Rumenco

Gaspode

From the photos and videos on the telegraph website, it looks like pretty much the whole place has gone up in flames - bit of a shocker. I must have driven past it many 100s of times and know a few folk that work there. No reports of casualties so hope everyone (both at the factory and in the surrounding area) is safe.....

9 hours ago, Gaspode said:

From the photos and videos on the telegraph website, it looks like pretty much the whole place has gone up in flames - bit of a shocker. I must have driven past it many 100s of times and know a few folk that work there. No reports of casualties so hope everyone (both at the factory and in the surrounding area) is safe.....

No casualties or injuries, everyone was evacuated safely but the factory is destroyed and the locals told to keep windows shut due to potentially poisonous chemicals.

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I don’t get how things like this happen. Surely there are so many rules and regs in place now that it’s almost impossible to start a major fire. How does it all get so out of hand so quickly?

My wife heard someone on the news saying that the fire service were concerned about using water on the fire due to the amount of chemicals on site - you'd expect both Rumenco and the Fire Service would have a plan for any sort of incident and a clear idea of what was there and how it should be managed - the type of activities they carried out there meant that the whole place was potential disaster and yet it seems as if it caught them all on the hop...

There needs to be a serious investigation into how it started and why the powers that be didn't seem to be prepared....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

My wife heard someone on the news saying that the fire service were concerned about using water on the fire due to the amount of chemicals on site - you'd expect both Rumenco and the Fire Service would have a plan for any sort of incident and a clear idea of what was there and how it should be managed - the type of activities they carried out there meant that the whole place was potential disaster and yet it seems as if it caught them all on the hop...

There needs to be a serious investigation into how it started and why the powers that be didn't seem to be prepared....

They evacuated very successfully, which implies they had fair warning that there was an issue. I’ve never been in a situation where a fires gone out of hand like that, and I’m sure it’s very scary, but I just don’t get how a fire can get beyond the ‘fire extinguisher’ stage. It must get pretty big, pretty quick before anyone knows what’s happening.

Just now, TigerTedd said:

They evacuated very successfully, which implies they had fair warning that there was an issue. I’ve never been in a situation where a fires gone out of hand like that, and I’m sure it’s very scary, but I just don’t get how a fire can get beyond the ‘fire extinguisher’ stage. It must get pretty big, pretty quick before anyone knows what’s happening.

Smoke can very quickly make an industrial fire difficult to get at, a matter of seconds and you can't see or breathe to get close enough to use an extinguisher.

I passed near the site on the A38 at about 9.30 and it looked very dark and scary. There were two huge plumes of smoke coming from different ends of the building which seemed strange. I'm just very relieved that no one was hurt and I feel sad for all those people who worked there.

Back in 1968 I left school and statred work at Rumevite (part of Rumenco in Derby Road).

Two hours later I was loading a lorry with feed blocks when I fell backwards on to concrete and broke my arm. I went back six weeks later then left in December.

I was sad to hear that such a well established Burton firm had gone up in flames. The frontage looked unchanged from '68!

Very glad no one was injured!

Edited by Brammie Steve

On 01/04/2022 at 16:57, TigerTedd said:

Many years ago I attended a fire safety course at Kingsway fire station. To show how quickly a fire can spread. A fire was started in a small wastepaper bin next to the equivalent of an office desk. The speed the fire spread to the desk was incredible, making it harder to put out safely by anyone using  a standard fire extinguisher. The fire had to be put out by a couple of fire fighters using a hose connected to a water hydrant.

A few years later due to a major fire at the company I worked for, that required 12 fire appliances to get the fire under control. I got to see first hand the speed of a real fire and the devastation it caused.

On 01/04/2022 at 17:00, uttoxram75 said:

Smoke can very quickly make an industrial fire difficult to get at, a matter of seconds and you can't see or breathe to get close enough to use an extinguisher.

One fire safety course I was on used the Bradford fire as an example how quickly a fire can spread. In a matter of minutes, the whole stand was ablaze. 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Many years ago I attended a fire safety course at Kingsway fire station. To show how quickly a fire can spread. A fire was started in a small wastepaper bin next to the equivalent of an office desk. The speed the fire spread to the desk was incredible, making it harder to put out safely by anyone using  a standard fire extinguisher. The fire had to be put out by a couple of fire fighters using a hose connected to a water hydrant.

A few years later due to a major fire at the company I worked for, that required 12 fire appliances to get the fire under control. I got to see first hand the speed of a real fire and the devastation it caused.

Blimey. And yet I still struggle to light a bbq, even with firelighters.