Academy Thread 2024/2025

It's a big boost to have Rooney back. Woth the depth in the first team, we may see him on a semi regular basis for the U21s if he stays free from injury. Bardell also returns to the starting lineup and JThompson is back in the squad. Overall, I don't think we'll have a stronger U21 matchday squad than this all season.

Price

Bardell   Osayande   KRobinson   Gill

Rooney   LThompson

Barkhuizen   Stepien-Iwumene   Allen

DBrown

4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

How is that not a penalty? He'd have been on the whistle before any contact if it was Aldershot. Awful ref.

Looked like a shove in the back, but my attention has started to wonder a tad and we didn't get a replay. The ref is apparently a bit of a rising star. Struggling to see it myself.

21 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Looked like a shove in the back, but my attention has started to wonder a tad and we didn't get a replay. The ref is apparently a bit of a rising star. Struggling to see it myself.

It’s Paul Durkin’s son. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think Hawkins has been the first player to attempt a through ball to DBrown on the ball. We need more of those if we're to get the most out of Brown, rather than the pointless long balls into him

He's the beating of their CBs if we can get the call in behind for once. They're slower than molasses.

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

We have the cutting edge of a butter knife 😔

We lack wingers in the U21 squad. As a result, we either use wing backs there (Moloney/Perry), or stick a CM out there (Allen, McAndrew, Spencer).

I think we looked better once we had Hawkins and Allen in central areas, as they both look for that forward pass into our strikers as every opportunity.

Tbh, we'd probably be better off switching to a 352/3412 since we don't have any wingers, and have plenty of CMs and CBs. It would give us a more solid defence to build off too. Something like this:

JThompson

Osayande   KRobinson   Cox

Perry   Turley   Hawkins   Gill

Allen

Ebuka   Wheeldon