Inter v Spurs

Day

Sorry..I should have put...For your OWN team, the team you support...winning is everything, entertainment is definetly NOT.

If we won everything but played the dullest football possible, I wouldn't turn up.

And this Inter-Spurs thing, the reality of it has completely passed you by hasn't it.

Inter are Champions League Champions, they're at home, and they had a full side out.

Tottenham are a top six English team, missing a few of their better players, away from home.

Of course Inter were going to win. That says nothing about Harry Redknapp, infact it's probably good on him for the team talk at half time to get them to come out and play much better, including knicking 3 goals in the process.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly right....well, almost right, we should ONLY have the Champions of the league in the competetion, not the team that finished 4th..!!

I don't agree with that.

How many times has the CL been won by a side that hadn't won their domestic league the year before? I'd rather the team who're actually best NOW win rather than who was best last season.

The CL already has enough dead rubbers these days. Reducing it down to just the league winners would effectively make every match relatively meaningless until the likes of Inter, Barcelona and Chelsea started playing each other.

But on the other hand it would make the Europa League more exciting if clubs took the competition seriously.

Teams won't take the Europa League seriously until there's more money behind it.

Was it the other year where Rangers got through to the final and only made about £400k for their troubles?

They'll never dispense with the CL format now though as it was an appeasement to prevent a breakaway European superleague.

If they did make it just Champions only would it add value to the Europa league?

Say Chelsea, Inter, Barca won they're leagues that would leave clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, AC Milan, Real, Valencia, Roma etc. in the Europa.

Surely some of the money would drop down?

Like you say tho, guess it would never happen.

If they did make it just Champions only would it add value to the Europa league?

Say Chelsea, Inter, Barca won they're leagues that would leave clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, AC Milan, Real, Valencia, Roma etc. in the Europa.

Surely some of the money would drop down?

Like you say tho, guess it would never happen.

It probably would, however, as stated originally, being best last year doesn't necessarily equate to being best this year. If it did then the CL would always be won by one of the domestic league winners. As with any competition, the best team at the time of the tournament should win.

However, I'd guarantee you that should UEFA ever dissolve the league format and/or restrict the CL to just the winning club of each domestic league, then the consequence would be a breakaway superleague. At the moment the odds are stacked just enough so that it's not worth the bigger clubs walking away. Taking away CL berths would no doubt give them the incentive they needed to do just that.

It probably would, however, as stated originally, being best last year doesn't necessarily equate to being best this year. If it did then the CL would always be won by one of the domestic league winners. As with any competition, the best team at the time of the tournament should win.

However, I'd guarantee you that should UEFA ever dissolve the league format and/or restrict the CL to just the winning club of each domestic league, then the consequence would be a breakaway superleague. At the moment the odds are stacked just enough so that it's not worth the bigger clubs walking away. Taking away CL berths would no doubt give them the incentive they needed to do just that.

Are none of you even old enough to remember the European Cup..?

A proper competetion that meant if you lost 1 game you were out of it.

Of course it will never happen, it is currently the nearest thing they can get to their utopia of a European Super League.

The proper and correct format to the European cup, where just the champions of their league and the holders of the cup compete for it will never happen, but that just leads to teams like Spurs getting blasted offf the park and teams like Manchester United fielding a second string side.

The proper and correct format to the European cup, where just the champions of their league and the holders of the cup compete for it will never happen, but that just leads to teams like Spurs getting blasted offf the park and teams like Manchester United fielding a second string side.

Again though, Spurs routed the Dutch champions.

Man Utd would most likely field a second string for more matches if you went back to 'Champions Only' format. Games against anyone other than the Italian, Spanish and possibly German champions would most likely yield a weaker side.

Again though, Spurs routed the Dutch champions.

Man Utd would most likely field a second string for more matches if you went back to 'Champions Only' format. Games against anyone other than the Italian, Spanish and possibly German champions would most likely yield a weaker side.

