Inter v Spurs

Day

Yes, we got alot of money out of it, but it isn't even arguably. We've had several far more important games through our history.

Why shouldn't they? Who made this rule? Perhaps Arsenal fail so much because they can't defend well enough? If you create a side with the skill of Arsenal but with the toughness of Stoke, you'd have a damn good side. I want to win and provide entertainment, i'd want to win it better than everyone else. Steamroll teams, dazzle them with skill, but he hard as nails when we didn't have the ball.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what you want from your club. I'd rather win trophies than amass amounts of money. Money disappears over time (as that £60m did), but no one can ever take away the league and FA cup wins.

Just like to point out I didn't say that :rolleyes:

Can I just say you two are crap at quoting people. When you click the quote buttton just start writing below the text in the post box. Thought this was obvious but obviously not :p.

I noticed after my comment lol.

Fixed it in my quote, should be alright now if the reply comes from that :rolleyes:

Obviously everyone wants there team to win 12-0 and dazzle teams, I wasn't saying that, as I am sure you know, I was saying that given the choice, I would rather win things and play "ugly football" like George Grahams teams for example, than win NOTHING and play "sexy football" like Kevin Keegans teams.

For me, I don't care about being entertained if we are winning.

It is all about the winning.

Probably a question best posed to Gooners.

Would they prefer the George Graham-brand of football that won them trophies, or the Arsene Wenger brand (of late) that has them playing superbly entertaining football but without much material success.

I guess the likely comeback would be that they prefer the earlier brand of Wenger football that sat somewhere between both extremes, and had them winning things.

Obviously everyone wants there team to win 12-0 and dazzle teams, I wasn't saying that, as I am sure you know, I was saying that given the choice, I would rather win things and play "ugly football" like George Grahams teams for example, than win NOTHING and play "sexy football" like Kevin Keegans teams.

For me, I don't care about being entertained if we are winning.

It is all about the winning.

My point originally was that if the football was extremely dull and we were winning every week I wouldn't be happy.

I would want to be entertained, doesn't have to be amazing football, I just want them to try and play it, and exciting games come out of doing that. Dull football seems pointless to me, I think every team should strive to play that type of football.

For me, it's not all about the winning. It's about winning 'the right way'.

My point originally was that if the football was extremely dull and we were winning every week I wouldn't be happy.

I would want to be entertained, doesn't have to be amazing football, I just want them to try and play it, and exciting games come out of doing that. Dull football seems pointless to me, I think every team should strive to play that type of football.

For me, it's not all about the winning. It's about winning 'the right

way'.

Oh, yeah, that would be awful, winning every week, i definitely do not want that, give me playing nice football and getting beat every time.!

The promotion season with Mr Davies was awful, all those victories, absolutely awful....

Oh, yeah, that would be awful, winning every week, i definitely do not want that, give me playing nice football and getting beat every time.!

The promotion season with Mr Davies was awful, all those victories, absolutely awful....

A certain Mr Clough used to win with attractive football. We don't just laud Brian because he won the title, we laud him for the way it was won, and rightly so. We didn't kick teams off the park, we didn't score 1 goal then defend. Brain always remembered that crowds came to be entertained. Did Brian ever send out a team to defend a 1-0 lead? I doubt it. Against his nature I'd have thought.

To suggest that "nice" football is losing football is follishness of the highest order and shows a complete ignorance of the game. Michel, I'm sincerely surprised at you.

A certain Mr Clough used to win with attractive football. We don't just laud Brian because he won the title, we laud him for the way it was won, and rightly so. We didn't kick teams off the park, we didn't score 1 goal then defend. Brain always remembered that crowds came to be entertained. Did Brian ever send out a team to defend a 1-0 lead? I doubt it. Against his nature I'd have thought.

To suggest that "nice" football is losing football is follishness of the highest order and shows a complete ignorance of the game. Michel, I'm sincerely surprised at you.

I have never said that nice football is losing football, as I am sure you actually know...all I have been trying to say is that I would rather be a fan watching Arsenal win the league every year like they did under George Graham than losing games 4-3 like Keegan did at Newcastle.

And I was pointing out how ridiculous the statement made earlier that if we were winnign every week but not playing attractive football then it would be boring..

Michel, that's you saying that "nice football" is losing football.

If you watch a 90 minute match, get twenty seconds of exciting action for a goal, and the rest is boring, you've failed as a manager.

You go out to win of course, but you go out to win it the 'right' way. If i'm not entertaining the fans, or atleast in every game attempting to, you're not doing your job.

And you we're different I think, you would take the dull matches but the knowledge that you'd win most games but without a spectacle. I'd take the attractive games, entertain the fans, and still attempt to win every game. Besides which, I still think you can win playing that football.

I'd use that style wherever I went as a manager. I'd refuse to play anything else other than attractive football.

There you go again, mixing generalisation with specifics.

You keep mixing your examples to attempt to prove your point. Wembley was a one-off, a cup final, the atmosphere generated by the stakes at hand would have made any match exciting for the fans of each team. Alex and I were talking about a team which habitually played dull monotonous football, week in, week out, no ambition to entertain, no responsibility to the fans. Why then should the fans be expected to have any responsibilty to the club?

If you want to shell out your money to be bored just so you can be happy about the league table afterwards then that's your perogative. I think Alex and I would prefer to shell the money out, enjoy the game AND be happy about the league table. That might make us idealists in some eyes, but we think it's possible to do all that whereas you seem to think that you can't entertain and win. I guess that, as a neutral, you were equally happy with Spain winning the European Championship as you were when Greece won. 1 team played skillful, entertaining football and won, the other team was Greece. But hey, winning is all that counts, allegedly. True, both teams are recorded as having won, but each win will be regarded completely differently because of the way in which the win was acheived. And that's the real legacy.

Archived