Inter v Spurs

Day

Seen as I have a season ticket, I pay to be entertained by my club, and I expect them to play the Derby way.

So, as a financial contributor, I would prefer the latter.

Play the "Derby way" and what exactly is that??

And, seen as I have a season ticket, I pay to watch us win things.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Play the "Derby way" and what exactly is that??

And, seen as I have a season ticket, I pay to watch us win things.

Well that's fair enough, that's your opinion.

The Derby way is getting it down on the floor and passing it. It doesn't work when we play it any other way. Some clubs have a permanent playing style. Millwall sides will always be physical, for example.

The argument for me is irrelevant anyway, because if you play ugly or pretty the right way, you win games. There is no right way to play football. But if we're losing, I'd get some pleasure from it.

Well that's fair enough, that's your opinion.

The Derby way is getting it down on the floor and passing it. It doesn't work when we play it any other way. Some clubs have a permanent playing style. Millwall sides will always be physical, for example.

The argument for me is irrelevant anyway, because if you play ugly or pretty the right way, you win games. There is no right way to play football. But if we're losing, I'd get some pleasure from it.

We are not famous for "getting it down on the floor and passing it" not at all, if you asked 100 random English football fans to name a team that has a history of playing "good football" the "right way" not one of them would mention Derby County.

Come on...you know it's not true, if we were losing every week you wouldn't be happy, no matter what the football was like, you know it, I know it, we all know it.

No, but i'd be happier in the knowledge that we were atleast trying to play the right way.

And i'd stick around whatever happened too.

We are not famous for "getting it down on the floor and passing it" not at all, if you asked 100 random English football fans to name a team that has a history of playing "good football" the "right way" not one of them would mention Derby County.

Nor would they describe us as a "win-ugly" team.

But if you asked 100 Derby fans, a good 75% would agree with me I reckon.

Derby sides have always passed, rather than bulldozed, their way to success. The world's first football superstar played for us, the 1946 FA Cup winning side has admired for its gifted footballers, Brian Clough curse the long-ball game (I really don't need to quote him here!), and even in terms of moderate success in recent years, our last proper spell in the top flight under Jim Smith was fantastic to watch, so I'm told.

I don't recall saying we're famous for it. I was merely saying that's the way successful Derby sides do it.

Nor would they describe us as a "win-ugly" team.

But if you asked 100 Derby fans, a good 75% would agree with me I reckon.

Derby sides have always passed, rather than bulldozed, their way to success. The world's first football superstar played for us, the 1946 FA Cup winning side has admired for its gifted footballers, Brian Clough curse the long-ball game (I really don't need to quote him here!), and even in terms of moderate success in recent years, our last proper spell in the top flight under Jim Smith was fantastic to watch, so I'm told.

I don't recall saying we're famous for it. I was merely saying that's the way successful Derby sides do it.

Hillarious...I love that you are quoting the great style of play we may or may not have had, all that you haven't seen for yourself in any shape way or form..! Brilliant.

Hillarious...I love that you are quoting the great style of play we may or may not have had, all that you haven't seen for yourself in any shape way or form..! Brilliant.

So all the above sides I mentioned simply bulldozed their way through football?

I also take it that History was not your favourite subject at school...

So all the above sides I mentioned simply bulldozed their way through football?

I also take it that History was not your favourite subject at school...

I always feel it is better to comment on something that you have experienced when it comes to making sweeping statements like you did. And as I am of a more mature age I was fortunate to experience some of these amazing footballing moments that you have read about..

Happy days..with such great skillfull footballers on show, playing total football, getting the ball down and passing it around in the "Derby County" style.....oh for another Lee Carsley or another George Williams or another Martin Khul or Mick Harford or Rob Hindmarch or Ross Maclaren or Mark Lillis or Andy Comyn or Simon Coleman or etc etc etc...all great footballers who would never dare tackle anyone..or play that disgusting "ugly football" you talk about...errr...it makes me sick.

