Cardiff suing Nantes for £100m over Sala death

littleover ram

16 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

And likewise. You’re hardly one to throw stones given your previous owner! Marinakis pays his bills.. 

actually our previous owner was never accused of breaking any laws and his money was not in question - what he did do was give up and walked away after sinking a large amount of genuinely earned money in. I wonder what would happen to your football club if your owner walked away?

My initial opinion is that Cardiff should've paid the fee and moved on. But i believe their argument is that they booked Sala a flight but he had some personal matters to resolve and therefore Nantes organised the flight that he ended up on. 

The more it drags on the more i think they should just wipe the debt and move on. Harsh on Nantes but ultimately this issue is becoming more distasteful by the day. 

19 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

My initial opinion is that Cardiff should've paid the fee and moved on. But i believe their argument is that they booked Sala a flight but he had some personal matters to resolve and therefore Nantes organised the flight that he ended up on. 

The more it drags on the more i think they should just wipe the debt and move on. Harsh on Nantes but ultimately this issue is becoming more distasteful by the day. 

But the counter point is booking the flight isn't responsibility for delivering a safe flight, that comes down to the transport provider. 

A football club's logistics person is probably not an expert on aviation safety and just makes bookings that fit the who needs to where equation. There is perhaps a question of due diligence on the part of Nantes regards the provider (approved supplier lists are a thing).

Ultimately, I feel some sort of partially reduced payment due to the circumstances should probably have been negotiated in good faith between the parties but I feel the route Cardiff are going down won't financially benefit them very much if at all but will be very bad for their reputation and public image. The contention that Cardiff would have made a lot more money had Sala not tragically lost his life is very speculative at best and going into court on the basis of speculation is "risky" shall we say.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But the counter point is booking the flight isn't responsibility for delivering a safe flight, that comes down to the transport provider. 

A football club's logistics person is probably not an expert on aviation safety and just makes bookings that fit the who needs to where equation. There is perhaps a question of due diligence on the part of Nantes regards the provider (approved supplier lists are a thing).

Ultimately, I feel some sort of partially reduced payment due to the circumstances should probably have been negotiated in good faith between the parties but I feel the route Cardiff are going down won't financially benefit them very much if at all but will be very bad for their reputation and public image. The contention that Cardiff would have made a lot more money had Sala not tragically lost his life is very speculative at best and going into court on the basis of speculation is "risky" shall we say.

I may be completely wrong but i thought Cardiff had been ordered to pay the transfer fee, so maybe this counter claim has been made to recoup some if not all of the fee.

Agreed that Cardiff won't get anywhere near the £100m, so i can only assume that there's some legal politics being played. 

22 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Willie McKay booked the flight though. Willie McKay was not employed by Nantes. He was, one of a number, of intermediaries that had a stake in the deal. I don't understand how Cardiff intend to hold Nantes liable for a decision made by a third party.

4 hours ago, Anon said:

Willie McKay booked the flight though. Willie McKay was not employed by Nantes. He was, one of a number, of intermediaries that had a stake in the deal. I don't understand how Cardiff intend to hold Nantes liable for a decision made by a third party.

I wasn't aware of that.