Jake Rooney - signed on a permanent deal

Sean

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really happy with this. Brought along very quietly since arriving from Burnley, though like others on here, I think I've spotted a few things that lead me to believe that this lad has a big future. First off, he seems to possess a deal of technical ability. His first touch is good, he can pass off either foot and he already has the ability to calmly create space and time for himself when he needs to.  He already looks a cultured player at just 19 years of age and I'm really excited about his prospects. Critically though, while seemingly very calm and controlled, he's happy to mix it with anyone, without being silly. He's deceptively strong and if he even fills out a little, he's going to be a handful. He certainly won't be bullied.

Tenuous perhaps, but further confidence can be gleaned from the three year contract which firmly suggests this view is at least in part shared by the club. I strongly fancy this is another shrewd bit of business and mindful of the long game, one with a significant potential upside for the club. Fanciful perhaps, but the close-knit timing of Knight's move and this deal being done is not lost on me and I could see this lad a year or two from now replacing the high-energy ratting role as a ball-playing, ball-winning CDM, more akin to Gorgeous George and arguably better suited to the Championship. Well we can dream, right!

As for now, a considered loan for a month or two to a club where he could expect to gain experience in a DM role would seem an eminently sensible next step though my hunch is that he may be pressing for senior squad selection by the end of the current season, assuming PW shares the view that he is suited to the midfield role.

Welcome to Derby, Jake, again! 

COYR

Love your post and agree with you but do you really think the club see him as a midfielder long term? I doubt that. I think they seem him as a defender

On 12/07/2023 at 09:11, Gerry Daly said:

Love your post and agree with you but do you really think the club see him as a midfielder long term? I doubt that. I think they seem him as a defender

Cheers buddy!

Well he has played nearly all of his matches at Derby as a CB/RB so it's only a hunch really. I'm looking at his footballing ability and thinking he's good enough to play in the middle of the park, but whether the club see it the same way is open to question, I concede. if he ends up a CB, then I'd guess he'll end up a very talented one.

On 12/07/2023 at 01:31, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really happy with this. Brought along very quietly since arriving from Burnley, though like others on here, I think I've spotted a few things that lead me to believe that this lad has a big future. First off, he seems to possess a deal of technical ability. His first touch is good, he can pass off either foot and he already has the ability to calmly create space and time for himself when he needs to.  He already looks a cultured player at just 19 years of age and I'm really excited about his prospects. Critically though, while seemingly very calm and controlled, he's happy to mix it with anyone, without being silly. He's deceptively strong and if he even fills out a little, he's going to be a handful. He certainly won't be bullied.

Tenuous perhaps, but further confidence can be gleaned from the three year contract which firmly suggests this view is at least in part shared by the club. I strongly fancy this is another shrewd bit of business and mindful of the long game, one with a significant potential upside for the club. Fanciful perhaps, but the close-knit timing of Knight's move and this deal being done is not lost on me and I could see this lad a year or two from now replacing the high-energy ratting role as a ball-playing, ball-winning CDM, more akin to Gorgeous George and arguably better suited to the Championship. Well we can dream, right!

As for now, a considered loan for a month or two to a club where he could expect to gain experience in a DM role would seem an eminently sensible next step though my hunch is that he may be pressing for senior squad selection by the end of the current season, assuming PW shares the view that he is suited to the midfield role.

Welcome to Derby, Jake, again! 

COYR

If only Rooney would fill out more.

Now that’s something I never heard anyone say about his cousin.