(if you need to know who any of those players are...look them up in you history books!)

I always feel it is better to comment on something that you have experienced when it comes to making sweeping statements like you did. And as I am of a more mature age I was fortunate to experience some of these amazing footballing moments that you have read about..

Happy days..with such great skillfull footballers on show, playing total football, getting the ball down and passing it around in the "Derby County" style.....oh for another Lee Carsley or another George Williams or another Martin Khul or Mick Harford or Rob Hindmarch or Ross Maclaren or Mark Lillis or Andy Comyn or Simon Coleman or etc etc etc...all great footballers who would never dare tackle anyone..or play that disgusting "ugly football" you talk about...errr...it makes me sick.

(if you need to know who any of those players are...look them up in you history books!)

All pretty football sides have the ugly players. For every Spain there's a Carles Puyol, for every Brazil there's a Lucas. I never said they didn't (and I've used players from my time, is that allowed? ;))

I know that first-hand knowledge is better, but I'm pretty sure there's not a conspiracy going around amongst older generations of Derby fans and history books which protects the reality of the ugliness of former Derby sides.

On top of this, the old blokes sitting around me, and my father, never shut up about how good it is seeing Derby play the "Derby way", whatever that entails.

I'm pleased I've made you laugh through my obviously glaringly horrendous stupidity, how intelligent I would be to ignore all of these factors purely on the basis that I wasn't there to see it myself.

ha ha ha...yeah of course you wouldn't...just like the 40 odd thousand who went to Wembley wouldn't... ha ha...

Lol a poor argument, anyone would go to Wembley to watch their side.

1: It's Wembley, not often you can go with your club.

2: It's a priceless moment, you should go to just experience it.

And 3: Wembley games have a habit of being special matches, like the Blackpool/Cardiff game was.

We're just going in circles here.

You would win at any cost. Neil and I would only win it by playing 'the right way'. That's what it comes down to.

Lol a poor argument, anyone would go to Wembley to watch their side.

1: It's Wembley, not often you can go with your club.

2: It's a priceless moment, you should go to just experience it.

And 3: Wembley games have a habit of being special matches, like the Blackpool/Cardiff game was.

We're just going in circles here.

You would win at any cost. Neil and I would only win it by playing 'the right way'. That's what it comes down to.

anyone would go to Wembley....but neither you or Neil did..?!!

It seems...I am a winner and you are...hmmm now what is th opposite of that??

anyone would go to Wembley....but neither you or Neil did..?!!

It seems...I am a winner and you are...hmmm now what is th opposite of that??

I had made a friend a promise, I am of the mind that I shouldn't break them, unless a serious circumstance comes along.

I think you are a 'Sam Allardyce'. We are more of the 'Roberto Di Matteo' variety. (Modern day terms anyway)

I had made a friend a promise, I am of the mind that I shouldn't break them, unless a serious circumstance comes along.

I think you are a 'Sam Allardyce'. We are more of the 'Roberto Di Matteo' variety. (Modern day terms anyway)

Don't liken me to that joker...

I just like winning...

and if your friend was a real friend...they would have understood..

Wembley...wembley...we are the famous Derby County and were going to Wembley...never be beaten...

Don't liken me to that joker...

I just like winning...

and if your friend was a real friend...they would have understood..

Wembley...wembley...we are the famous Derby County and were going to Wembley...never be beaten...

But that's who you've basically described. He took Bolton to Europe with 1-0, long ball football. That's what you described.

And I like winning too, but it isn't the be all and end all. Not in my view anyway. I'd want to win with football befitting of champions.

And it wasn't the point that she had to understand, i'd already promised, so I did what I said I would. Maybe that's stupid of me, but that's how I think.

Depends was it a lady friend, could make all the difference if he hasn't done the business in a while. Can always watch the highlights on TV in bed later :p

Was indeed a lady friend ;) But a friend is what she is.

And how very dare you :mad: :D

Archived