Reddit vs. the Hedge Funds

therealhantsram

Is this an interesting use of social media for good? 

A bunch of folks on Reddit are taking on hedge funds that short stock and help drive companies out of business.

Members are teaming up to buy stock in struggling firms so that the Hedge Funds lose their bets.

Hard not to chortle at the thought of billionaires getting a taste of their own medicine... And poised to lose millions.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/27/22251964/amc-stock-price-reddit-wallstreetbets-trading-gamestop?scrolla=5eb6d68b7fedc32c19ef33b4

I know a few people here recently have said they have been dabbling in the stock market. Curious about your thoughts on it and whether you would get involved?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Is this an interesting use of social media for good? 

A bunch of folks on Reddit are taking on hedge funds that short stock and help drive companies out of business.

Members are teaming up to buy stock in struggling firms so that the Hedge Funds lose their bets.

Hard not to chortle at the thought of billionaires getting a taste of their own medicine... And poised to lose millions.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/27/22251964/amc-stock-price-reddit-wallstreetbets-trading-gamestop?scrolla=5eb6d68b7fedc32c19ef33b4

I know a few people here recently have said they have been dabbling in the stock market. Curious about your thoughts on it and whether you would get involved?

It's an interesting social movement, responding to vulture capitalism, but as an investment strategy it seems incredibly high risk. It may also be a short-lived fad. I certainly wouldn't touch it, although I tend to be a low/medium risk investor in any case.

I suspect this is politically motivated by people who don’t understand how hedge funds work. When I research wether I decide to buy a share I look to see if any hedge fund has taken out a short position on the share I am considering to buy, professional people will have more knowledge than me on the financial state of a company so it helps anyone who is considering buying into any company that is trying to hoodwink any private investor by dubious accounting.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/100913/basics-short-selling.asphttps://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/100913/basics-short-selling.asp

I was reading a long twitter thread on this just now which was a good explainer

I'm not sure this ends well  -much as it's easy to hate hedge funds, they do unfortunately play an important part in the ponsi scheme we call the global economy. Way more people will suffer from hedge funds folding than just a handful of vulture capitalists

If any good comes from it, it will be the more widespread awareness that hedge funds manipulate markets all the time and the whole system is rigged. Until now, when those same mechanisms are used against them. Funny that these hedge funds are calling for a subreddit to be investigated for market manipulation! They need to be careful what they wish for

I'm finding this hilarious. Some short sellers have done some good in the past in exposing weak or shoddy companies but this particular hedge fund getting screwed over now is one that's been consistently kicking down the price of GameStop stocks to make cash.

The hedge funds were speculatively betting that the stock will go down in price and it hasn't and now they're being punished for their out-of-control gambling.

The kicker is that none of this illegal, this is the equivalent of reading an investment paper or blog and deciding to purchase a stock.

All the discussions are talking about new regulation to stop this happening in the future.

14 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

And I think we may shortly find out how well those regulations are applied...and to whom

Unfortunately it takes time to prosecute because you need credible evidence hopefully the guilty people at JPM will be serving time in jail and should never be allowed to work in the banking industry again.

AOC as usual as no credible evidence to back up her many bizarre statements.

I don’t get involved in any politics on Twitter  it’s just full of idiots from both sides

33 minutes ago, cstand said:

Unfortunately it takes time to prosecute because you need credible evidence hopefully the guilty people at JPM will be serving time in jail and should never be allowed to work in the banking industry again.

I don’t get involved in any politics on Twitter  it’s just full of idiots from both sides

Reddit side of things have done nothing wrong. 

34 minutes ago, cstand said:

What do you mean no credible evidence? Are you genuinely trying to say Wall Streeters have always done good?

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

And I think we may shortly find out how well those regulations are applied...and to whom

Just read on LSE board their next target is silver Noooooooooooooooooooooo make it gold, if gold soars my ggp shares are going into orbit. 

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Reddit side of things have done nothing wrong. 

What do you mean no credible evidence? Are you genuinely trying to say Wall Streeters have always done good?

Off to buy silver shares before the Reddit crowd get involved don’t you just love capitalism 

Archived