Lee Croft Transfer Rumours

Stimacked

players who look excellent in the lower leagues may fail when it comes to the championship, it is a big step up from league 1 to the championship and overall from what i have seen he for me isn't quite up to the mark.

Perhaps but this tends to happen when the players from the lower leagues rely on their physical abilities for instance their engine, speed, strength..etc (liam dickinson), Ben Davies is a very good technical player, when I watched him it was odd because he wasn't a player who was fast or strong but he could take a ball down from pretty much every angle and pick a pass, along with that his set pieces were always dangerous, since he come here they have been poor, very poor infact which surprised me but also makes me think that perhaps the pressure got to him and that's why he was doing so poorly.

I know Ben Davies is a good technical player, his physical ability is perhaps not upto scratch IMO but he is very good with the ball, or at least was in the past. This is watching him through a number of occasions (over 20) and I would of signed him if the asking price was a million, again on what I saw.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on this i am glad you aren't our manager, ben davies is not worth a million pounds, 250,000 as a gamble, his technical ability looked better in the lower leagues because a lot of the players are poor and things like set pieces, if the opposition isn't very good at marking etc then it can exaggerate how good he is. For me he hasn't been good enough and it isn't pressure it is just that he is not good enough. His physical attributes are so poor it really hinders his play as well which in this league is a problem. He might have been good on the ball in league2/1 but in this league he is average at best.

wide players need to be quick and have a few tricks.....not sure Davies has got either.

the days of fatty Robbo shuffling along the line in his slippers with a fag in one hand and a pint in the other are long gone.

Based on this i am glad you aren't our manager, ben davies is not worth a million pounds, 250,000 as a gamble, his technical ability looked better in the lower leagues because a lot of the players are poor and things like set pieces, if the opposition isn't very good at marking etc then it can exaggerate how good he is. For me he hasn't been good enough and it isn't pressure it is just that he is not good enough. His physical attributes are so poor it really hinders his play as well which in this league is a problem. He might have been good on the ball in league2/1 but in this league he is average at best.

I'm going on what I saw of him in the lower division, technically very good. His delivery was most of the time spot on, you've only seen him in a Derby shirt, which has started off very disappointing but because I've seen him before and know what he can do, I've got no doubt he'll come good, he is too good not to.

yes in the lower divisions, balls in the lower divisions which might end up as goals, in this league could be easily defended, for me from what i have seen he won't come good and will be sold in a year or two or just released.

I give up, the quality of the balls he was putting into the box was of a very high standard, he hasn't done it here not because the defending is so much better but he just hasn't produced for being off form, not settling into the new team whatever.

as I said he is too good not to become good, in my opinion.

I give up, the quality of the balls he was putting into the box was of a very high standard, he hasn't done it here not because the defending is so much better but he just hasn't produced for being off form, not settling into the new team whatever.

as I said he is too good not to become good, in my opinion.

Hope you're right Ambitious, it's too easy to write off a player based on a few performances and I heard some really good reports about him before he was signed. Taking a dead-ball kick is the same in any division so I can only assume it's pressure that's affected his form. Let's hope a full pre-season helps him.

Hope you're right Ambitious, it's too easy to write off a player based on a few performances and I heard some really good reports about him before he was signed. Taking a dead-ball kick is the same in any division so I can only assume it's pressure that's affected his form. Let's hope a full pre-season helps him.

no it isn't the same, the defending and how effective it is because of that is dramatically different depending on the league you are in, his balls for me aren't any good and in this division are easy to defend.

no it isn't the same, the defending and how effective it is because of that is dramatically different depending on the league you are in, his balls for me aren't any good and in this division are easy to defend.

If we was producing what he did at Notts County here then he would of scored a few more and set up a hell of a lot more for me, He hasn't produced the same quality here than he did at Notts County, i'm positive he can rectify that and he will become a good player here, he is not initally first choice now so will have to fight to get in the team, but I back him to give it a pretty good go as a centre mid (if we play 4-3-3) his passing range is very good, tidy on the ball and can score from distance.

for me he doesn't fit anywhere, his physical attributes are very poor and technically for me he isn't brilliant enough to make up for that in cm, he was an attempt to fill Kc when he left but failed and didn't do well. I would want him to be moved on to somewhere like rochdale where he will do well and not be out of his depth. You could see during the games he was going full pelt but it just wasn't enough.

We'll have to agree to differ then as I can't for the life of me see how the quality of a free-kick or corner could depend on the league you are in.

i am not debating the quality is what differs i am debating the effect, now the quality of davies's balls in the box at league 2 and even at league 1 level i think would cause difficulty, at this level i think the quality can be and often is easily defended.

i am not debating the quality is what differs i am debating the effect, now the quality of davies's balls in the box at league 2 and even at league 1 level i think would cause difficulty, at this level i think the quality can be and often is easily defended.

What about direct free kicks? Goals are the same size and if its in the top corner, its in the top corner. I think you should hang fire for a while with him, from what I have seen, he is someone who can and will use the ball wisely.

young ram you are so tedious mate it is painful, how many threads are you planning on arguing pure ******** in? Davies's set pieces improved no end towards the end of the season i think he just need time to settle. Goal against weeds wasn't shy either.

direct free kicks will be affected by the goal keeper and how he positions the wall and himself.

True, but the fact that his free kicks are either over or tamely into the wall suggests that he isn't performing, yet, to the standard he has been for Notts. He even has admitted that he was nervous on his debut, and I bet if that volley had gone in, in the 2nd half, we would have seen a completely diferent player.

True, but the fact that his free kicks are either over or tamely into the wall suggests that he isn't performing, yet, to the standard he has been for Notts. He even has admitted that he was nervous on his debut, and I bet if that volley had gone in, in the 2nd half, we would have seen a completely diferent player.

I suspect the same. He's been pretty unlucky elsewhere too, he put at least 2 very good corners onto Barker's head which Barker then missed, and he set up 2 or 3 pretty decent chances in open play as well, all of which were missed. He could easily have finished the season with a couple of goals and maybe half a dozen assists. From what I've seen, he's not an out and out attacking player, with dribbling and tricks, he's more of a busy little passer, kind of like Andres Iniesta (and before anyone argues, I'm not saying he's as good as Iniesta). Technically, he's looked pretty good to me, his first touch is good and he's rarely given the ball away (unlike Green and Pearson). If he can improve his delivery, he could be a useful player imo. And I actually think he could play in the 2 central midfielders as well, probably not as well as Bailey, but if Bailey is unavailable, I think he's got a similar set of attributes.

yes in the lower divisions, balls in the lower divisions which might end up as goals, in this league could be easily defended, for me from what i have seen he won't come good and will be sold in a year or two or just released.

If the quality of the defending of the balls is better in this division, shouldnt that mean the quality of the attacking of the balls is better as well?

And I suppose in the division above, teams like Arsenal (top 4) never concede from free kicks do they, oh wait....

Archived