Fostering

Day

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I presume you're IFA not local authority. Local authority pay is half or less than agency pay. Unfortunately David, if you are with LA it doesn't go up. 

We’re fine with that, I mean we knew we would be entitled to something, never thought it would be that much. 

Wasn’t a career move for us unlike @sage, covers the running costs if you like.

Hi David, sorry I'm late to the party with this one.

When we took our three Grandkids on in early 2022 our social worker was very much pushing us in the direction of fostering them. Due to our personal circumstances at the time (my cancer treatment including major surgery) this was impossible. 

If my memory serves me correct we had to write a letter to the local authority declining fostering. The social worker told us there was another way whereby the kids could remain with us. We had to attend court and an interim Child Arrangement Order was granted, allowing us time to apply for a Special Gardianship Order, which we were granted by the court in February 2023.

My wife gave up her full-time employment in May as, in our mid-fifties, looking after the kids and the household (and occasionally me) while working full-time was too much for her. 

We receive a weekly means-tested special gardianship allowance from the local authority, together with a monthly Universal Credit payment (in addition to my salary).

I doff my cap to anyone fostering or otherwise caring for others' children, it's not always beer and skittles, but it is highly rewarding.

@David Not much I can add in here by way of advice more than already has been given, but talking as a Dad first and a Lawyer second, stick with it. 

The process in this country is difficult and at times (being generous there) you will think the local authorities and the Court’s processes will seem outdated and excessive. Best advice I can give as a layperson is speak up if something doesn’t seem right or you have questions. You will find they are all helpful and have plenty of support resources but they very often will not utilise these unless prompted. 

It’s a strange concept, having the same care and emotion for a child when they are not your own but it’s obvious from where you are with it there is never a reason to doubt yourself. A child remembers a single kindness shown to them and can shape their future far beyond what any person would expect.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

@David Not much I can add in here by way of advice more than already has been given, but talking as a Dad first and a Lawyer second, stick with it. 

The process in this country is difficult and at times (being generous there) you will think the local authorities and the Court’s processes will seem outdated and excessive. Best advice I can give as a layperson is speak up if something doesn’t seem right or you have questions. You will find they are all helpful and have plenty of support resources but they very often will not utilise these unless prompted. 

It’s a strange concept, having the same care and emotion for a child when they are not your own but it’s obvious from where you are with it there is never a reason to doubt yourself. A child remembers a single kindness shown to them and can shape their future far beyond what any person would expect.

There's a lot of truth in this. It may be that everything is going fine and there's no issues, but maybe you will hit problems. Maybe the local authority will respond to your needs, maybe you'll feel unsupported. 

If you feel like the children aren't getting the support they deserve, look into requesting an advocate for them. Someone independent who will only focus on their best interests. If the advocate is on your side, the local authority will be hard pressed to ignore them.