Spider-man: no way home

TigerTedd

35 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

My 10 year old has just got me into them. So far we've watched Captain America and Captain Marvel. Iron Man is Friday nights viewing apparently.  There seem to be quite a lot to get through. Might be a while before I get to the new spiderman. But I am excited though.

Excellent. I’m envious of you, I wish I could start it all again. Although it does set my teeth on edge that you’re not watching them in the right order. But it’s all good..

There are a fair few to get through. Plus Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3. Plus The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2. 

And then you have to the New Rockstars Easter Egg breakdown for them all on You Tube (I’m about to do that now, I’m almost as excited as I was about seeing the film).

And then, in a few weeks, you have to wee as tech the HISHE (How It Should Have Ended). 

Every MCU property is this whole ritual now. Takes about 2 hours to watch an episode of Hawkeye by the time we e watched all the breakdowns and picked out all the Easter eggs and connections. Me and my wife love it. 

43 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Are we not?? I'll have to have a word with the boss - he's assured me he knows what he's doing!

If you did captain America then captain marvel, then you’re going in chronological order. Always wanted to give that a go. 

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/disney/147514-mcu-timeline-best-marvel-movie-show-viewing-order.amphtml

and you should watch the Netflix defenders series’ sometime after the first avengers. 

Edited by TigerTedd
It’s amazing how an apostrophe can make all the difference.

29 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

If you did captain America then captain marvel, then you’re going in chronological order. Always wanted to give that a go. 

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/disney/147514-mcu-timeline-best-marvel-movie-show-viewing-order.amphtml

and you should watch the Netflix defenders series’ sometime after the first avengers. 

Ah! Diana Rigg. Brings back happy memories.

Loved Spider-Man NWH. Few gasps in the cinema, which added to the moments.

Im an MCU fan, and enjoy the movies for what they are. We have reached a point where people are going to start losing track of different storylines and characters across the TV shows and movies, but for me it all just adds to the excitement. I’m really looking forward to seeing where they are going to take things.

Doctor Strange next. Looks like things are going to kick on another level. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's the release order and the chronological order - you're doing the latter, which I think is better.

Yep. I’ve not done the chronological order yet, but that’s the plan the next time I watch through. Hopefully with my son, who is nearly old enough to watch (and appreciate) all of them!

• 2 weeks later...

Been avoiding this thread like the plague - just got around to watching it.

Excellent film, lots of laughs and a few curve balls that kept it from being to telegraphed.  

Enjoyed the ending and sets up future Spiderman and the new Dr Strange movies nicely.  Far better than the recent Marvel movies which tbh have been a bit of a let down.

25 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Been avoiding this thread like the plague - just got around to watching it.

Excellent film, lots of laughs and a few curve balls that kept it from being to telegraphed.  

Enjoyed the ending and sets up future Spiderman and the new Dr Strange movies nicely.  Far better than the recent Marvel movies which tbh have been a bit of a let down.

I saw a thing on Facebook asking for people to vote for the best Marvel film this year. Don’t get me wrong, I will happily watch all Marvel content, they can do no wrong in my eyes, (possibly with the exception of the inhumans, that was a bit bank), but when voting for the best, there’s no contest this year. There were about 34,000 votes and they were all for spider-man. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I saw a thing on Facebook asking for people to vote for the best Marvel film this year. Don’t get me wrong, I will happily watch all Marvel content, they can do no wrong in my eyes, (possibly with the exception of the inhumans, that was a bit bank), but when voting for the best, there’s no contest this year. There were about 34,000 votes and they were all for spider-man. 

Yeah I have Disney+ and watch all of the TV Shows as well.  I got drawn into the MCU by my kids and had to wait until the eldest returned from Uni to watch this one - then Christmas stuff took over so we just got around to watching it before he goes back on Monday. 

This Spiderman film felt more like the old Thanos MCU, the newer ones are setting up a new MCU that doesn't have the same appeal (at least not yet).  I'm hoping the next Dr Strange film will start to make things make a bit more sense, although tbh it took a few movies the first time around before they started to develop the greater arc.

We really enjoyed this one though, the only complaint was that it felt a bit light on action - the fight scenes were a little underwhelming, but I guess the story was more about the multiverse and related humour than the big battles we have become used to.  Still up there as a top tier MCU movie though ? 

@maxjam @TigerTedd it’s great to hear that others are very much in the same category as me - love the MCU and Marvel films/shows for what they are, without knowing every little detail of the comics and therefore have huge expectations for characters and storylines.

I’m looking forward to seeing where they take the main storyline from here. There are some really good additions already, especially Jonathan Majors as Kang!

