Season ticket prices are going up, will ours?

Boycie

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Genuine question if someone buys a ST on the credit card and we go pop, can the credit card company refuse to refund anything as they could say you bought it fully aware of the risks. Or play silly buggers and say x many games were played therefore you have used "the service" you paid for 

As I understand is that they do offer some protection my best advice talk to your bank and see how you stand on that front.

10 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Genuine question if someone buys a ST on the credit card and we go pop, can the credit card company refuse to refund anything as they could say you bought it fully aware of the risks. Or play silly buggers and say x many games were played therefore you have used "the service" you paid for 

I strongly suspect that either credit cards won't be accepted or, much more likely, charge back etc won't be applicable. To be fair to the credit card companies, I don't really think we can expect them to provide such a guarantee for a purchase made from a business already in administration. 

If you could claim, I wouldn't describe it as playing silly buggers and think you should only claim for the portion unused. You couldn't expect a full refund if half the season had been completed.

Under Section 75, if your transaction is over £100 you are protected from your purchase and that is an agreement from the credit card company to you. They will be the ones that refund you. So you will be covered. There will be forms though... we all love forms. 

42 minutes ago, Russell Ram said:

Under Section 75, if your transaction is over £100 you are protected from your purchase and that is an agreement from the credit card company to you. They will be the ones that refund you. So you will be covered. There will be forms though... we all love forms. 

You may be correct (I have actually used charge back before) but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is some clause somewhere that excludes purchases made from businesses already in administration (it does seem harsh that the credit card companies/banks have to guarantee such a known higher risk purchase). So, I wouldn't necessarily rely on this protection without checking first. 

Happy to be corrected, but I am 99% certain that I recall a time when season tickets could not be purchased by credit card, as the credit card companies refused.  "Football was too risky", I guess?
I'm also 99% certain that was in general, ie all season tickets for all football clubs.  

No idea whether that applied to other sports?

Less certain of just how far back I'm going?  10 years?  20 years?  Never happened?  Lord knows!

Just found this... from 2013...

City fans can now buy their season tickets using credit cards after a company stepped in to underwrite the payments.

Supporters were angry that the club, like many others in the Coca-Cola league, would not be able to accept credit card payments.

As reported in yesterday's Echo, new legislation meant credit companies would not release lump sums of money to the club as season ticket sales came in and would only release the money in small amounts at a time.

Reading further, it appears I was half right... Credit companies wouldn't hand over the full amount up front to the club(s), so it appears that it was the clubs that stipulated "No credit card payments" for season tickets.

Also notice it states "Coca-Cola League", so I guess the credit companies had a little more faith in the well-to-do prem clubs remaining solvent!  ?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/club-allow-season-tickets-bought-2349985

Edited by Mucker1884