Brian Clough in his own words

Curtains

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the pleasure in meeting BC, Nigel and Simon Clough played for AC Hunters(yellow Forest kit)early 80s, We got thumped 6-0, I was in goal, Our keeper never turned up ?

As much as I could with encouragement from the sticks it was pretty futile, After the game BC came up to me and said "young man you're a credit to the game" "yes Brian I said, Only because I let 6 in"

This is how BC actually is, There was a team from Alvaston/Allenton Corronation 81, All Derby lads who never gave a quarter, Playing AC Hunters with their Forest kit on was a red rag to a bull, There was history between the clubs...a kicking game, In one match a Correnation 81 player suffered a bad knee injury, Taken to hospital, BC made contact with the club and asked how the player was...not too good, The players rehabilitation was taken care of by the Forest medical department and the player resumes his football months later...never again was there any problems with Corronation 81 when playing AC Hunters.

A clever man was our Brian.

I've told this story before but it was a great day, so you're getting it again.

Early 1970. At primary school, teacher ran an essay competition...who would you most like to meet?

Kevin Hector, of course.

A classmate said Archie Gemmill.

So our teacher arranged for us to attend a Derby County training session, just the three of us. It was held at the BBG. We had a tour of the changing rooms, the wall-ball wall seen on videos of the Clough kids, met all the players (ironically I missed getting Zak's autograph until years later) and the great man himself.

We were invited into his office, shook hands, signed autographs and chatted. Absolutely brilliant.

Honestly, I know it's cliched, but I did not wash my hand for a week (pre-covid).

Great day.

Met BC again a few years later, when he was running (I think) his brother's newagents in Bramcote on a Sunday morning. Pleasant conversation but I regretted not asking about the "aborted return". I blame Peter Taylor for that but we have had that discussion on here before.

2 hours ago, neil62uk said:

Malcolm Allison isn't on this video ...the video I'm making reference to is called BRIAN CLOUGH ON SPORT IN QUESTION ...1995 .....?

Yeah, that is the one in which he was drunk.
Regards Malcolm Allison, I was getting mixed up because he was often on with Big Mal on the panel for big matches.

4 hours ago, James Pond said:

I've had the pleasure in meeting BC, Nigel and Simon Clough played for AC Hunters(yellow Forest kit)early 80s, We got thumped 6-0, I was in goal, Our keeper never turned up ?

As much as I could with encouragement from the sticks it was pretty futile, After the game BC came up to me and said "young man you're a credit to the game" "yes Brian I said, Only because I let 6 in"

This is how BC actually is, There was a team from Alvaston/Allenton Corronation 81, All Derby lads who never gave a quarter, Playing AC Hunters with their Forest kit on was a red rag to a bull, There was history between the clubs...a kicking game, In one match a Correnation 81 player suffered a bad knee injury, Taken to hospital, BC made contact with the club and asked how the player was...not too good, The players rehabilitation was taken care of by the Forest medical department and the player resumes his football months later...never again was there any problems with Corronation 81 when playing AC Hunters.

He won't have done it for that reason though James. He was kind to young people particularly young footballers

6 hours ago, James Pond said:

Glad to here it wasn't the time Mark Crossley kept goal for AC HUNTERS  they got fined 50 quid for feilding a ringer ....and BC took it out of Crossley,s wages at Red Dogs ?

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

He won't have done it for that reason though James. He was kind to young people particularly young footballers

Let me try and clarify, AC Hunters were a young team, Late teens early 20s maybe with an old head thrown in, This was Sunday football, Coronation 81 were mid 20s and a real handfull on the pitch, At the Baseball ground in town at the weekends and in the Coronation pub, I new a good few of them.

Brian would be at every game that Hunters played, It wasn't pretty too watch, Majority of teams would make the Hunters game their priority because of the Clough name, Coronation 81 even more so.

So Brian being Brian did what I explained, BC won the Coronation players over by excellent treatment of one of their better players.

Believe me...Brian new full well how to skin a cat.

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, that is the one in which he was drunk.
Regards Malcolm Allison, I was getting mixed up because he was often on with Big Mal on the panel for big matches.

Never seen that before, it's quite sad really. These days he'd have someone making his excuses and leaving.

I’ve read a few biographies on him. Currently reading the Tony Francis biography.

Very interesting reading the accounts of the Protest movement and how close we were to getting him back.

basically george hardy blew the final negotiation according to this account.

Archived