Ian Holloway - I'll quit if I'm fined

Day

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has reiterated his threat to resign if his club are fined for fielding a weakened side in the 3-2 defeat by Aston Villa.

Holloway said he was "deadly serious" when he vowed after the game to "pack it in" if he was punished.

The Seasiders boss made 10 changes to the side that had drawn 2-2 against Everton at Bloomfield Road on Saturday.

A similar move by Mick McCarthy last season resulted in Wolves getting a suspended £25,000 Premier League fine.

The Premier League is understood to be investigating Holloway's decision, but the Blackpool manager added: "We deserved at least a point and how dare anybody tell me the players I've been working with, I can't treat them with respect and give them a chance.

"I'm manager of Blackpool and I manage the players how I want. If some bright spark from the Premier League wants to tell me who I can pick then come and have a cup of coffee and you'll probably get it chucked in your lap.

"Let them try and fine me, it's an absolute disgrace. I'll show the Premier League. We were a credit to football, and let the Premier League try to tell me otherwise."

Speaking after the match at Villa Park on Wednesday, Holloway had admitted that making such wholesale changes may have looked like a "crazy" move.

But Holloway said his hand was forced by the busy Premier League calendar.

"We've got four games in 12 days and the lads I've played every week are struggling to keep up the level," he stated.

With regulars like Charlie Adam, Stephen Crainey and Matt Gilks left out, Holloway gave six players their first Premier League start in a line-up which had 12 top-flight starts between them.

"I picked a team that I spent a lot of money on," Holloway added. "The right-back (Chris Basham) cost me £1m. The Israeli centre-half (Dekel Keinan) is an international. Jason Euell was my captain last year. Ludovic Sylvestre, I paid £600,000 for him.

"We've got more points (14) than any of you people ever thought we would get. If you talk about the game, we earned at least a point.

"How dare anyone tell me the players I've been working with, I can't give them a chance. Tonight they have enhanced their reputation."

Despite his decision to pick a largely second-string side, Blackpool almost left Villa Park with a point after a lively display.

Marlon Harewood and DJ Campbell both scored to cancel out goals from Stewart Downing and Nathan Delfouneso but Villa defender James Collins headed a late winner to deny the Seasiders at the death.

Holloway said he was disappointed not to get at least a point from the match but he was proud of the players he had brought in.

He added: "That was a test for us and our strength in depth and a test for the ones who haven't played and I'm bursting with pride because they were fantastic.

"I felt their performance more than at least deserved a point. The whole club has been represented magnificently today."

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier was impressed by Blackpool's fearless display.

"When I saw their team line-up I was extremely worried," said the Frenchman. "They had nothing to lose and they threw everything at us.

"Holloway deserves great credit for what he's doing. They throw everything offensively and make the game spectacular. I hope they stay up."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/9178229.stm

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is rotating his squad at a busy period, I don't see a the problem with it myself

on a serious note, rafa benitez rotated like this constantly when liverpool manager. don't see the difference really other than this is doing it in one go. also, isn't it a bit unfair to judge the squad as 'weaker'?

I think there's three issues here :

1) Wolves got fined / "blasted" for it last year

I think it was the outrage of the fans as much as anything with media fanning-of-flames, obviously.

2) It cheats the fans - difficult one

The fans want to see their team have a go at the big boys but obviously also want to see them in the Prem next year. I think given that they gave it a good go, the fans will be ok about it

3) It's not in the spirit of the game

Again, a difficult one. As someone said, Manure and Liver-usedtobegoodnowthey'rerubbish-pool rotate an awful lot depending on the opposition. Obviously their youngsters are exciting, etc but it's all relative.

I think the PL handled the Wolves one badly and are now in an awkward situation.

Holloway reverted back to his usual starting 11 for Saturday’s 0-0 draw at West Ham United and admits he ring the changes again if his team needs it:

"I should be able to do it whenever I want. Before Christmas we have got three games in seven days,†he told reporters.

"We are finding that there is the physical side of it, but there is also the mental pressure of it, just dealing with missing a chance.

"Luckily we are out of the bottom three; otherwise the pressure would be even more immense. I want to keep that pressure off my lads."

Despite admitting that he needed to calm down and be more serious, Holloway states he will always defend his team even if that means getting himself in trouble.

"I am delighted to be at this level and we are playing some brilliant stuff. I don't want my lads ridiculed, I take it personally," he added.

"It is very easy to ignore how we are playing the game and write about other things. I have got to learn. I should be calm at all times.

"I didn't feel my lads deserved the stick they got [after the Villa game] and I took it as an insult. I should have said things calmly."

The Premier League restricts clubs to a 25 man first team squad which has to be named by the end of August, at which point it is fixed until January. It's part of the manager's job to choose from that squad for each game played. As long as Holloway (or any other manager) picks from that 25 man squad for each match, then I really don't see why the PL should have any grounds for complaint.

It's not the only difference. The 25 man squad is a new rule this year. Previously, a manager could pick from his reserve or youth squads for a first team match, which of course could potentially lead to some abuse of "squad rotation", but he can't do that anymore. So surely as long as a manager picks from his previously submitted 25 man squad then the shouldn't ever be at risk of sanction - otherwise what's the point of naming the 25 man squad?

he is talking to the media too much now.he is enjoying his own publicity

Exactly right Dangerous, the man was once upon a time, a refreshing change from all the plop generally dished out by managers, but he now seems like he is enjoying the attention too much and is starting to say things just for the extra attention....a bit like the ginger haired Strachan used to do.

For me he is an average manager, with a well below average club, I hope they get relegated too.....oh, but thanks so much for beating those dogs last year..

Exactly right Dangerous, the man was once upon a time, a refreshing change from all the plop generally dished out by managers, but he now seems like he is enjoying the attention too much and is starting to say things just for the extra attention....a bit like the ginger haired Strachan used to do.

For me he is an average manager, with a well below average club, I hope they get relegated too.....oh, but thanks so much for beating those dogs last year..

You wouldn't find David Beckham doing all that

Maybe he's talking to the media too much because the Premier League demands it? Every week we see what managers have to say on many things, along with their usual Friday pre-match interviews, but we don't see managers below the Premiership unless its a story or local news etc.

Personally I think Holloway is spot on with what he's saying, and the Premier League are just taking the mick with all these rules now!

Archived