I am not saying that the 3rd or 4th best team in England wouldn't beat the champions of Holland, but that doesn't make it right.

To win the European cup you should be Champions.

As for anyone fielding weakened teams, well, if they did they would run the risk of losing and consequently getting knocked out of the competetion...not like now when you can get to the final even after losing about 4 games..!

Technically you could get to the final even if you lost six games.

Re the weakened teams, yes, they would run that risk, but realistically, how many of our top 4 value the Premier League higher than the Champions League? They'd probably value it even moreso if it were just the champions that qualified, hence, come the end of the season, if you've got Man Utd vs Inter in midweek and then Man Utd vs Chelsea at the weekend, I wonder which game Man Utd would rather win.

The European Cup, for me at least, should be to determine the best team in Europe. To that end, the current format is a much better way of determining this.

Technically you could get to the final even if you lost six games.

Re the weakened teams, yes, they would run that risk, but realistically, how many of our top 4 value the Premier League higher than the Champions League? They'd probably value it even moreso if it were just the champions that qualified, hence, come the end of the season, if you've got Man Utd vs Inter in midweek and then Man Utd vs Chelsea at the weekend, I wonder which game Man Utd would rather win.

The European Cup, for me at least, should be to determine the best team in Europe. To that end, the current format is a much better way of determining this.

They ALL value the chumpions league higher than winning the league in their own country, because all they have to do is finish 4th and they have another season in Europe.

Am I right in thinking that only 1 team has won the new chumpions league in the new format without losing a game...? how can that be right.?

I doubt that Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal value the Champions League as highly as the Premier League. Man Utd and Liverpool certainly don't.

It wouldn't surprise me if that piece of trivia were true, but it depends on your definition of 'best' and how that's decided. Best team in England (and La Liga, Serie A etc) is determined via a league format where you can lose fewer games and still not win the league, otherwise the FA Cup winners would go forward into the CL.

No, I wouldn't. What would be the point? Football is something to watch and enjoy, if you watch dull football every week I wouldn't bother going.

I'd do something else, something i'd enjoy doing.

And I didn't go to Wembley, i'd already promised to see a friend that day before we made the final.

So, you missed out on arguably the biggest gam ein Derby County's history....? Well, i will give you a run down on it for you...it wasn't a great game, neither team played much football, but we scored 1 and they didn't, therefore we won a nice little trophy and promotion to the top division and all the rams fans went home very happy indeed...despite watching "dull football every week"......

So, you missed out on arguably the biggest gam ein Derby County's history....?

A bit melodramatic considering that we've won league titles and the FA Cup ;)

we won a nice little trophy and promotion to the top division and all the rams fans went home very happy indeed...despite watching "dull football every week"......

No, it wasn't a great game, but I can't remember a game like it, not even the Palace game when we went up. Could hardly watch the last 5 minutes, have never felt sicker than I did, and the sense of relief at the final whistle was literally like a huge weight being lifted off me.

Many people forgive dull football providing it's effective. It was in the CCC, but was sorely found out in the Premier League. Still, we were nearly there with our gameplan - Tried to sign Kenwyne Jones, if we'd gotten him, and then Rory Delap, we'd have survived! Rory Delap and a big lad worked for Sjoke afterall. :D

That was a play off game, of course people would go home very happy. And it was NOT the biggest game of Derby Countys history by any stretch of the imagination. Nowhere near.

Dull football is pointless, you play football properly, how it should be played. You play the game to please the fans, you do the best you can while doing it, and that's it. Anything less than that is failing in my eyes.

I said "arguably" the biggest game in our history, and it was, it was the richest ever prize in football don't forget..so quite important.

You are living in a dream world if you think that pretty football is the only way to go and everyone should do it...ask an Arsenal fan, if they would rather have the football they had last season, which was great......(and won nothing) or the football from George Grahams time, which was dull and won them so much silverware...? erm....I think I know what everyone of them would say. You can keep your entertainment, I want to win.

Archived