Speed demons in a Rams shirt

TheHomunculusLives

Dave Langan - paid the price for it after he retired but as a player he ate up yards for fun. Same for Steve Buckley. TBH though, it's pretty hard to compare anyone who ran in that BBG mud with other players, Usain Bolt would have struggled to get motoring in that.

In 'that' season both Mears and Fagan were good off the blocks, if only that.

Gary Twigg was snappy as well 🤪

Edited by BaaLocks

Paul Emson was fast. Unfortunately, he rarely seemed to be in control of the ball. His charges up the wing would usually end with the ball winning the race to the corner flag. If he ever got a cross in then I can’t remember it.

Gordon Hughes was short and those little legs rapidly thumping up and down created an optical illusion which suggested great speed. In reality, he was no faster than many of our other wingers.

Terry Curran could be fast and I can remember him doing a Bale like trick where he ran off the pitch at the City Ground to get around a defender. But that was when he played for Forest with their extra space around the pitch. If he tried the same thing at the Baseball Ground he would have tumbled head first into the Pop Side terrace.

5 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Terry Curran

Ah an opportunity to retell my favourite Terry Curran story....

Charlie George, who could do no wrong and who was a magnificent passer of a football, played the ball out to the wing - but this time, it went sailing a few yards over Terry's head.

A voice in the crowd shouted out: "Bloody jump Curran".

9 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Paul Emson was fast

He had one move - kick the ball past the full back and beat him to it.

Once teams sussed him out and doubled up on him, he wasn't at all effective and his inability to accurately cross the ball was no longer tested.

But I'd say Emson and Colin Todd are the fastest I've seen in a Derby shirt.

On 13/10/2023 at 19:22, sage said:

Saunders does there what NML should have done at home  v Cambridge. Push it 20 yards ahead and outsprint defenders.

Saunders was smart. Knocks it ahead and clear of all the mud in the center on the pitch so no need to try and keep control of it over that then catches it up when the surface is better!