Building from the back

Carl Sagan

It's tough to say because I think there is an argument that the system is largely working in that we are creating good chances, just not taking them. The system we've built is essentially designed so that two wide attacking players can come narrow into a whole pile of space in front of the back 4 and that the full backs can push aggressively high and wide. The main issue with this is the players that are being provided the levels of freedom to exploit aren't really making the most of it. For example Lawrence has had enough opportunities in the last 3 games that he should have at least bagged a couple goals and therein lies the issue if the system is set up to get the most out of Lawrence but he's not providing is it the right system ?

Truth be told I do think there are tweaks we can make in terms of personnel in order to get significantly more out of the system from an attacking perspective.

Byrne -> Ebosele

The system is designed to give the fullbacks an aggressive amount of license to get forwards and so we need players there who make the most of it. This might be a controversial suggestion but I think this an area we might gain quite a significant amount from with one simple change; drop Byrne. Byrne is good at gaining half a yard on a player and floating a ball into the box but the problem with such a delivery is it's generally easy to defend, especially if you lack players good in the air. This means that a big chunk of his attacking output is just wasted possession. He doesn't really have the pace, physicality or dribbling ability to properly beat his man to get closer to the box to drill the ball in. I don't think it's a coincidence that we looked sharper in attack in the cup with Ebosele or Mcdonald playing there. 

It might seem an aggressive choice but Ebosele carries significantly more threat in similar positions that will lead to a higher creation of chances as well especially as teams will have to start to compensate opening more space elsewhere.

Shinnie -> Knight -> Bielik

Shinnie is a fan favourite but he causes a fair few issues in our ability to play out through midfield especially as it means the midfield is imbalanced because teams know he's not comfortable. Switching in Knight there gives somebody who is more comfortable on the ball so there is a better balance and somebody who's good at really driving forwards with the ball which I think you need a little of in a 4231 to help break a team's shape. With that it means we have a better chance of pulling a team out of position and therefore creating chances.

(The later switch to a fit Bielik I don't think requires explaining).

The Front 3

This one of the elements that I think we are still striving for the right balance. Strangely to some I think it's noticeable that we miss Jozwiak when he isn't playing because he has the best linkup play and the ball sticks far better to him than that it does our other forward options. Sibley I really rate but if a defender gets touch tight to him he's a little easy to bump off the ball right now. Lawrence can score from nowhere but can also be pretty wasteful. Baldock has good movement but his finishing is lacking. Stretton I like the look of and wouldn't mind getting a run but it's hard to say for sure whether it will click.

Personally I think our attack looked the most fluid and dangerous against Forest and I think that's where I'd probably start with option of bringing on Stretton.

Stretton isn't going to net more than 5 or 6 this season I don't think. It's not saying he'll never come good but he's never played league football before and it's unrealistic to expect much more than that from him.  Especially when he's up top on his own the system doesn't quite work as well as it does even with Baldock for my money. Baldock and CKR are going to struggle to break into double figures too and might contribute between 8-9 a piece. If we're going to stay up I think we'll need to find some more goals from somewhere as even with just a 12 point penalty the defensive record isn't going to be enough to save us. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Stretton isn't going to net more than 5 or 6 this season I don't think. It's not saying he'll never come good but he's never played league football before and it's unrealistic to expect much more than that from him.  Especially when he's up top on his own the system doesn't quite work as well as it does even with Baldock for my money. Baldock and CKR are going to struggle to break into double figures too and might contribute between 8-9 a piece. If we're going to stay up I think we'll need to find some more goals from somewhere as even with just a 12 point penalty the defensive record isn't going to be enough to save us. 

Stretton needs much better service. 

At present he's struggling with Lawrence, who rarely passes close to goal, and a tendency from other players to play the ball 'into space' which invariably means playing the ball closer to the full back than to Stretton. 

If you watch him, he takes up better positions than other forwards but perhaps doesn't demand the ball forcefully enough. 

I think if he gets the ball to his feet he will create chances. 

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Stretton needs much better service. 

At present he's struggling with Lawrence, who rarely passes close to goal, and a tendency from other players to play the ball 'into space' which invariably means playing the ball closer to the full back than to Stretton. 

If you watch him, he takes up better positions than other forwards but perhaps doesn't demand the ball forcefully enough. 

I think if he gets the ball to his feet he will create chances. 

At times he needs better service, at other times it's that he's in a role that doesn't necessarily suit him being the lone front man and there have also been times (as with all young players) that he's been a bit naive or been quickly sussed out by cb's.  I can't see him getting into double figures this year, it's 1/4 of the way through the season and he's got 1 goal. I'd expect he might get between 4-7 but that's going to be about it i think unless something changes.