The 2024 Motorsports Thread

59 minutes ago, davenportram said:

The whole of F1 - including the non Horner factions of Red Bull are going to turn against Max pretty soon

I'm not even sure Horner is that in love with him these days after Helmet Marko and Jos revised Max's contract to say if Marko left then Max could leave, without telling Karen, in the middle of the horney horner stuff back at the start of the year. Jos is apparently the one agitating the mercedes move.

I think a Max Verstappen flounce out would be the most hilarious thing that could happen to F1 right now. "WE need you to stop being childish on the radio Max, you can't just overtake off the track" "I was ahead" "No. you weren't." "I'm going to mercedes then! Toto knows how to give into my dad's every demand!"

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

The whole of F1 - including the non Horner factions of Red Bull are going to turn against Max pretty soon

His ranting and raging in the car that we are all expected to understand because of the "honest and open great relationship Max has with his engineer" was not even the worst bit. 

That interview with Sky... 

A chance to apologise or smooth it over and he doubled down. "If you don't like it stay at home". 

I bet the 3 wise men can't see a problem with it. It's just Max being Max. It's just his way. He has a very close and honest relationship with everybody who's working their arses off to give him an incredible car. 

I'm sure they are all free to swear at him and beat him up for his errors...

I’m going to say this here and now 

that will be the last time Norris is told to  let Piastri past. In fact I reckon Norris will be given wins by the team for these reasons

1) 11 races left - Norris wins all 11 he’s world champion. Simple as that. With McLaren now dominant it’s possible.

2) Norris winning will make them double world champions 

3) they want Newey (pure speculation) because he can read new regulations better than anyone else 

I reckon Piastri was promised 1 win and this will be it unless Norris is in front of Verstappen before the final race. 

Hot on the heals of the hungry gp, it's the Belgium grand Prix from Spa.

There's a suggestion Verstappen will take a penalty to replace engine components as this is one of the tracks he'll make up positions easily.

Hopefully the strong form of McLaren continues but I fear the high speed corners will flatter their car less and red bull more.

Also very likely Perez's last race for red bull, either being swapped with Danny Washardo or booted for Liam Lawson. It's a sad end for Checo, but, F1 is a big boy game and he's not been doing enough and the pattern repeats every season.

I still preferred Spa being at the end of the summer along with Monza but hopefully it's not ruined by rain.

I get that until McLaren consistently won on tracks with high speed corners that doubt will remain

BUT 

The McLaren is the fastest car out there,  

Mclaren for me are winning both titles - I’ve been saying that since Miami and I have no reason to change my mind.

the only thing that Lamdo needs to do is work out how to turn a pole position into leading into turn 1

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Merc coming in with upgrades and racing in the cool weather, if Max gets a penalty, George and Lewis will push Lando this weekend I feel. 

I don't think Lando can win a driver's title. I just don't think he's consistent enough at the big moments in races. Maybe that'll change. 

He’s got a strong team, Oscar and Lando in theory can both catch max. 

whether it’s Lando or Oscar to be world champion is the teams call. they’re probably thinking the same as you. Go for 1-2 every race and then see who’s in front with three to go and team orders. Take over I reckon.

the ideal situation going into the last race would be McLaren sealed the constructors with both Oscar and Lando with a chance for title. Team orders removed except just don’t crash. Let them race for the title

43 minutes ago, davenportram said:

He’s got a strong team, Oscar and Lando in theory can both catch max. 

whether it’s Lando or Oscar to be world champion is the teams call. they’re probably thinking the same as you. Go for 1-2 every race and then see who’s in front with three to go and team orders. Take over I reckon.

the ideal situation going into the last race would be McLaren sealed the constructors with both Oscar and Lando with a chance for title. Team orders removed except just don’t crash. Let them race for the title

The reason why I think Max still wins the drivers, is that yes McLaren will have the team advantage, but I just don't think the drivers are at the level to win. 

Max or Lewis in that McLaren would be likely winning every race. Lando has only won once, I know he got a bit unlucky at Austria, but he made the wrong call at Silverstone. 

It also plays into Max's hands with the "yield or we crash" as the McLaren's can't afford to drop any points if they want to beat him really. 

9 hours ago, inter politics said:

The majority of the best drivers when they were young were terrible losers and incredibly single-minded. Senna, Lewis, Alonso, Max, Schumacher, Vettel and so many more. Love or hate, it's part of why they have that edge.

True, I'd say there's nobody around Max to ever encourage him to grow up though. No PR to make him keep his tantrums limited to team radio and behind closed doors. No discipline so that he isn't ranting and raging at his team in plain sight. No growing up so that he sees the hypocrisy. He doubles down whenever given the chance to gloss over or apologise. 

There's other young drivers on this same grid that can collect themselves to be more diplomatic. 

He's a great driver and his meltdowns add to the fun. He does embarrass himself though and all the 3 wise men do is fight over who gets to appease him. For his own sake more than ours he should be managing his tantrums a lot better. 

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Probably be a few take new engines this race, it's a chance to get an extra unit into the rotation at a track where fast cars will make up positions easily. Except for Perez, obviously.

Plus it gives Verstappen an easy get out when he doesn’t win: hope he tries to throw one down the inside against Alonso

5 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Plus it gives Verstappen an easy get out when he doesn’t win: hope he tries to throw one down the inside against Alonso

I think the back of the grid is a ripe place for him to get a turn 1 taking out. I'd love it to be Yuki in revenge for never being offered the "if you can kill Checo you can have his drive" deal.