A dilemma

Perky1106

Imagine:

You play for Derby County and earn the tidy some of £10,000 p/w. The fans love you and you love the club, because you are a fan.

But ...

It's nearing the end of the contract at Derby. You're not sure if you're going to get another contract.

Nottingham Forest are keen to sign you on a three year contract worth £20,000 p/w. Would you join Forest?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight from Derby? No. However, if I'd been without a club for a while and had commitments to keep and dependents to support then I'd have to consider any job offer, even that one.

But going to Forest even for twice the money? No. If Forest were preprared to pay 2x wages then I'd imagine someone else would too.

I've thought of this before, and I would do it. As you only have one life, and this is business. You don't have to enjoy playing for them, only pretend.

When you get boo'd on your return, this would help you perform better I would expect. Look at the reaction from Commons after getting the winner at the city ground. He said he was getting loads and that reaction would have been different had he not been given the sick abuse about his family stuff that he got.

Hulse's goal at Leeds was a good reaction of respect for a former team. But, having said that, he didn't leave to go and play for Manu.

Imagine:

You play for Derby County and earn the tidy some of £10,000 p/w. The fans love you and you love the club, because you are a fan.

But ...

It's nearing the end of the contract at Derby. You're not sure if you're going to get another contract.

Nottingham Forest are keen to sign you on a three year contract worth £20,000 p/w. Would you join Forest?

In a heartbeat, and don't kid yourself that every player in the world wouldn't do the same.

Today's footballers have mostly been with a club from the age of 12 or younger. By the time they are trying to get in the first team they have more of a professional attitude to football than a fans view - so yes, you would do what's best for you (and your agent) at that time.

Although, if you had a choice of another club offering summat similar.........

I think it's more topical to hypothesize...

Say you were a professional footballer who earns the princely sum on £20,000 a week. You're nearing the end of your contract with a team you've been with for just under three years. The fans love you, you claim to love them and a great deal of the teams style of play revolves around your abilities. The problem is, despite the fact they have a promising young manager and could well play in a higher division during the next 2/3 years they're tight @rses and will only allow you to continue playing for them on roughly half of what you're earning on your present contract. With that kind of deal on the table, would you sign it or play out the last six months on your current contract knowing someone will match your present salary or even give you more???

i can honestly say I wouldn't

Which option??? Re-sign or go else where???

let's not forget an average professional footballer will only have roughly 10 years playing time at which point they'll leave the game so it's important to them to earn as much as they can while they are able to...

Which option??? Re-sign or go else where???

let's not forget an average professional footballer will only have roughly 10 years playing time at which point they'll leave the game so it's important to them to earn as much as they can while they are able to...

go elsewhere but as MuespachRam put it i'm only speaking as a fan I'm sure if the boot were on the other foot so to speak it would be a very difficult decision to make

Imagine:

But ...

I'd stay at Derby until I was either offered a new contract or released.

When released i'd play anywhere, i'd choose where I wanted to play over what wages I could get.

I suppose my friends are round here etc so I wouldn't be bothered about playing for Forest at all.

[sIZE=3]Can remember when I was very young and Torquay would always finish bottom of the league, people at school use to ask would you ever play for them? [/sIZE]

[sIZE=3] [/sIZE]

[sIZE=3]Of course I bloody would I would play for anyone who wanted me at the highest level possible!! [/sIZE]

[sIZE=3] [/sIZE]

[sIZE=3]If I was in this situation I would proberly get my agent to release a story stating I would be happy to join Forest if Derby didn’t offer me a new deal, this would hopefully get a reaction from the board and fans and I would be offered a new deal. Worse case scenario would be Derby don’t offer me a new deal and another club does if Florest were willing to offer me that sort of money I’m sure there would be other clubs willing to as well![/sIZE]

[sIZE=3] [/sIZE]

[sIZE=3]In all fairness I would rather play for Florest then say Leeds, Cardiff and Millwall……[/sIZE]

[sIZE=3] [/sIZE]

Imagine:

But ...

Definitely Yes without hesitation.

I would go and join Forest. Football is a professional game and they'd be offering me double the money. I'd have to sell my nice house in Duffield though. :D:D

The person who was saying your attitude changes from a fan to a professional (or something on those lines) was very true.

no, not straight from derby, id hate to be hated by the fans if i did that!

but also id consider the footbal rather than the wages, if a huffball club came in id definaty say no.

if i was a pro i would definatly not rue out playing for them, but i would drop my wages to stay at the rams

In all honesty i'd stay at Derby. If it was this season, and i was an important player obviously i'd want to stay here. I'd take many things into account, the future of the squad and DCFC as a whole.

I can see us reaching the Premiership in the next 2 - 3 years, so i'd sign a 3 year contract regardless of a wage cut or not. I'm already a rich man (having played professionally for say, 10 years) and i can invest in my future wherever that may be. I already have a nice house, car, beautiful wife and 2 kids. All the time in the world to care for my family and educate myself etc..

I would never join Forest, regardless of the wage on offer. DCFC runs in the family, i wouldn't even contemplate the big teams.

If i was really integral, Derbys future would be that important to me. I'd want to play in the Premiership with them.

Without doubt!

Archived