FA could take McClaren back

Day

SO...honestly....you are saying that you would rather us go to Brazil in 2014 for the World cup and get knocked out in the group stages BUT have Redknapp in charge than go to Brazil in 2014 for the World cup and beat Brazil, Argentina and Germany and WIN the World Cup with a foreign manager.....????

dont talk like a doughnut, id want england to win the world cup full stop,

but in MY opinion ID SOONER HE BE english.

THE ENGLISH STYLE OF FOOTBALL HAS DISINTEGRATED DUE TO THE VAST AMOUNTS OF FOREIGN IMPORTS INTO THE HIGHLY OVER PAID GAME WHICH WE ALL WATCH.

the english syle has gone and week in week out we have to watch these players diving around on the floor and gesticulating that the ref books the player,

that aint the english game as i know it!

wage cap these players , limit the amount of overseas players in each team, then in my opinion we would slowly start to revert back to the ENGLISH way of playing!

ps as for the ashes squad , they are all english citizens .

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dont talk like a doughnut, id want england to win the world cup full stop,

but in MY opinion ID SOONER HE BE english.

THE ENGLISH STYLE OF FOOTBALL HAS DISINTEGRATED DUE TO THE VAST AMOUNTS OF FOREIGN IMPORTS INTO THE HIGHLY OVER PAID GAME WHICH WE ALL WATCH.

the english syle has gone and week in week out we have to watch these players diving around on the floor and gesticulating that the ref books the player,

that aint the english game as i know it!

wage cap these players , limit the amount of overseas players in each team, then in my opinion we would slowly start to revert back to the ENGLISH way of playing!

But I thought that "English was always best"..??

Of course everyone would rather us win the World Cup with an Englishman in charge and a squad of 23 English born players playing "English style" football....but it is not going to happen any time in the near future....we haven't got an English manager in the top 10 of managers around and we need the best.....therefore we have to take off our Xenophobic blinkers and get the best....even if it has 3 heads, 12 eyes, is green and comes from Mars...

P.S. The ashes squad...4 born in South Africa (including our captain) and 1 born in Dublin....and even played for Ireland..!!

P.S. The ashes squad...4 born in South Africa (including our captain) and 1 born in Dublin....and even played for Ireland..!!

please read all my post and dont just disect the bits that fuel your argument

they are all english citizens !

Still doesn't make it right for me, whilst I don't have any problems with foreign managers I draw the line at players playing for other countries. Would you want to see Almunia and Arteta play for England? I know I wouldn't.

Still doesn't make it right for me, whilst I don't have any problems with foreign managers I draw the line at players playing for other countries. Would you want to see Almunia and Arteta play for England? I know I wouldn't.

i agree with you daveyboy,but on the other hand when youve sworn allegance to that country you should be entitled to the same rights as as those that are born there.

I wouldn't like to think Almunia would be playing for Derby let alone England....he is shocking...and Arteta doesn't qualify for England as he has already played at some level for Spain.

I agree with everything you said about the English game Trigger, BUT my original argument is that we need the BEST manager...not an English one whohas nothing on his CV apart from "I am English"

Arteta - yes please!

But I don't think he would want to.

Even with Spain's amazing midfield, I'm surprised Arteta hasn't even had one or two call ups yet, even as a squad back up.

I'm not really bothered about foreign managers anyway. There clearly aren't enough English managers who are good enough.

English football needs rebuilding, not just the national team. Everything from grass roots to Premier League rules needs a complete rehaul if we are ever going to win a World Cup or European Championship.

English football needs rebuilding, not just the national team. Everything from grass roots to Premier League rules needs a complete rehaul if we are ever going to win a World Cup or European Championship.

+1

And why would any foreign manager have any interest in developing English talent? They don't, and they're not held accountable for it. That's why they don't bother with academies. Wenger is the only one who does and he stuffs it with kids from other countries.

I wouldn't like to think Almunia would be playing for Derby let alone England....he is shocking...and Arteta doesn't qualify for England as he has already played at some level for Spain.

I agree with everything you said about the English game Trigger, BUT my original argument is that we need the BEST manager...not an English one whohas nothing on his CV apart from "I am English"

point taken muespach, but i believe the english game must take the young english talent that is out there, the trouble is that we are not looking hard enough due to bosman transfers etc, if we dont invest in young english talent we are never going to suceed , weather it be with the best foreign manager or english,

we have to rely on clubs like ourselves, crewe etc who seem to be able to do ok with its youth accademy and then ship em out to premier clubs,

i say cap the squad with 3-4 foreigners then see how good yer arsenals, chelsea man utd really are, it will level the playing surface for a lot more clubs

I have a suspicion that general EU regulations on freedom of movement and restraint of trade would prevent any cap being placed on members from other EU nations. I dare so no-one thought about the impact to football at the time they were discussed at whichever summit it was, as football wasn't the huge business interest it now is.

Steve McClaren has vowed never to manage England again and told friends: 'Shoot me if I ever think about it.'

After getting his career back on track in club football so impressively in Holland with FC Twente, the last thing the Wolfsburg boss wants is a return to the arena in which he suffered his greatest humiliation.

Sir Trevor Brooking has opened the door for McClaren to take a second shot at the job that went badly wrong for him just three years ago.

