The 2024 Motorsports Thread

Get in there Lewis!

Properly good race. Shame Georgey boy had to retire, but hey ho, i'm not george russell, so i'm not that bothered.

Lando/Mclaren let another 1 go by blinking at crunch time - Hopefully they're learning but it just feels like as a whole they're at competing for race wins and not at campaigning for championships yet, hopefully next year they're on it.

Max/Red Bull - Whatever misgivings I have about some aspects of Max's driving, you've got to respect his talent, and, the pheominal strategy team at red bull, bagging P2 in the 3rd fastest car is a hell of a result, but, everyone who's not dutch, lets rejoyce that the red bull was the 3rd fastest car. Surely they've got to put checo out his misery after this one...although, yet again, Danny ric is floundering after the Yukster who red bull have deided can never ever be allowed a red bull....

Ferrari, a meh weekend, Sainz got what he could, but horrible for Leclerc, like "is he in a race with checo now?" level of horrible.

Great result for Hulkenberg/Haas, it's almost like binning off Gunther was what the team actually needed, behaving like a midfield F1 team again and not a bunch of jokers.

Aston, better than they have been, stroll ahead of fernando again, i feel like grumpy fernando must be looming over the horizin at this point.

Alex Albon gets my lower order shout out because any point for Williams is a cause for celebration.

Yuki gets the final point and is still making it hard to believe in Danny Ricciardo.

But mostly, it's a day for Lewis Hamilton. Hopefully, that's something of a weight lifted and he gets back to himself over the rest of the season befire he heads to Italy.

Get in! Amazing win for Lewis. He managed his tyres brilliantly at the end in classic fashion, so delighted for him to have his 9th win at Silverstone.

Fantastic race, a lot of overtakes and changing weather conditions to make it interesting. 

Bit of a shame for George, he was driving fantastically again until his car failed on him, he could well have gotten a podium in different circumstances. 

Best race of the season. The cars seem to have closed up and the racing is really benefitting. 

Great drive by Lewis. 

And I know we don't like to admit it on here.... Great drive by Max too. For once he wasn't guaranteed even a podium and at one point he looked all at sea. 

Lando not so perfect. 

One thing I didn't understand was why Piastri closed up on Norris with rain incoming within a few laps? Why not create a gap to double stack? 

Great work for Leclerc and Perez. Especially Leclerc who looked like he might push on. Got them on the Inters in the dry and made sure they were lapped by teammates 

Wow, who knew? Properly entertaining racing is possible where drivers swap places occasionally (helped somewhat by weather too obviously). George will be gutted and Lando knows that could have been so much better but great driving and race craft by Lewis to bring it home. Max got a less than cooperative Red Bull right in there and when he breezed past Lando I was fearing the worst.

Anyway, as they say.. "Get in there Lewis!"

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Also a word on Checo - he's just a bit rubbish isn't he? I don't see how they can continue on with him. He's at the stage where he is a genuine candidate for the worst driver on the grid. 

It's like he's hit some mental slump that he can't get over. I'd love a proper documentary on RB to see how they work and if it's as one sided as I suspect

He's struggled with the upgrades every season at red bull by usually got the hang of them by the end of the season but he's lost so much by then it's really not excusable. In some ways his clinging on at red bull is admirable because we've seen plenty of others just disintegrated and it looks like Checo is heading that way for good this season.

But the *wholesome supportive family environment* of red bull racing, with that family happening to be Jos and bad uncle Marko, I suspect the environment is probably not the most helpful.

Ultimately,Perez has a lack of other options to thank for being at red bull this year and it's only Danny Ric's own struggling that's keeping them from swapping those two round anyway.

I admired Perez for a lot of his career,but I think he should go do something else after this season, he'll never get a good F1 seat again and clinging on round back of grid teams because of sponsorship would be a sad end to a career that should be remembered as a pretty decent midfield F1 driver who got a shot, won some races but was no Max Verstappen.

Do some WEC races, chill with your family, enjoy being rich and an icon in Mexico. 

Checo's got his new contract and checked out. I swear he's just trolling Horner, Marko and the remaining Red Bull shitterati now. They didn't want competition for Max and boy Checo's giving them some non-competitive bang for their buck. He's now just bimbling through each quali and race, shunting anything that gets near him and chuckling away to himself with his comms on mute while he dreams of his new life in the Yucatan come 2026.

Encantadora jubbly!

• 2 weeks later...

JFC Checo, ain't no amount of compromising pictures of little Horner going to save your job now dude.

All the return of Danny Washardo to see if he can do any worse.

Be more excited to see Liam Lawson back in torroalphavcarb though.

Top marks to McLaren! Lando P1 and Oscar P2, Max P3, Carlos P4 (I think ferrari are doing well out of his "need a drive next season performances"), Lewis P5, Leclerc (is not being golden boy anymore affecting him?) P6, Fernando P7, Baby Stroll P8, Danny "gets the red bull drive" Washardo P9 Yuki "not like that" Tsunoda P10.

Perez P16, Geogey boy P17 (oops)

Oooh it's gerrin' good

The way last season finished and this one started I don't think anyone would have predicted this! 

Adrian Newey has to allow himself a little chuckle. 

39 minutes ago, Alph said:

Oooh it's gerrin' good

The way last season finished and this one started I don't think anyone would have predicted this! 

Adrian Newey has to allow himself a little chuckle. 

Wonder if he’s slipping ideas to his new team already?

16 minutes ago, davenportram said:

If he is I’d be worrried for them it doesn’t seem to be working 

which teams have improved since it was announced he was leaving RB

He's still being coy about what he's doing next (although I'm sure McLaren would have asked like everyone else has and with Ron Dennis no longer there it might help), but I'm pretty sure his gardening leave from red bull racing has some spikey iron fencing aboud it, I'd be surprised if he was activly involving himself in any teams this season - plus I think it'd be disservice to McLaren, who were on a great path from around the middle of last season (Zak fired the right guy!).

The other part with Newey is he's said he doesn't like the 26 regs at all, so he might just take himself off to do other projects again (more boats, or performance gliders or who knows what but I bet it'd be fascinating).

On 07/07/2024 at 21:09, Andicis said:

Also a word on Checo - he's just a bit rubbish isn't he? I don't see how they can continue on with him. He's at the stage where he is a genuine candidate for the worst driver on the grid. 

What were you saying? His parking was a a little bit untidy today but long may it continue.  RB have got what they deserve, they don’t want competition for man baby but they certainly have got some competition for the mechanics to rebuild the car.