Do Derby want Commons ?

red fever

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're possible not too far off the mark with that. If his performances improve then why sign a new "below market" wage deal with us when he will almost certainly attract attention from other clubs.

If he puts in another 2 or 3 excellent performances then I think it's time for the club to sit down with him.

We've got ten games to play until the start of December. If he plays in 7/8 of those and performs well I can see us offering him a new deal before the new year. Of course, considering it'll be on less money, will he want to sign it??? I've got my doubts so let's hope we can get as many performances like Wed's out of him as we can 'til he goes...

What if we are pushing for promotion or looking likely for play-offs. Could then offer a decent salary with a good rise in the event if promotion

Not too sure about that,Davenport.If promotion bid failed,they'd be lumbered with the new wage.I've a feeling they're trying to avoid having some senior players on a lot more than others,though better players (and usually forwards) will always attract a premium.The question is,how much of a premium would they be willing to offer?

We are NOT the same team without him .

I agree with this.

We rely on his creativity at times, although he is a luxury. He can be a world-beater at times and his occasional magic has been crucial to winning some games. If he wasn't playing in the Leeds and Boro games we wouldn't have got more than a point from each of them.

He can struggle with injury and I understand that Clough is concerned about this, considering what I imagine he is earning.

Though I really do think he is a player worth keeping. If we don't offer him a new contract by Christmas then he will be more than happy to be looking for a contract from the likes of QPR, Cardiff, Celtic etc.

Not too sure about that,Davenport.If promotion bid failed,they'd be lumbered with the new wage.I've a feeling they're trying to avoid having some senior players on a lot more than others,though better players (and usually forwards) will always attract a premium.The question is,how much of a premium would they be willing to offer?

I was wondering about this; that Commons' contract offer might somehow be determined by where we are at in the table when it comes to the crunch in negotiations (and who knows what talk there has been so far). May well be wrong but if so, it could be that if we don't perform, KC will be on his way which could account for Nigel's public statements about the player.

Archived