Hendrick on way home

dabber

Ireland got beat 5-0 by Spain in the semi today, so Jeff will be on the way back as there does not seem to be a 3rd place game.

Is he the answer to our holding midfielder quest (hardly proven Championship I know!)? If we are going to play 4-1-3-2 then certainly not, but if 4-2-3-1 then I think him and Bailey could do the job, even Bailey and Bryson.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame he's on the verge of breaking through in the same summer he's called up for a international tournament.

Would of been brilliant to have had him for the friendlies.

The 5 man subs rule might keep him in the reserves until our season is decided.

Stupid rule.

Spain are so good its scary.

They'll dominate the next decade in club and international football.

Agreed, just wish that players like Xavi had started there international careers round about now, because he won't ever get the recognition his skills deserve. Absolutely fantastic player, Iniesta too, although he's a bit younger.

Shame he's on the verge of breaking through in the same summer he's called up for a international tournament.

Stupid rule.

I think the tournament was certainly great for his match fitness; I think he played 90 mins in each of their 4 games. But yes not much chance to impress Clough and see how he fits in the current scheme of things. I think too inexperienced to fill the role at the moment, but I would rather him than a last minute panic now it seems our only target has signed a new contract with Watford. Oakley would be a good shout to show the young lads the ropes however

I think Xavi is on the shortlist for UEFA POTY this year. With Ronaldo and Messi. Iniesta came 4th.

I agree btw, Xavi has gone years without the recognition he deserves. Probably because everything he does is unspectacular. But he's certainly a complete midfielder. Master of all trades.

All that hard work with the youngsters has paid off now. The next generation coming through seems alright aswell eh?

I think the tournament was certainly great for his match fitness; I think he played 90 mins in each of their 4 games. But yes not much chance to impress Clough and see how he fits in the current scheme of things. I think too inexperienced to fill the role at the moment, but I would rather him than a last minute panic now it seems our only target has signed a new contract with Watford. Oakley would be a good shout to show the young lads the ropes however

Yeah, i doubt he's aquired the intelligence/experience to play such an important position yet. The DM role obviously requires you to be able to read the game well. An older head is going to be better at that.

I'd rather see him on loan if he can't make the bench. I really hate the new 5 subs rule. I thought we're supposed to be encouraging British youngsters through into the top level of the game. How many clubs have got youth talent on the verge of a breakthrough that aren't going to get 20mins here and there now.

It'd be nice to make room for O'Brien too on the bench.

Again, i hate this new rule :mad:

Wasn't it shown on Sky or summat, I'm sure that the FA will have the games on DVD. Certainly Cloughie will be able to watch the games

Stupid rule.[/QUOTE]

The game of football survived over 100 years with 3 subs or less, I don't see why everyone is complaining about this rule change.

I think it will make teams think harder about the size of squad they wish to have and if anything will give youngsters greater chance of progression as clubs will be less likely to buy players just ot fill the bench...although we can hardly be criticised for that!

Agreed, just wish that players like Xavi had started there international careers round about now, because he won't ever get the recognition his skills deserve. Absolutely fantastic player, Iniesta too, although he's a bit younger.

Nah, if Xavi was starting out now then it would still take him years to get the full recognition he deserves as he would still be yet to dictate the way football was to change.

Arguably, players like Maradona and Messi don't really change the game apart from reminding us how small little players can be wonderful players of sublime skills. The way Xavi and Iniesta have been coached and play have set a new standard for everyone else to attempt to copy.

When Barca beat Man U I thought both Rio and Vidic were superb and Barca still thrashed them. Shame Spurs didn't get to play Barca last season when they were going through their purple patch. Maybe their counter attacking ability could have broken through and they may have sneaked past by the odd goal in 17.

Anyway, is Hendrick the new Xavi or what?

Remember Steve Sutton getting sent off against Bristol City after about 5 minutes and Jossie playing in goals for the rest of the game.

Was just saying to my old man the other day that red cards were very few and far between in the 80s and 90s and there would never of been the need for 7 subs back then....maybe a sign of the slippery slope football has been on since those days.

Football survived all right with just one football for matches, doesn't mean there's not a better system out there.

Spain, Germany and France have been far better at producing consistant youth - and they have had bigger benches for longer than us. Doesn't that tell you something?

I'm all for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - but the point is, it is broke. Our system is flawed in this country.

Archived