The FA want an Englishman to succeed Fabio Capello when he leaves after Euro 2012 and their director of technical development has said McClaren is doing so well he is bound to be back in the frame.

But after enduring serious ridicule and being branded The Wally with a Brolly at the end of his 17-month reign, the former Middlesbrough manager wants his England association to remain firmly in the past.

'Steve has moved on - and moved on well,' said a friend. 'His record as a manager both before and after his period as England boss shows he has nothing to prove to anyone.

'All he wants is to be left alone to get on with maintaining what is an excellent reputation as a club coach.'

McClaren took only two years to turn unfashionable Twente into Dutch champions and after a poor start with Wolfsburg this season, the Bundesliga side have bounced back and made a rapid climb up the table.

'A few people might have jumped to the wrong conclusions when the team started badly, but he has sorted a lot of things out and now they have turned the corner,' added the source.

'He was a hero to the Twente fans and now the Wolfsburg supporters are right behind him, too.

'Steve believes he has benefited from the experience gained with England. He has high hopes for what he can achieve at Wolfsburg, but whatever happens any future plans do not include any involvement with the England team.'

McClaren's early declaration will not make life easier for the FA, who do not seem to have been overly impressed with the country's top managers in the past. Bosses such as Harry Redknapp and Sam Allardyce have been passed over before but Brooking says the governing body remain keen on a local candidate.

'Ideally, we'd still want an English coach but it's all about availability,' he said.

'Longer-term, we'd like to appoint English coaches on a regular basis.'

Brooking is convinced more quality English players will become available due to a slowing of the foreign invasion.

Overseas players, he says, will shun the Premier League because of the 50 per cent tax bracket while clubs will be unwilling to pay prohibitive transfer fees caused by the weakness of the pound.

'It's going to cost 35 per cent more to get the same player,' said Brooking.

'Also, players will ask what their net tax figure is. 'The result is that there will be a demand for more English players.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1319203/Steve-McClaren-insists-I-dont-want-England-job.html#ixzz11yfaoSw9

FA CUP...! Great...so has Bobby Gould, John Sillet and Joe Royle...Redknapp is just a second hand car salesman....and as for Hodgson....have you seen what he is doing with Liverpool..?

We need the BEST manager there, forget the xenophobia and get the BEST...and the BEST is certainly NOT English.

notice you conveniently missed out on Tottenham getting into the champions league, a fantastic achievement.

Just out of interest Michel, where do you get this figure of 150 million from? Is that a total spent on incoming players, or a net figure for players in and out? Genuinely, I'm interested to know.

I suppose he could have spent a similar amount and actually taken his club out of the Champions League, like Benitez. Or is the fact that he won it in his first full season, with most of the team inherited from Houllier, an outright mitigation of Benitez's ultimate disappointment and failure?

I think you'll find that, to the Premiership clubs in the top half of the table, then the Champions League is indeed everything.

Just out of interest Michel, where do you get this figure of 150 million from? Is that a total spent on incoming players, or a net figure for players in and out? Genuinely, I'm interested to know.

I suppose he could have spent a similar amount and actually taken his club out of the Champions League, like Benitez. Or is the fact that he won it in his first full season, with most of the team inherited from Houllier, an outright mitigation of Benitez's ultimate disappointment and failure?

I think you'll find that, to the Premiership clubs in the top half of the table, then the Champions League is indeed everything.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham-spending-eclipses-big-four-1817972.html

All I have been saying all along is that we need the BEST manager for the England job, and, if we are JUST taking the AMAZINGLY MIGHTY Premier league, then the tax dodger was the 4th best last season....so we should not be even entertaining him as a candidate.

Ok, thanks. So according to that article it is just spending then, not a net investment figure. And the club made record profitst during that time frame. He's doing a really crap job then, isn't he? Obviously Harry is just a lucky manager who doesn't really know anything about running a football club because, after all, he's just a second-hand car dealer in your opinion.

Don't hear too many Spurs fans or directors complaining about Harry's spending. I guess they think that 150 million (minus fees for players leaving the club) is acceptable outlay for the progress made by the club under the current management. Their call, of course.

I've never said I want Redknapp, or any of the current crop of "top" English managers to be given the job next time - I don't particularly rate any of them, although I do think Redknapp would be the best of the bunch. What I do want is for action to be taken to improve the quality and experience of English coaches. The only reason that hasn't happened is money, which leads to short-term decisions by the clubs. I also believe that better English league coaches/managers will lead to a better development of young players which will directly benefit the national team. That's something which no foreign coach/manager employed in the Premier League has any vested interest in - in fact, you could argue that they have an interest in stopping any improvement in the English national team.

P.S. I'd be careful about casually bandying insults and slurs around about third parties if I were you - forums have been closed down for less..... Redknapp's trial has been adjurned and an appeal to dismiss the charges is to be heard in November. He is innocent until proven guilty.

I completely agree, we need to re invent football over here if we are ever going to be successful as a national team.

But, whilst we are changing the kids game, getting better coaches for kids, getting a winter break, reducing the size of the league, restricting Foreign players, increasing the importance of the national team and decreasing the importance of the chumpions league etc etc etc we NEED the best manager possible in charge of our National team...and it is NOT any English person.

Archived