Director of Football / GSE

Matt Carbon

This chap is 100% correct with respect to the DOF individual, the reason he didn't join I still don't know.

However, someone should ask the club what Jeff Mallet is doing these days. I'm told he no longer has any ties with the club.

Which raises lots of questions

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This chap is 100% correct with respect to the DOF individual, the reason he didn't join I still don't know.

However, someone should ask the club what Jeff Mallet is doing these days. I'm told he no longer has any ties with the club.

Which raises lots of questions

Other than owning some shares in the compnay, which owns the company, which owns the company which owns the club, has Jeff Mallet ever had anything to do with Derby County?

Are you suggesting that he has sold his shares?

I can tell you I don't know the original poster at all. I don't care if some no mark fan believes me or not....just ask the club the question regarding Jeff Mallet

No I don't, but from experience it's wise to be sceptical of first posts giving inside information and then 1st posts supporting it.

Bloody hell Bay Area, all my credibility has gone now!! ;-)

I also confirm that I don't know the poster who has confirmed my info but that isn't going to mean a lot to the skeptics.

In reality, if you believe me or not is immaterial, I do find it interesting that Glick accepted an area of weakness, suggested we would resolve it, and then has failed to do so.

Then again, we have won two on the trot (league) so who cares!

Putting all the scepticism aside, what's been posted here surely makes sense.

Clearly something has gone on behind the scenes. The post-10/11 season talk of 5 or 6 Championship players, more funds and a Director of Football has not materialised.

Whilst I doubt the board would be looking to recoup all of their investment or pull out of the club within a year (we've heard that story time and time again) what's to say that perhaps, in light of the weakened American economy, that the situation has changed over the summer and that investment is not forthcoming?

It's certainly not an improbable scenario

Putting all the scepticism aside, what's been posted here surely makes sense.

Clearly something has gone on behind the scenes. The post-10/11 season talk of 5 or 6 Championship players, more funds and a Director of Football has not materialised.

Whilst I doubt the board would be looking to recoup all of their investment or pull out of the club within a year (we've heard that story time and time again) what's to say that perhaps, in light of the weakened American economy, that the situation has changed over the summer and that investment is not forthcoming?

It's certainly not an improbable scenario

But this happens every transfer window, maybe the investment was never there in the first place, and therefore the owners have not really changed their stance.

I dont think they would sell it because of the current climate, would they get a return on the money in a bank ? How much would they have to pay in taxes if they did sell it ? Probably easier for them to just sit tight and see what happens, after all they are not short of a bob or 2.

I dont think they would sell it because of the current climate, would they get a return on the money in a bank ? How much would they have to pay in taxes if they did sell it ? Probably easier for them to just sit tight and see what happens, after all they are not short of a bob or 2.

First attempt at quoting so I hope that works. (Gboro - not great, TBH :))

The return on the investment is probably not disimilar to money in the bank at the moment (if not worse) with a hell of a lot more risk.

I also cant see how there would be any tax to pay upon a sale... they surely wouldn't be facing a massive capital gains tax position!

My suspicion is that the Americans want to sit on a club that has an almost sustainable business model and hope for the best, if they went up I think they would be looking to sell sharpish. I cynically don't believe their 'in it for the long term', 'creating a world brand' lines. A lot of people in England don't know where Derby is or who DCFC are (seriously, I went to uni and tried to spread the word), let alone the rest of the world!

I had a dream last night i was on the BBC sport home page and there was a news feed with 'Derby looking for new owners' - spooky.

As Wilko said, obviously something has gone on behind the scenes, with DOF, signings etc said to be coming in and that not happening then somethings not right.

But this happens every transfer window, maybe the investment was never there in the first place, and therefore the owners have not really changed their stance.

One thing that is a fact and worthy of far more debate time than it is currently getting is that football is in the midst of its biggest revolutionary change since possibly the Bosman ruling or the establishment of the Premier League and it is happening so quietly that most are not even noticing it.

The fair play rules ruling finance come in next year (I know this has already been discussed on the forum in some part) but the effects are becoming more noticeable on a daily basis and the economic situation both sides of the pond are bound to have a direct effect. You can already see that good, high earning Prem League players are being released and finding it very difficult to find new clubs. It is inevitable that we are going to see wages and transfer fees come down and many players are going to have to realign their expectations. This will have an impact on a clubs buying policy and the long term planning due to the size of potential resale fees for players that can be bought and developed.

Clubs that have sizable, long term legacy contracts are going to be in trouble and you are likely to see many clubs on or around the fringes of the Prem League having to go through the cost and wage bill trimming pain that we have gone through in the last 3 years. The extreme possibilities are that some clubs could end up doing a Portsmouth (although the new regulations are designed to stop that kind of thing from happening in the future). Derby on the other hand will have to make very little change if any to their operating model.

This is probably of no interest to those who want success today but the facts are that we will be well positioned to be very competitive (financially) amongst the large group of clubs with serious ambitions to be in the Prem. It is already noticeable around PPS that the American influence has resulted in our advertising and merchandising being exploited on a greater basis. We are never going to be the world brand that generates mass international revenues but we are clearly working hard to catch as much cash as we can in our own sphere. We have big crowds and according to the recent study done of ticket, pie and cup of tea costs we are far from the cheapest in the Championship. Our revenue generation and hence our ability to spend within the new fair play rules will be better than nearly all that we are competing against.

