Dani Alves, sentenced to 4 years 6 months in jail

Day

48 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Got off lightly , imo

I can't say for sure, but I imagine the fact he's paid compensation may have resulted in a lower sentence. That's something that the Spanish system allows for. But I agree, four and a half years for that sort of crime, especially when he's repeatedly lied about it and shown no remorse, feels too low. At least he's been convicted, though.

I really hope he's guilty. I'd hate for this to be some sort of example being dished out to a Egotistical Superstar! However is it too lenient.

I know of someone who got two years for celebrating a Big Win on the horses by running along the bar slapping everyone's bum! Now a registered sex-offender who spent 2 years at her majesty's pleasure. 

If he's guilty, glad he's not got away with it. I'm still confused by the Mendy and Greenwood situations.

3 hours ago, JfR said:

I can't say for sure, but I imagine the fact he's paid compensation may have resulted in a lower sentence. That's something that the Spanish system allows for. But I agree, four and a half years for that sort of crime, especially when he's repeatedly lied about it and shown no remorse, feels too low. At least he's been convicted, though.

Just out of curiosity, I thought I look up average sentences for this offence. Apparently they range from 4 to 19 on average (in the UK). 

Things that would push the sentence to the higher end of that scale would be factors like previous offences, use of a weapon, drugging the victim, giving them an STD, pre-meditation, entering their home, abduction, violence or threats of violence, vulnerability of the victim and more.

Not trying to comment on the rights or wrongs of that sentence, just providing some explanation of what judges take into account. 

4 hours ago, JfR said:

Brazilian outlets are now reporting that it was Neymar that covered the compensation bill, not Alves, so I don't see how that should count in his favour at all.

On 22/02/2024 at 09:24, David said:

Dani Alves trial: Ex-Brazil player guilty of nightclub rape

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68368372

This as a thread for discussion is possibly a recipe for disaster. 

Either you shake your head and say he should have got longer... or some may start to speculate about the circumstances etc.

At best he's a completely deplorable drunken menace at worst an extremely dangerous sexual predator. 

Plenty of lives ruined, and imo the fact he tried 'to pay her off' shouldn't go in his favour.