Happy Birthday Derby County!

Ellafella

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Read “the men who made the Rams”. 

Is it definitely worth £16.79 (on Amazon) just to confirm the date! ?

Although is it a good read?

The blurb says that it lists every player from 1884 - 1888, which didn't sound overly exciting! But, it also mentions that Derby were the youngest club to be founder members of the football League in 1888, and I imagine that how that came about could be quite a tale.

I guess that I should buy it. Costs less than one match day ticket.

Edited by Ken Tram

14 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Is it definitely worth £16.79 (on Amazon) just to confirm the date! ?

Although is it a good read?

The blurb says that it lists every player from 1884 - 1888, which didn't sound overly exciting! But, it also mentions that Derby were the youngest club to be founder members of the football League in 1888, and I imagine that how that came about could be quite a tale.

I guess that I should buy it. Costs less than one match day ticket.

See the photo I posted above. The caption below gives the clue ...”The first official announcement 8th May 1884.

It is a brilliant book. I promise you. Great read and beautifully written and thoroughly researched using original and genuine sources. 
There is of course a bit of hoo-haa about the formation ...but I won’t spoil it for you.  Back then Derbyshire FA { not the EFL} were the enemy...and there was politics galore. Plus ca change! 

Edited by Ellafella

Just now, Ellafella said:

See the photo I posted above. The caption below gives the clue ...”The first official announcement 8th May 1884.

It is a brilliant book. I promise you. Great read and beautifully written and thoroughly researched using original and genuine sources. 

?

Just now, Ellafella said:

My date was wrong. Maybe I just copied and pasted something from a random website into my calendar!

But just to check with your date: initial announcements in newspapers are not necessarily the date that decisions were actually taken and agreed ... although, maybe the decision was taken during the day on Thursday 8th, and announced in an evening edition of a newspaper? What does the book say?

Either way, I thought that it was a great coincidence that you spotted!

Just now, Ken Tram said:

My date was wrong. Maybe I just copied and pasted something from a random website into my calendar!

But just to check with your date: initial announcements in newspapers are not necessarily the date that decisions were actually taken and agreed ... although, maybe the decision was taken during the day on Thursday 8th, and announced in an evening edition of a newspaper? What does the book say?

Either way, I thought that it was a great coincidence that you spotted!

Read the book @Ken Tramand all will be revealed...I won’t spoil it for you. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'll buy it then! (Although list time I bought a book on Amazon, the Royal Mail ended up sending it back to the seller. I hate the Royal Mail as it is these days!)

Just now, Ken Tram said:

I'll buy it then! (Although list time I bought a book on Amazon, the Royal Mail ended up sending it back to the seller. I hate the Royal Mail as it is these days!)

Hang on Ken you're getting your quotes wrong, I didn't say that I've not read it. Maybe the local library has a copy, try before you buy?