FA could take McClaren back

Day

I'm not so sure that that's true any more. There's a lot more emphasis on club football now.

If I could have my pick of any manager I'd love to get Hiddink.

It is definitely one of the top 5 managerial jobs in the World, if you have the balls to take it on that is.

Don't forget, we DO have the pick of any manager, they are ALL interested in two things....being famous....and MONEY and we can offer them both of those things in abundance.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is definitely one of the top 5 managerial jobs in the World, if you have the balls to take it on that is.

Don't forget, we DO have the pick of any manager, they are ALL interested in two things....being famous....and MONEY and we can offer them both of those things in abundance.

Thing is though, we also offer them unprecedented media attention, a fickle press, no private life and unrealistic expecations.

I'm sure a lot of managers see it as a poisoned chalice.

If you had the pick of any manager then you probably wouldn't go English. Top managers in the world? Hiddink, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Ferguson, and IMO, the previous WC aside, Capello.

Thing is though, we also offer them unprecedented media attention, a fickle press, no private life and unrealistic expecations.

I'm sure a lot of managers see it as a poisoned chalice.

If you had the pick of any manager then you probably wouldn't go English. Top managers in the world? Hiddink, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Ferguson, and IMO, the previous WC aside, Capello.

We do offer them all that, but I am afraid that is the price you pay for 6 million a year..!

Exactly right with the top managers, we have one of the best in the world now, when he goes we need to replace him with someone of equal stature, like you say...Hiddink, Ancleotti, Mourinho, Ferguson etc etc

I wouldn't stand in McClarens way if he took over England again - he's gone and took risks with his career, he's gone abroad and could have been a forgotten man, lingering in the bottom half of some poor league, but he turned an average team into Champions in a country outside the UK - I give him alot of credit for doing that and I often wonder why other managers don't do the same.

Looking at other English managers, I would be very worried if any were to take over - we've been linked with Allardyce, Redknapp, Pearce and Bruce, that says it all about the state of English managers at the moment

I wouldn't stand in McClarens way if he took over England again - he's gone and took risks with his career, he's gone abroad and could have been a forgotten man, lingering in the bottom half of some poor league, but he turned an average team into Champions in a country outside the UK - I give him alot of credit for doing that and I often wonder why other managers don't do the same.

Looking at other English managers, I would be very worried if any were to take over - we've been linked with Allardyce, Redknapp, Pearce and Bruce, that says it all about the state of English managers at the moment

Exactly...that is exactly why we don't HAVE to go for an English manager, we need to go for the BEST manager.....and at this point in time the BEST manager certainly is not an Englishman.

Like you say though....fair play to Stevie Mac, he has took a couple of massive risks and it seems to be paying off for him.

i agree dangerous!

bring back the home internationals and let the emerging talent have a go,

also in my opinion the team is called ENGLAND, to me that symbolises that evreyone connected to it should be ENGLISH,

id sooner fail with an ENGLISHMAN in charge than some wop who doesnt understand what football actually means to the fans, and then readilly takes home a fat pay cheque to some other country.

i agree dangerous!

bring back the home internationals and let the emerging talent have a go,

also in my opinion the team is called ENGLAND, to me that symbolises that evreyone connected to it should be ENGLISH,

id sooner fail with an ENGLISHMAN in charge than some wop who doesnt understand what football actually means to the fans, and then readilly takes home a fat pay cheque to some other country.

Have you any idea what you sound like..? It is the year 2010 you know?

You would seriously rather FAIL with Redknapp in charge than win the World Cup with Ancelotti...?? REALLY...you are completely crack pot.

Why would bring back the home internationals help in any way...? The one thing that all the super stars of the Sky league all agree on is that there are too many games as it is.

Please remember not to cheer on the ENGLISH cricket team in the ashed this winter, all those South African, Welsh and Irish people in there, just taking home the money with no idea what it's like to be English..!

We deserve the best, and the best just aint English I am afraid....

As an England fan I want the best manager we can get, I don't care if he's Bosnian, American or Albanian. For me the best manager is Mourinho, after 2 years at Real he might be up for the challenge.

Problem is the FA will be after an Englishman, a fiver says it will be Arry.

As an England fan I want the best manager we can get, I don't care if he's Bosnian, American or Albanian. For me the best manager is Mourinho, after 2 years at Real he might be up for the challenge.

Problem is the FA will be after an Englishman, a fiver says it will be Arry.

They should be braking their necks to get Mourinho in my opinion.

But I worry that you might be right and that we will end up with Redknapp....which will be a complete disater for the national team.

Apparently they went in for him before getting Capello but he rejected the chance of an interview, Wenger the same.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see an Englishman in charge of England, but only if he was there on merit and not his nationality.

If the best we can offer is Redknapp, McClaren or Allerdyce we're in for a few dark years as England fans. I just hope Derby have improved by that point otherwise it will be depressing times.

Have you any idea what you sound like..? It is the year 2010 you know?

You would seriously rather FAIL with Redknapp in charge than win the World Cup with Ancelotti...?? REALLY...you are completely crack pot.

Why would bring back the home internationals help in any way...? The one thing that all the super stars of the Sky league all agree on is that there are too many games as it is.

Please remember not to cheer on the ENGLISH cricket team in the ashed this winter, all those South African, Welsh and Irish people in there, just taking home the money with no idea what it's like to be English..!

We deserve the best, and the best just aint English I am afraid....

you speak for yourself m8!

english is the best and will always be the best.

you speak for yourself m8!

english is the best and will always be the best.

SO...honestly....you are saying that you would rather us go to Brazil in 2014 for the World cup and get knocked out in the group stages BUT have Redknapp in charge than go to Brazil in 2014 for the World cup and beat Brazil, Argentina and Germany and WIN the World Cup with a foreign manager.....????

Staffs ram said "Top managers in the world? Hiddink, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Ferguson, and IMO, the previous WC aside, Capello."

You replied "Exactly right with the top managers"

I don't remember you ever mentioning Del Bosque, not here or on the old DET (I could be wrong, of course) . The only "successful" managers you ever seem to be interested in are successful club managers. If FIFA let the national teams buy players from other nations the same way they let the clubs do, then we can win the next world cup 'os we've got all the money, allegedly. All the managers you want have been successful by buying players, not by making do with the one's they've got. There's only Del Bosque and Lippi who have won the Champions League and the World Cup, proving their all-round managerial ability - but neither are in your top 5 managers?

The same names come out everytime because people watch the Champions League on TV and see which clubs are winning. Everyone wants success now, there's no long term plan, no interest in why English managers aren't regarded so highly internationally (or even domestically for that matter) and no interest in getting that fixed. There's no reason why English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Belgian, Polish, Danish, Swiss (!) managers could not become successful managers with an international reputation - except that no-one invests in them. Top level football is now a completely money driven, results now industry. People in this country want the best available now, with no foresight for the future. Hence why so much of our real industry is gone, jobs have gone abroad, education standards have dropped, etc, etc. We don't make anymore, we just buy in and consume. We have to learn to take a long-term view. If we ever see an English manager win the world cup, with ANY country, then we might be able to say we've been successful because we've actually gone out of our way and developed something we don't yet have.

Don't forget that Mourinho was basically apprenticed by Bobby Robson - who else is doing that now?

Archived