The 2024 Motorsports Thread

Don’t read any further if you’ve still not watched the highlights yet…..

What looked to be a standard “Max has lead from start to finish” race never materialised thanks in the main to McLaren producing a cracking car and employing two young, quick and hungry drivers. Would have loved to see if Lando could have pulled out a big enough lead if he had got past but it wasn’t to be - but well done to George and Merc for being competitive enough to be there to pick up the pieces…

As for the immature muppet known as Max, the bloke simply can’t deal with pressure - arguably the most talented driver out there, he reverts to type as soon as things stop going his way or another driver dares to challenge him - constantly moaning if his car isn’t perfect and eventually resulting in him driving into the McLaren to stop Lando getting past.

I can’t help thinking that his behaviour might be improved if the authorities treated him the same way they do everyone else - he’s 15 minutes late for a pre-match briefing, no action - he drives slow in qualifying, no action - he moves multiple times during braking every time Landing tried to get past, no action - eventually causes a collision, gets a meaningless 10 second penalty - deliberately blocked Lando after the crash - no action - and then Karen defends him and claims the crash was Lando’s fault. I think we can all now see why they re-signed Checo - can’t have a number two driver that might actually put the man-baby under pressure - Red Bull know the tantrums he’d throw….

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The idea that Max matured since 21 is just wishful thinking. He just hasn't had any car to race against in a while. Yesterday was a throwback to the petulance we saw regularly when he was racing Lewis. 

This. I'd hoped for better but no, soon as he's in a race he's back to his old intensely dislikeable self.

6 hours ago, Gaspode said:

can’t have a number two driver that might actually put the man-baby under pressure - Red Bull know the tantrums he’d throw….

Karen hasn't got the balls to sign Sainz and tell Max deal with it. Carlos Sainz the best available driver doesn't get the gig because he stood up to Joz and Max at torro rosso. And I loved Carlos Sainz sr, he was a great rally driver.

23 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

This. I'd hoped for better but no, soon as he's in a race he's back to his old intensely dislikeable self.

Karen hasn't got the balls to sign Sainz and tell Max deal with it. Carlos Sainz the best available driver doesn't get the gig because he stood up to Joz and Max at torro rosso. And I loved Carlos Sainz sr, he was a great rally driver.

I hope Lando fights Max at his own game for the rest of the season, Max benefits so much from drivers being forced to yield so he doesn't cause a crash. 

It's exciting seeing the McLaren being a legitimate contender to the Red Bull, hopefully that incident creates the required needle for the rest of the season.

Verstappen is definitely a dick, but the more I see and hear of his old man, the more I'm reminded that when your dad's a complete tool, it's not easy. I actually feel sorry for Max in some regards. Jos really is a grim piece of kit.

As for the racing, well it was a proper dick move that ended the contest. Lando wins that race in any other universe, so it just felt like a 'don't concede points' type of shitty manoeuvre. Karen, of course defends it, blaming Norris and I continue thinking that RBR are pretty much the most low-rent collective I've ever seen on the grid. The fact that MV extended his lead as a benefit of his punishment is the rancid cherry on a maggot infested cake.

Of course there is a flipside; now Lando is pissed and a pissed off Lando might be all Max can handle and some. FWIW, I think Lando is significantly quicker than Russell and Hammy seems to only bother racing when they get the car 100% to his liking, but even just a shoot out between Norris and the mardy Belgian is seriously appetising after the fare of the last 2 years. 

Why did Norris seem so surprised? Was he asleep when it was Verstappen v Hamilton and both would happily eat dirt just to let you know that overtaking is a bad idea? 

If he wants to be a World Champion against Max then he's going to have a lot more days like this. Maybe just be a nice runner up like Perez or set hot laps like Leclerc. Even softy Sainz knows that you risk it all Vs Verstappen. 

Having said that, I thought Lando did do a couple of naughty dive bombs. Especially in the sprint race. That was a long way back. 

I love a rattled Verstappen. Like @Andicis says, he never matured. Easy to be humble when your teammate is happy towing a caravan and your nearest rival doesn't know if his car is even capable of a podium half the time.

Go on Lando. Show him zero respect and then you're on a level playing field.

8 minutes ago, Alph said:

Why did Norris seem so surprised? Was he asleep when it was Verstappen v Hamilton and both would happily eat dirt just to let you know that overtaking is a bad idea? 

Yeah, I think Lando's probably the other driver on the grid that doesn't hate Verstappen, so perhaps he thought Max would be nice back. Of course, that's a flawed strategy, so I think the only thing left to do is give it the full beans into every corner and see how many hissy fits he can induce. Max is firmly in the headlights now and everyone loves Lando, so it's going to be interesting for sure, now the gloves are fully off. They won't allow MV the same latitude they did against Hamilton.

You can't race Verstappen without being willing to get your elbows out and being prepared to get them bruised. As Lewis knows from when Max parked it on top of his car in Monza.

Lando is a good driver, but up to now he's never shown that side. 

The sport is begging for a title race, or at least some proper racing at the front so I sincerely hope he is prepared to do so and McLaren have some upgrades for him.