In terms of movies this year, I’d say I really enjoyed Black Widow and Shang-Chi for what they were. Eternals was too long and not enough to make it memorable sadly. SpiderMan was excellent, but that could have been due to nostalgia rather than being a good movie. But who cares, it was great!

Whats even better is that the 2022 slate of movies was the one I was more excited for anyone, even more so now!

8 hours ago, r4derby said:

@maxjam @TigerTedd it’s great to hear that others are very much in the same category as me - love the MCU and Marvel films/shows for what they are, without knowing every little detail of the comics and therefore have huge expectations for characters and storylines.

I’m looking forward to seeing where they take the main storyline from here. There are some really good additions already, especially Jonathan Majors as Kang!

In terms of movies this year, I’d say I really enjoyed Black Widow and Shang-Chi for what they were. Eternals was too long and not enough to make it memorable sadly. SpiderMan was excellent, but that could have been due to nostalgia rather than being a good movie. But who cares, it was great!

Whats even better is that the 2022 slate of movies was the one I was more excited for anyone, even more so now!

Really excited by doctor strange, black panther 2 should be good, and Thor love and thunder should be a riot, Taika Waititi can do no wrong. Is blade coming out this year as well? Think it might be later, but i can’t wait for that. 

I don’t know the comics. And I think that’s fine and almost how it should be. This is a new medium for a new audience. Although I do like watching the YouTube breakdowns afterwards to see where all the references were, and then pretending to my wife that I know what I’m taking about. 

9 hours ago, r4derby said:

I've never read a comic - well, maybe a few Beano's as a kid ?

I got into the MCU approx 33% of the way in, my kids were into them and I recall watching Iron Man one Christmas and enjoying Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark and it kinda took off from there.  As a huge Star Wars fan I really appreciate the universe Marvel have created (at least the film version of it) that uses the same actors and interconnecting stories etc

I missed Black Widow and Shang-Chi at the cinema as my eldest lad has been away at Uni, my wife isn't into those kinda movies so waited for them on Disney+.  Black Widow wasn't the best send off tbh and Shange-Chi was a bit... 'meh'.  Similar story with the Eternals, although its not out on Disney+ yet but I've seen the reviews...  Spiderman was a throwback to the movies I enjoyed however - despite the fantastic nature of the MCU, they always felt at least a tiny bit grounded in 'reality'.  Tony Starks tech, Cap being a war experiment, etc.  Even Thanos felt grounded in his strength and motivations. 

I don't know what is coming up in the MCU but have seen more fanciful characters and villains mentioned (Galactus) which will have to be very well written to keep me entertained.  Spiderman movies felt like the MCU I knew and loved, Shang-Chi and potentially the Eternals when I get around to watching it, less so. 

I'm hoping that Dr Strange Into the Multiverse will start to give this new MCU phase a little more depth and meaning rather than just throwing ever more fanciful and powerful characters at us.  As @TigerTedd says above I am also looking forwards to the new Thor film, Taika Waititi is a genius and Thor 3 was arguably the best of the bunch.

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I've never read a comic - well, maybe a few Beano's as a kid ?

I got into the MCU approx 33% of the way in, my kids were into them and I recall watching Iron Man one Christmas and enjoying Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark and it kinda took off from there.  As a huge Star Wars fan I really appreciate the universe Marvel have created (at least the film version of it) that uses the same actors and interconnecting stories etc

I missed Black Widow and Shang-Chi at the cinema as my eldest lad has been away at Uni, my wife isn't into those kinda movies so waited for them on Disney+.  Black Widow wasn't the best send off tbh and Shange-Chi was a bit... 'meh'.  Similar story with the Eternals, although its not out on Disney+ yet but I've seen the reviews...  Spiderman was a throwback to the movies I enjoyed however - despite the fantastic nature of the MCU, they always felt at least a tiny bit grounded in 'reality'.  Tony Starks tech, Cap being a war experiment, etc.  Even Thanos felt grounded in his strength and motivations. 

I don't know what is coming up in the MCU but have seen more fanciful characters and villains mentioned (Galactus) which will have to be very well written to keep me entertained.  Spiderman movies felt like the MCU I knew and loved, Shang-Chi and potentially the Eternals when I get around to watching it, less so. 

I'm hoping that Dr Strange Into the Multiverse will start to give this new MCU phase a little more depth and meaning rather than just throwing ever more fanciful and powerful characters at us.  As @TigerTedd says above I am also looking forwards to the new Thor film, Taika Waititi is a genius and Thor 3 was arguably the best of the bunch.

When they first said they were doing guardians of the galaxy, people said they’d jumped the shark, that they were going to lose the earth based grounded-ness of the films so far. Thor had arguably been the worst one at that point. But they absolutely smashed it, and proved they can go a bit crazier and at this point people will go along with it. Then they did doctor strange and critics were like, people won’t like magic in the MCU, but they smashed it again.

