Derby no longer taking the knee before matches

Day

Wasn't taking the knee one of these nonsense political statements that 'we care' 

Do they actually do anything or do they just investigate and say thoughtful things. 

What the punishment for a footballer being racist to another player? What's the punishment for what happened to England players in Spain or Serbia or wherever it was where racist abuse was obviously a continuous problem. 

Grand gestures for applause. Denouncing racism. Looking for racism in places where there isn't any so as to look busy rather than making difficult decisions to actually stop it. That Kick It Out etc. 

I fully agree with what's been said by that Ivan Toney and the Swansea player. Also police said that following up a racist complaint is hard when the clubs don't actually give access. 

That's football all over. Full of poo. Concerned with it's image but not to the point where it might have to actually accept its full of poo. Does anyone in football accept they're wrong? Ever?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ramit said:

Should never have been done in the first place.  Keep politics out of football, no exceptions.

Agree entirely. The context in America (I strongly supported Kaepernick there, inspired hilariously as he was by Iain Duncan Smith) was that it was kneeling for the national anthem. At every American sporting event they play the national anthem and the crowd stands as one with their hands on their hearts and sing with the players. The gesture was saying I love and respect my country, but I want things to change for the better because this cannot go on.

It was completely out of context here in the UK and was a serious error of judgement to abandon the "Kick It Out" message and specifically adopt and promote the highly politicized BLM campaign with all its accompanying woke overtones of overthrowing capitalism, defunding the police and promoting concepts such as white privilege. It would never have happened, or at least lasted, with fans in the grounds here.

It did what it was designed to do, highlight the problems associated with racism. Every time someone said it shouldn't have been done, every post on Facebook highlighting when someone didn't it, every bit of coverage it got, all of it kept the subject in focus which was the objective in the first instance.

As campaigns go, it was extremely effective, people got hung up on taking the knee which was the main reason it worked so well.

Archived