Let's Talk al-Notts Rovers

Day

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just listened out of interest to the radio interview Nigel Doughty gave yesterday to Radio Nottingham. I have to say what a genuine, sincere guy he seems to be. Quite honestly the Forest fans who have called for his head don't deserve the support he has given them.

On a larger issue though surely this has to be the wake up call for all fans within the Championship that still think the only way forward is to buy it. Doughty quite clearly has reached the end of the line. The signal he is sending is now identical to GSE namely you need to recruit a manager who can find local/cheap talent and build a team not assemble individuals. Clubs have to finance themselves. It seems however that looking at the Forest message boards AND listening still to a few of our fans that lots of supporters still don't get it.

Realistically would we be happy if we were like Leicester? They are hugely indebted to very distant owners. They may have success they may not but I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for all the tea in China. For me what ultimately comes out of this is that GSE have got it dead right. Credit to them.

It depends how the deal is structured with Leicester, if its a loan than no, however if its done as an investment deal then yes I would.

People were looking at Chelsea, years ago and commenting on how they would come crashing down, and have now been joined by Man City, both of these clubs are being run with investment and not loans (I believe speaking to fans of both clubs).

There is nothing wrong with getting the balance right between running the club like a business and having investment as well, GSE are not doing this, it is very easy to become hung up on this financing yourself plan, whilst clubs who invest smartly and also run a tight ship overtake you.

To me GSE are running Derby the way they are, because they dont want to invest any more money into it, we are to me two players short of a team that at the end of the season would be challenging for a top 6 place, yet we have no money to invest into these players, yes it secures our long term futre, but it means we are hoping for that one off season to get us promoted.

No Doughty is not going to invest millions more into the club, but I wonder on the other hand if he feels he has taken the club as far as he can, and its time to step aside and sell rather than become stagnant as what they appear to be at the moment ?

Man City and Chelsea may yet come crashing down. They also, as I understand it, have to relate their wage bill to their turnover or face not getting into europe. It is still my opinion that the old way forward (Sugar Daddy), which to some has become the only way forward, has had it's day....................... As said, personally I really really hope this is the case.

PS. I agree that careful investment at the right time is vital for any growing business but have you thought that it may be the realism on the wages level rather than the capital cost that is preventing the couple of players arriving we appear to need?

Man City and Chelsea may yet come crashing down. They also, as I understand it, have to relate their wage bill to their turnover or face not getting into europe. It is still my opinion that the old way forward (Sugar Daddy), which to some has become the only way forward, has had it's day....................... As said, personally I really really hope this is the case.

PS. I agree that careful investment at the right time is vital for any growing business but have you thought that it may be the realism on the wages level rather than the capital cost that is preventing the couple of players arriving we appear to need?

Maybe it is, and Im sure this argument could go on forever with valid points being raised to both sides.

But sometimes you have to realign your budget when things go against you, like bringing Matt Oakley in on a short term loan to cover for an injury, I just think Derby have become too obessed with living within the your means strategy, or they just dont have a choice.

Anyway as I said, I dont want to turn this into another 100 page debate on our owners, lets for now just laugh at the red dogs 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

i think he should have eeked it out for a few more months.

But not a bad job done.

Well done Stevie, congratulations, from the bottom of my heart.

Everyone over here is so proud of what you have acheived in such a small amount of time, with such limited resources.....

I have just seen the new release at the cinema's, destined for multiple Oscars, great lead performance from a first rate English actor....

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Steve"

Doughty interview from this morning for anyone interested; [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15151087.stm]http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/15151087.stm

Thanks, reassuring to hear him say that he will be there for the near future to help guide us through FFP. That said it is worrying times and i do see some players leaving in January and the summer. The big thing for the club is remaining in the championship, has to be the main thing when appointing the next manager, whoever that might be.

Shouldn't laugh!

Much 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

The boots on the other foot, at least for a bit. What a refreshing change. Long may it last!!

Thanks, reassuring to hear him say that he will be there for the near future to help guide us through FFP. That said it is worrying times and i do see some players leaving in January and the summer. The big thing for the club is remaining in the championship, has to be the main thing when appointing the next manager, whoever that might be.

Who would you like the next manager to be?

which players would you keep? and which would you be happy to get rid of?

Who would you like the next manager to be?

Honestly i don't know. Whoever would be best for the club to work on a small budget. Some of the favourites seem to be Karl Robinson from MK Dons who i don't know alot about and ridiculously, Billy Davies returning until the end of the year. The way the club is run is a complete shambles!

which players would you keep? and which would you be happy to get rid of?

Keep? Almost all the BD 'playoff' side so Cohen, Camp, McGugan, Gunter. Rid? All the Steve McClaren players with exception to Miller! Oh and i think that if good offers come in for Chambers he should go aswell, anyone got a phone number for Reading FC? Wonder if they are still interested..

Well, it was going to happen sooner or later wasn't it? It is good to see the reds struggle but I don't think it will have the impact that many are thinking. Doughty isn't asking for his money back and won't be doing either- as long as the fans stop slating him!

As long as they get the next manager right he will guide them to a mid table finish at worst and then trade players in and out over the summer and then go again. They will not be in any worse position than many other clubs in the champ- if the fair play rules actually have a punishment attached (a realistic one, not one that makes no difference to the club) then a lot of clubs are going to be in a similar position, if not worse if their benefactors want their cash back.

All that has changed in my eyes is that the bubble has burst a season earlier than it would have done anyway. Forest won't get promoted this season but the chances of that were slim before the season started.

I have just listened out of interest to the radio interview Nigel Doughty gave yesterday to Radio Nottingham. I have to say what a genuine, sincere guy he seems to be. Quite honestly the Forest fans who have called for his head don't deserve the support he has given them.

On a larger issue though surely this has to be the wake up call for all fans within the Championship that still think the only way forward is to buy it. Doughty quite clearly has reached the end of the line. The signal he is sending is now identical to GSE namely you need to recruit a manager who can find local/cheap talent and build a team not assemble individuals. Clubs have to finance themselves. It seems however that looking at the Forest message boards AND listening still to a few of our fans that lots of supporters still don't get it.

Realistically would we be happy if we were like Leicester? They are hugely indebted to very distant owners and saddled with potentially unsustainable wage levels. They may have success they may not but I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for all the tea in China. For me what ultimately comes out of this is that GSE have got it dead right. Credit to them.

Yes, their fans looked gutted on saturday when that 4th goal went in 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

Billy Davies apparently wants to go back to the city ground, I really hope this doesn't happen, the massive Bananas of relief when he was sacked by me was very large, if he was to go back Forest would again turn into a half decent side.

He gets the best out of **** players 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Archived