if its true, we are completely ****** and administrators will be licking their lips and the prospect of knocking on the pride park door, because if all the investment is being revoked that means we're a club constantly piling up the debt and we aren't being covered by our 'investors' then this club is in serious turmoil, especially when we can't pay the players wages..etc

and there is no sign of anything like that at this club, so that's why I am out.

I understand people's reluctance to believe a newbie, so I will let my general contribution win people over in due course!

My source is genuine but I think that Murtagh decided against coming because of the moving goalposts, I dont actually believe the yanks will up and leave anytime soon, I just think they will show the minimum investment and hope for the best.

We will see I guess.

I find this very easy to believe. Murtagh is the kind of guy who could have been effective on the job.

People all over the world are awful worried about the financies of their own and their country and for good reason.

GSE has not been anxious to take any risks and this is exactly what you could expect for them.

Of course this might be fun and games for some one. If we spend 3 million next week for a talented striker then we will know, don`t we ?

Anyway, wellcome to the forum, looking forward to your future posts.

Archived