Weve had some good players from Notts

Curtains

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Notts with love...

Dean Yates: Huddersfield away...boxing day...1-0....Ronnie Willems...we are top of the league, we are top of the league....

Stopped at tthe services on the way home, having a big fat burger to soak up the alcohol and in walks Dean Yates, sat next to us and chatted about the match, saying he often travelled to away games in his car on his own..! Really nice bloke...and could he put away the burgers..!

Craig Short: Remember when he signed for us and he had a massive burn mark on his face because he had been ironing his shirt for the press conference and tested the heat of the iron on his cheek.!

Tommy Johnson: Drunken night out after some game in London, 3 of us all decided that we would pick a name of a Derby player to name our kids after...I picked Archie (who is now 9)....one of the lads picked Charlie (he is now 7)and the youngest of the trio picked Tommy......and he was born two weeks ago..

Thanks for the memories Notts....keep those great players coming our way.....and like someone has already said......we built your ground for you...we built your ground for you....

I remember another one from Notts County,Don Roby in the 1960's:confused: He played a few games and did quite well.

I'd never apologise for bringing this up again-one of the most interesting pieces I've read on an era I remember with fondness:-

http://www.bygonederbyshire.co.uk/stories/Derby-County-Era-canny-signings-little-success/article-1784555-detail/article.html

Not much on Roby,I'm afraid,but a feast of other goodies.Never realised that Andrew Ward was involved with the book (am assuming it's Tim's son).Went to school at the same time as Andy-very good cricketer and remember him carting the 'masters' bowling to all points in an annual 'masters v boys' match.Who knows,Andy may be posting on a forum somewhere.

Really loved that piece brought it all flooding back and Brian Clough was so

lucky that Tim Ward left him with the legacy of Zac.

...not forgetting Webster and Durban.

...not forgetting Webster and Durban.

... and Colin Boulton, Peter Daniel and a few others.

Tim Ward was a Derby legend, lived in a big house not far from my Great Aunt in Shelton Lock/Chellaston and was a great former England player and a good chap all round.

I remember Paul Hooks but strangely can't remember if he was any good - was it in the turd division days?

he was alright? ish

seemed to disappear without trace in the end

Archived