All of this is creating much uncertainty and we appear to be adopting a very careful and cautious approach (rightly so in my opinion). I don’t see the Yanks selling as the conditions right now do not lend themselves to them making any return on the original investment they made (economic situation and relative status of the club right now vs when they invested).

On a slightly separate note, I spent a short time in conversation with the President of Bohemians FC during half time at their derby game vs Shamrock Rovers in Dublin last week and he told me that he has had contact with Glick on several occasions for various reasons. He was comparing Glick to Randy Lerner at Villa who he said clearly has a stand off and leave alone approach, leaving a capable team to run the club on a daily basis. He was of the opinion that Glick was actively involved in everything at Derby and was a workaholic with not enough hours in the day, possibly due to not enough capable people to delegate to. He had nothing but good things to say about him. If nothing else, that told me that our owners are working hard trying to make our club successful.

I apologise if I have gone off at a tangent on what was initially a thread about a different subject but the mention of budgets being cut and the Yanks may be selling prompted me to put this up.

On a slightly separate note, I spent a short time in conversation with the President of Bohemians FC during half time at their derby game vs Shamrock Rovers in Dublin last week and he told me that he has had contact with Glick on several occasions for various reasons. He was comparing Glick to Randy Lerner at Villa who he said clearly has a stand off and leave alone approach, leaving a capable team to run the club on a daily basis. He was of the opinion that Glick was actively involved in everything at Derby and was a workaholic with not enough hours in the day, possibly due to not enough capable people to delegate to. He had nothing but good things to say about him. If nothing else, that told me that our owners are working hard trying to make our club successful.

It's an unfair comparison though - Glick vs Randy Lerner - Lerner's an owner, Glick is not (albeit he might have a small shareholding). Glick is the type of person that Lerner will be leaving things to.

Either way, Glick's not really the problem, it's the owners. Glick's got a mandate and he's carrying it out. The owners set that mandate.

ok - while we're at it ... lets go for a hat trick of "longtime readers .... 1st time posters"

What Matt Carbon posts here is absolutely on the money. I was told about the end of may from an absolute rock solid source that this was the case - i.e. the appointment was all agreed and it was going to happen ..... although i've had no info on the reason why subsequently it didint then go through.

For the record - I was also told some v intersting further info around what this guy was expected to do.

Please dont accuse me of being a Forest WUM .... cos im a 1st time poster ...... nothing could be further from the truth ..... there are clearly fans on here who have been following the rams longer than i, but i was defo there when the peno spot had to be repainted v Man City ..... 76 ?? 77 ???

I wont reveal my source either.

UTR's !!!

I have full reason to believe the first time posters here. Glick said a while ago now (not sure when, but someone will no doubt find the quote :D:p) that the appointment of a DOF was all but sealed and would be done in the next 2 weeks.

Well, guess what, that was much longer than 2 weeks ago. Clough has also stated that we wont necessarily be the top 6 team that we aspired to be before pre-season. Bad results may have changed his mind, but it seems like the goalposts have been moved already.

I have full reason to believe the first time posters here. Glick said a while ago now (not sure when, but someone will no doubt find the quote :D:p) that the appointment of a DOF was all but sealed and would be done in the next 2 weeks.

Well, guess what, that was much longer than 2 weeks ago. Clough has also stated that we wont necessarily be the top 6 team that we aspired to be before pre-season. Bad results may have changed his mind, but it seems like the goalposts have been moved already.

is this the quote your referring too

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/director-football-be-appointed-derby-1714261

where he says he is hopeful the appointment would be made in a few weeks.

ok - while we're at it ... lets go for a hat trick of "longtime readers .... 1st time posters"

What Matt Carbon posts here is absolutely on the money. I was told about the end of may from an absolute rock solid source that this was the case - i.e. the appointment was all agreed and it was going to happen ..... although i've had no info on the reason why subsequently it didint then go through.

For the record - I was also told some v intersting further info around what this guy was expected to do.

Please dont accuse me of being a Forest WUM .... cos im a 1st time poster ...... nothing could be further from the truth ..... there are clearly fans on here who have been following the rams longer than i, but i was defo there when the peno spot had to be repainted v Man City ..... 76 ?? 77 ???

I wont reveal my source either.

UTR's !!!

Are you Joe Corrigan?

Hi all,

Long time reader and first time poster etc.

A reliable source has told me that earlier in the summer we offered a Director of Football position to John Murtagh (Everton's 'Head of Performance').

Allegedly the deal was done and all set to go ahead when an American from DCFC (presumably Glick) rang to say the terms of reference had changed, i.e. the money they had suggested would be available had been reduced and the club's ambitions had changed with a potential for the Americans to be reducing or removing all of their investment over the course of the next year.

Clearly this perturbed Murtagh who withdrew his application immediately.

I am sure there will be scepticism of a new poster having a 'reliable source' but that's for you to decide I guess!

Reliable source played for EFC previously but I won't disclose who it is (before anyone asks me to).

cheers

Matt Carbon (not THE Matt Carbon).

Having had time to think about this, I suspect you are completly right.

I think things aren't as rosey as Glick and Appleby would have us believe.

It's almost like someone has been waiting in the background to pounce on any sign of weaknesss.

So Matt, do you still plan to build the plaza?*

*I am, of course, refering to a fictional plaza to be built somewhere many miles away from Derby and in no way infer the involvement of any real persons, alive or dead.

Archived