Gavin Whyte - free agent linked by Belfast Telegraph

Caerphilly Ram

I guess this needs an actual transfer thread as although we’re only mentioned as one of a handful of “interested” league one sides, it is an actual source for the rumour;

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-pair-attracting-interest-as-english-and-scottish-sides-prepare-to-swoop/a546823177.html

Linked with a move for free agent Gavin Whyte, Northern Ireland international leaving Cardiff on a free. 27 year old right sided attacker, formerly played league one football at Oxford so maybe a Mark Thomas link there too? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Spelling of too 🤦🏻‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Doesn't sound like he would improve us much.  

47 minutes ago, SK47 said:

I'd rather have that other Irish geezer we were linked with. 

Despite stumbling upon and sharing the link I’m sceptical as to how much truth there is to it. Lots of noise on Twitter suggests he’s joining Plymouth and it could easily be lazy journalism throwing our name in there for the clicks… HOWEVER, to dismiss a 27 year old in his prime who has scored and assisted at this level as well as playing in the championship, can play across the forward line when he could essentially be a replacement/upgrade on Springett and our general lack of depth last season seems odd. Each to their own though. 

38 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Despite stumbling upon and sharing the link I’m sceptical as to how much truth there is to it. Lots of noise on Twitter suggests he’s joining Plymouth and it could easily be lazy journalism throwing our name in there for the clicks… HOWEVER, to dismiss a 27 year old in his prime who has scored and assisted at this level as well as playing in the championship, can play across the forward line when he could essentially be a replacement/upgrade on Springett and our general lack of depth last season seems odd. Each to their own though. 

That should have been Portsmouth* not Plymouth, long day 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

52 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/pompey-complete-whyte-signing/

Joined Portsmouth, which was the main suggestion on Twitter a couple of days ago. Probably just our name thrown into the article for the sake of it. 

Any agent worth his salt at this level will make sure our name is in the mix.

Same goes for the other players linked to us, but signing further down the pyramid. 

It's why I'm not concerned we've missed out on supposed targets so far, if we really wanted those players they'd be here.