So now they’re thinking about bringing in supernatural stuff, vampires, zombies, and multiversal stuff, and it might seem fanciful now, but I’m like, whatever Marvel, just take my money. In Fiege we trust.

Actually, Thor was a really important film when you think about it, as it teased the idea of magic (being science we just don’t understand yet) and space based adventures. But they did really well in basing 80% of it in a small town in New Mexico, so as not to scare the crap out of people with a great wide universe from day 1. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

When they first said they were doing guardians of the galaxy, people said they’d jumped the shark, that they were going to lose the earth based grounded-ness of the films so far. Thor had arguably been the worst one at that point. But they absolutely smashed it, and proved they can go a bit crazier and at this point people will go along with it. Then they did doctor strange and critics were like, people won’t like magic in the MCU, but they smashed it again.

So now they’re thinking about bringing in supernatural stuff, vampires, zombies, and multiversal stuff, and it might seem fanciful now, but I’m like, whatever Marvel, just take my money. In Fiege we trust.

Actually, Thor was a really important film when you think about it, as it teased the idea of magic (being science we just don’t understand yet) and space based adventures. But they did really well in basing 80% of it in a small town in New Mexico, so as not to scare the crap out of people with a great wide universe from day 1. 

Yeah I have to admit I'd never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy and that turned out to be one of my favourites ? 

I'm not against the more supernatural stuff, but its got to be well written (for me at least) - just adding more powers and abilities imho leads to power creep and Captain Marvel single handedly flying through Thanos ship and destroying it.

As mentioned, I'm hoping Dr Strange will introduce the multiverse and more fanciful characters in a suitable manner and future movies will be better written than Shang-Chi which I found to be disappointing and the Eternals which is only hovering around 50% on Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes.

23 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

When you look at the roster of characters, particularly key ones, that Marvel have, there are a lot who are based around big powers much bigger than a human dressed in a costume. They were going to move in this direction, so how they did it was important. When you look at the Infinity Saga, Endgame was the perfect ending to the first Earth based phases. They will now go bigger, cosmic and sillier. Some will get off the MCU train at this point, but many will have your mentality which is Feige - show us what you got! And that’s where I am too.

23 hours ago, maxjam said:

Yeah I have to admit I'd never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy and that turned out to be one of my favourites ? 

I'm not against the more supernatural stuff, but its got to be well written (for me at least) - just adding more powers and abilities imho leads to power creep and Captain Marvel single handedly flying through Thanos ship and destroying it.

As mentioned, I'm hoping Dr Strange will introduce the multiverse and more fanciful characters in a suitable manner and future movies will be better written than Shang-Chi which I found to be disappointing and the Eternals which is only hovering around 50% on Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes.

There will be a natural power curve, leaving some heroes behind sadly. Like how could Hawkeye compete with an Eternal? He couldn’t. But with bigger bads coming, Marvel will have to ensure that the storylines still make some sense, even in a fantastical fiction sense.

Thought Eternals was slow and a bit dull. It suffered from too many super powered people fighting new ‘grey’ baddies. It felt a bit too much of a jump in terms of power curve. Shang Chi I thought was really good. He’s powerful but not ridiculously so and it introduced dragons to the universe. Along with vampires, zombies, and other bizarre creatures, it could appear a bit too much. But now that the multiverse is a thing, they’ve got the ability to tell those stories without impacting the main stories too much!

3 minutes ago, r4derby said:

When you look at the roster of characters, particularly key ones, that Marvel have, there are a lot who are based around big powers much bigger than a human dressed in a costume. They were going to move in this direction, so how they did it was important. When you look at the Infinity Saga, Endgame was the perfect ending to the first Earth based phases. They will now go bigger, cosmic and sillier. Some will get off the MCU train at this point, but many will have your mentality which is Feige - show us what you got! And that’s where I am too.

There will be a natural power curve, leaving some heroes behind sadly. Like how could Hawkeye compete with an Eternal? He couldn’t. But with bigger bads coming, Marvel will have to ensure that the storylines still make some sense, even in a fantastical fiction sense.

Thought Eternals was slow and a bit dull. It suffered from too many super powered people fighting new ‘grey’ baddies. It felt a bit too much of a jump in terms of power curve. Shang Chi I thought was really good. He’s powerful but not ridiculously so and it introduced dragons to the universe. Along with vampires, zombies, and other bizarre creatures, it could appear a bit too much. But now that the multiverse is a thing, they’ve got the ability to tell those stories without impacting the main stories too much!

And if it all goes wrong, they can just switch to a different universe, where none of that exists.