What does Stephen Pearson actually bring?

Wilko

Am I missing something with Stephen Pearson?

Nigel continues to play him whenever he is fit, either on the wing or down the middle (down the wing more recently).

But for me he brings absolutely nothing to the team. He has the occasional burst of pace but beyond that, nothing. And he very rarely makes use of the pace he has, maybe once or twice every couple of games he will beat his man and put a decent cross in. But today just highlighted the problem with him. He never, ever has his head up and as a result, he's just making the job of the right-back easier. Should he beat his man for once, 9 times out of 10 the cross won't leave the ground and will be cleared.

Yes, in fairness, he set up both goals at Leeds (one excellent run and cross and one good corner). But with a winger, you don't want a player who is going to set up one goal a season. That is an appalling record when you consider how many games he's actually played on the wing this year.

I get that he's a trier, but he just does not have the quality. For all the criticism of his first-touch, I'd sooner have Theo on the flank because he will beat his man much more often and in fairness his crossing isn't half-bad either.

Today he was exceptionally poor, giving away the ball time after time and playing some truly atrocious passes. If we're going to move forward next season, I honestly don't think Pearson can a part of it. We need much better players and it amazes me that Clough rated him so highly to give him a new contract.

So am I missing something, or is Pearson as poor as he seems?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I missing something with Stephen Pearson?

Nigel continues to play him whenever he is fit, either on the wing or down the middle (down the wing more recently).

But for me he brings absolutely nothing to the team. He has the occasional burst of pace but beyond that, nothing. And he very rarely makes use of the pace he has, maybe once or twice every couple of games he will beat his man and put a decent cross in. But today just highlighted the problem with him. He never, ever has his head up and as a result, he's just making the job of the right-back easier. Should he beat his man for once, 9 times out of 10 the cross won't leave the ground and will be cleared.

Yes, in fairness, he set up both goals at Leeds (one excellent run and cross and one good corner). But with a winger, you don't want a player who is going to set up one goal a season. That is an appalling record when you consider how many games he's actually played on the wing this year.

I get that he's a trier, but he just does not have the quality. For all the criticism of his first-touch, I'd sooner have Theo on the flank because he will beat his man much more often and in fairness his crossing isn't half-bad either.

Today he was exceptionally poor, giving away the ball time after time and playing some truly atrocious passes. If we're going to move forward next season, I honestly don't think Pearson can a part of it. We need much better players and it amazes me that Clough rated him so highly to give him a new contract.

So am I missing something, or is Pearson as poor as he seems?

Said in another thread, but agree entirely. Today he was so bad it was unreal, misplaced pass after misplaced pass. Gave them their second penalty with some stupid cushioned header that put the Leacock in a difficult situation. If he's a starter next season ill continue to question Nigel's ability as a football manager.

can't help but agree with wilko on this. pearson drives me mad.

i really hope that he is a bit part player next year.

(infact he's been a bit part player most the time he's been here - except when injured or totally crap)

He's had 5 effective performance for us this season, doubling his Derby-career total IMO.

Much like Teale, he's crap but not scared to receive the ball - a deadly combination if you're a fan.

I hope he goes myself but to be honest you can never expect a player to play well if you're treated like Teale or Pearson, our treatment to both of them has been absolutely shambolic.

The only time that I've seen Pearson be effective is when he's played in the middle. Use him to break up opposition play and play two-yard passes.

The only asset that he's really got is his 'engine'. He can run around the middle of the park all day.

What about his defensive positioning.

Not only has Gareth Roberts improved massively but he's done it with Pearson infront of him. Pearson is shockingly naive. He never tracks a run. He plays everything that's infront of him. His wider vision of the game is painful to watch. If Cywka is "not very bright" then Pearson..... well, he should go back to Celtic or wherever he's from ;):D

But Nigel isn't the only manager that's rated him.

Billy is a good manager. We all know that. He rated Pearson. He must be world class in training.

Still cheer his name though. Wont help to give him a hard time. He doesn't pick himself.

Next season will be his SIXTH season at the club, depressing.

He sums up the clubs poor decisions made in the last 5 years, think NC regrets that contract extension a year ago.

I don't get where you think clough regrets giving him a contract ext, clough always speaks well of him and starts him when fit.

Next season will be his SIXTH season at the club, depressing.

He sums up the clubs poor decisions made in the last 5 years, think NC regrets that contract extension a year ago.

The thing is with a poor budget and not able to bring in anyone better it limits your choices. Teale was worse than Pearson, Croft and Martins did not work out (both freebies), Ben Davies struggling with injury, Bailey out injured since Portsmouth, Jamie Ward wrongly sent off and banned, Theo Robinson gets tackled in more dangerous positions and loses the ball more than him, Bueno is not a midfielder in a side struggling as he can not tackle, Cywka out injured, Addison I think is being rested as he should not have been playing this year, Savage was better, Commons was never going to sign. Think this is our midfield options covered, what do you do.

We talk about a LB and a striker, midfield is your engine they cover and protect the defence whilst supporting your attackers. For me this has been the weakness for Derby since we got rid of players like Oakley and Jones under Jewell. We never invested properly in this area. I would rather see Murray (on a free) and Le Fondre (500k) as I really think with the right players in they will score plenty for us and bag 15+ goals a piece which is a playoff strike force. I would have Jamie Ward on the right with Brayford supporting and those two would really tie up that side of the field. I would rather see a strong positive CM to partner Bailey and a Left winger who can forge same partnership with either Roberts or a.n.other LB. I would spend a million on each of these two unless two really good midfielders become free on a bosman. This will then allow us to play 433 or 4231 or 442. We then have a plan B and C.

I would also like Addison to move back to CB to forge long term partnership with Barker. He is not quick enough or skillful enough to play in midfield and this may be through being rusty and long term injury however he is more solid in defence. This would then mean we can use the money else where, I would only bring Ayala back on loan (or if a deal can be made). I think if Bailey is allowed more freedom and confidence in his midfield pairing he can become quite influential as at the beginning of his season he opened defences up with his passing, as the season went on Sav got more tired and he had to cover more then he had the injury

Croft and Martins did not work out (both freebies),

wrong...Martin cost £200k and hasnt had a chance.

I would also like Addison to move back to CB to forge long term partnership with Barker.

That partnership would see us ship over 60 goals a season. Anyone with an ounce of movement/pace would rip them to shreds.

I'm personally not a big fan of Barker, great bloke, but IMO he's just an average NPC Centre Back.

That partnership would see us ship over 60 goals a season. Anyone with an ounce of movement/pace would rip them to shreds.

I'm personally not a big fan of Barker, great bloke, but IMO he's just an average NPC Centre Back.

Have to disagree there.

By the end of the season, Barker had learned how to play with his injury. He was putting MOTM performances in without being able to pivot or pass with his left foot. Incredible.

He's looked amazing at times, I've seen him have Andy Carroll in his back pocket. And he's not really been fit the whole time he's been here.

We haven't seen what they've seen in training.

I would put forward that he probably hasn't looked like Nani at Moor Farm this season.

who knows.

its very odd.

Archived