Millwall fans banned.......

uttoxram75

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes me laugh nowadays with the designer Danny Dyer violence. The spontaneous, sporadic fighting of the 70's was widespread, unpredictable and commonplace.

The organised gangs of the 80's and 90's were, in my own modest opinion, less brave than the young boys who travelled away in the 70's.

The so called hard men who write the hoolie- books now, have only ever gone to games with like minded blokes. They know they're safe as they are surrounded by other coke-heads ready to fight if the numbers suit.

In the 70's you went to away games at your own risk. There was no jibbing out or pretending you could'nt make the meet cause of the old bill. If you was there, you was a target. Whether that was 10 of you at Stoke or 10,000 at Forest, you just never knew what might happen.

I'm glad football violence has for the most part stopped. I mean what's the point? I have trouble understanding the whole 'it's match day lets have a mass brawl' thing.

Nowadays though it's shifted mainly to street gangs with guns and knives. What is it that makes people want to fight and have this pack mentality?

I had a couple of scraps at school (who didn't) but to me it got left in the playground.

Another thing I don't get - and that's segregation at matches. Football must be the only sport there is where both sets of fans are kept apart. I could be wrong but I can't think of one.

Look at rugby, you'll always see both sets of fans mingling before, during and after a game even though the dislike they have for the opposing team is real enough. The difference is they have respect for the game as a whole. I guess football is different somehow and it's a real shame.

It`s probably still there now but we don`t see it as we`re older??

I know alot of the sheff utd fans that are a part of the "firm". They say it only happens at the sheff derby and everyone wants to go to a pub till late at nite or just go home. Im guessing it depends on the result??

Surely someone else must know a few in firms?

I know alot of the sheff utd fans that are a part of the "firm". They say it only happens at the sheff derby and everyone wants to go to a pub till late at nite or just go home. Im guessing it depends on the result??

Surely someone else must know a few in firms?

I call 'Bullshit'.

I'm glad football violence has for the most part stopped. I mean what's the point? I have trouble understanding the whole 'it's match day lets have a mass brawl' thing.

Nowadays though it's shifted mainly to street gangs with guns and knives. What is it that makes people want to fight and have this pack mentality?

I had a couple of scraps at school (who didn't) but to me it got left in the playground.

Another thing I don't get - and that's segregation at matches. Football must be the only sport there is where both sets of fans are kept apart. I could be wrong but I can't think of one.

Look at rugby, you'll always see both sets of fans mingling before, during and after a game even though the dislike they have for the opposing team is real enough. The difference is they have respect for the game as a whole. I guess football is different somehow and it's a real shame.

Would never work at football and i wouldnt want it to.

Yer it is a poor mans american football.

TBF to the rugby lads they do it without all the helmets and protective gear. Rugby is a real mans sport and we'd do well to incoporate some aspects of it into football. As for football fans sitting together. I'd rather not thanks. I'd stop going. Helps create an atmosphere with support being sectioned. The "who are ya" chant to leeds, where would that have been aimed? The bloke next to you? Saying that I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in my lifetime, the next step to taking the game away from your average working bloke, the lifeblood.

Just to go back to Millwall fans, i've seen the picture of them with the flags and shirts and there's more than 4 of them doing it. If you're going to ban 4 why weren't all of them banned?

Bit sick, but it happens and it wound the Leeds fans up - Millwall fans just doing their job.

Personally I think mocking deaths is too far (Hillsborough, Munich, Cloughie, Shankley and fans) but I don't see why fans should be banned for it - soon enough if you shout "You fat b*****d" to an opposition porker you'll be arrested and sent to jail for 40 years for discrimination or inciting hate against fat people.

Blokes in the South West today got thrown out for w****r signs and flicking the V's to a bloke in the Burnley end. Pathetic that is.

When did I say I played the anything? I watched chicago bears loads and it more entertaining and they get better support.

When i asked if you`d ever played and you said yes.And it will be better supported as its the Americans biggest sport,anyways back to school soon eh :rolleyes:

I can't speak for trig cos' I don't know him but i can speak for the era I grew up in. As a teenager in the 70's there was no taboo chants, anything went.

Whether it was the anonymity of the terraces or just the violent culture of the time I don't know, but all was fair.

If you've ever been attacked by a policeman for singing "Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend, Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers" then you'll know what I mean!

As trig said, we sang about John Robertson's brother dying, Liverpool used to sing Munich songs until Heysel and Hillsborough, Leeds always did the aeroplane gestures at Man U fans until the two lads were killed in Turkey.

I hate Millwall with a vengeance but what they did to Leeds fans to elicit a response is nothing that has'nt been done over the last 40 years.

I guess from the response to this thread the average football fan has changed (probably for the better), since the bad old, good old days of the 70's. It was a different world then, but Millwall celebrating English football fans being killed would not have surprised anyone in those days.

In fact, getting away from Cold Blow Lane alive, even after the play off game as late as 1994, was considered a decent achievement at the time.

Its easy to look at Trig's post as a bit neanderthal in todays PC world (? :D), but believe me, thats how it was back in the day.

Wasn't it the New Den, actually Ralph?

Good post by the way, spot on.

When i asked if you`d ever played and you said yes.And it will be better supported as its the Americans biggest sport,anyways back to school soon eh :rolleyes:

you said played or watched. I've watched it loads. Don't assume cause when you get it wrong its embarrasing for both of us.

and knowing the answer to that, will it make you sleep better?

or are you just trying to goade trig?????

Nah, Just clearly discouraged by FIFA and the FA. And I'd rate chants/demos about peoples unjustified death as equal and should also be discouraged.

Think we're both just going to have to agree to disagree on this matter tho as it seems we're both sitting on opposite sides of the fence.

Archived