Players Budget 22/23

sage

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

The thread is about a player budget… unless you think Rooney can still play ?

He may have to!

he can play alright, he may not move much.

A bit early for you but Liverpool had a wonderful player called Jan Molby who did not move much but boy he could play. In those days players fitness was nowhere near today's, his stats for ground covered would not have registered.  The newspaper reports always refered him as Barrel chested or slightly rotund Jan Molby, always made me smile.

16 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

He may have to!

A bit early for you but Liverpool had a wonderful player called Jan Molby who did not move much but boy he could play. In those days players fitness was nowhere near today's, his stats for ground covered would not have registered.  The newspaper reports always refered him as Barrel chested or slightly rotund Jan Molby, always made me smile.

I bloody hope not! The guy couldn’t even pass wind by the end of his time on the pitch for us. Wasn’t even just his terrible fitness, he totally lost it.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I bloody hope not! The guy couldn’t even pass wind by the end of his time on the pitch for us. Wasn’t even just his terrible fitness, he totally lost it.

Of course not. My original post was very much about the financial aspect. If the rumours are true he is far and away the highest wage (and cost i guess) yet it is hardly ever mentioned when discussing our perilous situation. I want him to stay as a manager, the question is can we afford him? Perhaps Red32 are still paying his wages, in which case problem solved.

45 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

He may have to!

I remember Henrik Larsson saying "no one tackles as hard as Molby".

21 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Of course not. My original post was very much about the financial aspect. If the rumours are true he is far and away the highest wage (and cost i guess) yet it is hardly ever mentioned when discussing our perilous situation. I want him to stay as a manager, the question is can we afford him? Perhaps Red32 are still paying his wages, in which case problem solved.

The trouble is, theres nothing we can do about Rooneys wages, that’s why they’re hardly discussed. A manager isn’t like a player, you can’t easily get rid of them, unless they choose to resign / move elsewhere. The only way to get Rooneys wages off the books would be to sack him, which we also couldn’t afford. So, while I’m sure you’re right that his wages are obscene for a Championship manager yet alone League One, we’ll just have to keep paying it somehow for now. One year left on his deal, hopefully he gets us back up in that time.

37 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The trouble is, theres nothing we can do about Rooneys wages, that’s why they’re hardly discussed. A manager isn’t like a player, you can’t easily get rid of them, unless they choose to resign / move elsewhere. The only way to get Rooneys wages off the books would be to sack him, which we also couldn’t afford. So, while I’m sure you’re right that his wages are obscene for a Championship manager yet alone League One, we’ll just have to keep paying it somehow for now. One year left on his deal, hopefully he gets us back up in that time.

Or sign him up to a new longer deal on reduced wages, the selling point being we have to work to a business plan and reducing your wages will give you more headroom to try and build a competitive side. Can always incentivise him with one offs for promotion etc.

Need an owner in place to do that though.

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

When signed as a player coach I believe 32 Red were paying 75% of his wages I also believe his 18 month contract at that time was valued at £6 million so we were paying that but received 75% back in additional sponsorship for him being at the club, so the effective cost was £1.5 million to the club or for those who don’t do mathematics £1 million a season in real costs to the club. What he is now paid when he took over management is now pure guess work but I suspect it should be less. I also think the £1.5 million over 18 months was exceptional value for a player of his status despite his declining mobility.