FA could take McClaren back

Day

STEVE McCLAREN is amazingly being considered by the FA as the next England boss.

Fabio Capello steps down in two years and football chiefs want his successor to be English.

The Three Lions failed to qualify for Euro 2008 under McClaren.

But FA head of football development Trevor Brooking said: "I'm sure if Steve continues to be a success his name will be in the frame again. If you think he will be a lot more experienced this time around and he has learnt his lesson, then why not?

"I wouldn't rule out anyone, it would be very unfair to do that."

McClaren, 49, was axed by England in 2007 but then led FC Twente to the Dutch title before taking over at German side Wolfsburg five months ago.

Harry Redknapp, Sam Allardyce and Roy Hodgson have all been touted as England's next manager.

But FA bigwigs believe McClaren's record in Europe makes him better equipped now than when he took over from Sven Goran Eriksson in 2006.

Brooking added: "If you are successful it is the right time.

"If you asked Steve, he probably wanted that little bit more experience.

"That is why he has gone abroad and he has adapted really well.

"We definitely want to go English."

McClaren has the worst defeat percentage of any England manager in history. He lost five of his 18 games in charge - a dismal 28 per cent.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3166914/FA-could-take-Steve-McClaren-back.html

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in principle, why not? I'm sure there are people at the FA who remember how Bobby Robson left the England job, went to Europe and won a load of stuff. McClaren could do the same (started well at Twente). And McClaren has said perviously that he thought he was too inexperienced for the job but took it as you don't know if it's going to come around again. But would there be any public enthusiasm if he were re-appointed? I doubt it somehow. Although if it were a straight choice between him and Sam Allardyce..............

If SwissRam were here, he'd launch into a tirade about the FA's obsession with hiring an English manager next time.....

Well, in principle, why not? I'm sure there are people at the FA who remember how Bobby Robson left the England job, went to Europe and won a load of stuff. McClaren could do the same (started well at Twente). And McClaren has said perviously that he thought he was too inexperienced for the job but took it as you don't know if it's going to come around again. But would there be any public enthusiasm if he were re-appointed? I doubt it somehow. Although if it were a straight choice between him and Sam Allardyce..............

If SwissRam were here, he'd launch into a tirade about the FA's obsession with hiring an English manager next time.....

I am here bunny nuts.....all be it under a new name because I am too big for this Forum..!!

You are right of course....what is the obssesion with getting an English manager..?? We need to get the BEST manager....irrispective of whether he was born in Manchester, Madrid or on freaking Mars...!

If the best options we have are Allardyce, Bruce or Redknapp we are in big big trouble...

And he has proven this by winning.........................

exactly....

FA Cup?

First manager to take Spurs into the Champions League.

If the FA go English, it should be either Redknapp or more likely Hodgson, who has plenty of continental experience.

FA Cup?

First manager to take Spurs into the Champions League.

If the FA go English, it should be either Redknapp or more likely Hodgson, who has plenty of continental experience.

FA CUP...! Great...so has Bobby Gould, John Sillet and Joe Royle...Redknapp is just a second hand car salesman....and as for Hodgson....have you seen what he is doing with Liverpool..?

We need the BEST manager there, forget the xenophobia and get the BEST...and the BEST is certainly NOT English.

I think McClaren would be crazy to take the job again - the tabloids would just be waiting for him to trip up so they could wheel out the 'wally with the brolly' jibes.

Wiki seems to suggest both Redknapp and Hodgson would be 65 in a couple of years, so judging by Fergie still going at 68 they'd have a few years in them. Don't mind whether the next manager is English or not - wouldn't be happy with Allardyce though!

FA CUP...! Great...so has Bobby Gould, John Sillet and Joe Royle...Redknapp is just a second hand car salesman....and as for Hodgson....have you seen what he is doing with Liverpool..?

We need the BEST manager there, forget the xenophobia and get the BEST...and the BEST is certainly NOT English.

Hi Swiss !

I did say 'if' they went down the English route. I don't particularly have any preference either way. I can see the benefits of a home-grown manager, however I can also see the advantage of bringing in someone from the beyond the British Isles.

Re the FA Cup, you asked what he'd won. He's won the FA Cup.

People didn't think that Redknapp would be able to cope with having 'big names' at Tottenham, and predicted doom and gloom. Instead he broke the big four dominance and put Tottenham into the CL, no mean feat in itself.

Personally, I'd prefer Hodgson of the two of them. Despite your Liverpool comment, which has more to do with the situation Hodgson's inherited than any managerial ability on his part, he has a wealth of continental experience, managing at international level, managing a major European club, as well as proving himself capable of getting the best out of the likes of Fulham and Blackburn. To write him off under the guise of 'look what he's doing at Liverpool' is incredibly naive.

I did say 'if' they went down the English route. I don't particularly have any preference either way. I can see the benefits of a home-grown manager, however I can also see the advantage of bringing in someone from the beyond the British Isles.

Re the FA Cup, you asked what he'd won. He's won the FA Cup.

People didn't think that Redknapp would be able to cope with having 'big names' at Tottenham, and predicted doom and gloom. Instead he broke the big four dominance and put Tottenham into the CL, no mean feat in itself.

Personally, I'd prefer Hodgson of the two of them. Despite your Liverpool comment, which has more to do with the situation Hodgson's inherited than any managerial ability on his part, he has a wealth of continental experience, managing at international level, managing a major European club, as well as proving himself capable of getting the best out of the likes of Fulham and Blackburn. To write him off under the guise of 'look what he's doing at Liverpool' is incredibly naive.

Out of the names you mentioned I too would prefer Hodgson out of all of them, I think he is a decent manager......BUT, he is not in the top 5 managers in the world and that is exactly who we should be attracting.

It is still one of the top jobs in world football and we need to get a top top manager....not settle for a used car salesman just because he managed to finish fourth in the league...after spending over 150 million lets not forget..!!

It's a shame about McLaren's time with England. He is actually a good manager but he didn't have the experience and respect to manage the bunch of primadonnas he was in charge of. It was more the players fault that his during that qualifying campaign in my opinion.

I don't think he would be England manager again, and for good reason because, like Crack said, the tabloids would wait for the simplest trip up and slate him. He will also be a a massive scapegoat when we disappoint in the 2012 Euros, which we definitely will.

It's a shame about McLaren's time with England. He is actually a good manager but he didn't have the experience and respect to manage the bunch of primadonnas he was in charge of. It was more the players fault that his during that qualifying campaign in my opinion.

I don't think he would be England manager again, and for good reason because, like Crack said, the tabloids would wait for the simplest trip up and slate him. He will also be a a massive scapegoat when we disappoint in the 2012 Euros, which we definitely will.

He is a top class coach, just too much too soon for him in my opinon.

Why will we "definitely" "dissappoint" at 2012..? We have 2 years to go until then, we have one of the best managers in the world in charge, we have 2 or 3 absolute world class players and a VERY easy group to qualify from....We could EASILY go there and end up as one of the top 4 teams in the tournament.....I am not saying we will by the way, just pointing out a fact that we easily could.

Out of the names you mentioned I too would prefer Hodgson out of all of them, I think he is a decent manager......BUT, he is not in the top 5 managers in the world and that is exactly who we should be attracting.

It is still one of the top jobs in world football and we need to get a top top manager....not settle for a used car salesman just because he managed to finish fourth in the league...after spending over 150 million lets not forget..!!

I'm not so sure that that's true any more. There's a lot more emphasis on club football now.

If I could have my pick of any manager I'd love to get Hiddink.

Archived