A little note to the team

hydraulic ram

No idea if anyone from the club reads this forum, but after Saturday I have to remind the team of something they maybe don't see so clearly. I'm not a great motivation guy like @B4ev6is but I'll give it a try!

OK, no doubt enough has been said about Saturday. Its gone and that's it. But this club still has its destiny in it's own hands and there's something else. This team has an opportunity that is a rare as hen's teeth - this team could reach the status of legendary. 

The chance to become a club legend is something a player may see maybe once in a career - if they are lucky. Plenty of great players never reach that level, they are remembered dimly after they move on - but legends, now they are always in the fans minds. Its a simple fact, become a legend, get footballing immortality.

If this team pulls off the impossible escape from the drop they achieve legend status, and some. Not only do they get the accolade this year, but this team would also irritate the EFL at the highest level, they would be remembered with pain by the teams they relegate for years, they would get so far up the red dogs noses they wont stop moaning about it for decades, for heavens sake if this team survives they give a level 11+ butt-hurt to a certain Middlesbrough owner - surely that level of legend is worth any amount of effort and application.

Its your big chance, it's all down to you, no one else. Theres plenty of games and the points can be yours. We the fans will support long, loud and proud, but you need to do the stuff on the grass - grab every single point you can, even if its a pain and a struggle. If you can't win, keep a draw, if you are heading for a point, push for three. Don't be satisfied with "also ran" and grab your chance at immortality with two hands!

Play for that status because quite simply - you won't get a better chance of getting it. And if you do it, you won't be forgotten - this club has a long memory.

Be remembered as the Rams legends who did not give up despite it all, not forgotten as the relegation squad.

Nice thought.

... but ask yourself this... When was the last time you went into work aiming to achieve legendary status? 

Your photo on the factory wall?  Your name on a lifetime achievement certificate on the staffroom notice board?  Possibly your name etched into the mahogany roll of honour up on the equally mahogany'd wall panelling in the boardroom? Maybe staff and customers alike applauding you and showering you in that not-at-all-annoying silvery, glittery fairy dust stuff, as you wave goodbye to work life, and hello to a long yearned for retirement?  

You may like the idea of being a Rams legend.  I know I certainly do... even today, closing in fast on my 59th birthday!  I still score cup-final winning goals on a nightly basis!  I strongly suspect many others on here quite fancy the idea too.

But how many of our players spent their childhood dreaming of Rams immortality?  They may have dreamt of football legendry, but how many of them will be remembered... by name... by football fans in general, in ten years time, should they treat us all to Championship survival this season?

Like I say (*Nod to Richard, our last Rams legend!  ?), it's a nice thought.  And I certainly hope the players take more notice of your post, and your positivity, than mine.

Don't get me wrong, I can see them doing enough to avoid the drop.  And I'm damn sure there will be celebration all round, if they do.
What I can't see, is them waking each morning with a desire and a will to become Derby County legends.

?

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Nice thought.

... but ask yourself this... When was the last time you went into work aiming to achieve legendary status? 

Your photo on the factory wall?  Your name on a lifetime achievement certificate on the staffroom notice board?  Possibly your name etched into the mahogany roll of honour up on the equally mahogany'd wall panelling in the boardroom? Maybe staff and customers alike applauding you and showering you in that not-at-all-annoying silvery, glittery fairy dust stuff, as you wave goodbye to work life, and hello to a long yearned for retirement?  

You may like the idea of being a Rams legend.  I know I certainly do... even today, closing in fast on my 59th birthday!  I still score cup-final winning goals on a nightly basis!  I strongly suspect many others on here quite fancy the idea too.

But how many of our players spent their childhood dreaming of Rams immortality?  They may have dreamt of football legendry, but how many of them will be remembered... by name... by football fans in general, in ten years time, should they treat us all to Championship survival this season?

Like I say (*Nod to Richard, our last Rams legend!  ?), it's a nice thought.  And I certainly hope the players take more notice of your post, and your positivity, than mine.

Don't get me wrong, I can see them doing enough to avoid the drop.  And I'm damn sure there will be celebration all round, if they do.
What I can't see, is them waking each morning with a desire and a will to become Derby County legends.

?

If they all all have the same attitude on the pitch as Curtis Davies then they can.